KC Joyner Trolling: "Pats will have best secondary in 2014"

OP
OP
gulliver

gulliver

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3t9nrfw5 said:
I just want to point out that it's impossible to calculate SoS prior to the season. It's ALWAYS way off because of the parity in the NFL, teams rise and fall all the time. You can only look back after a season's over to find out how easy or hard any given schedule was.
No one is saying anything about 2014--the purpose of the link is to look back at SoS based on 2013 winning percentage.

Joyner points to stats from 2013 and earlier, but that SoS is comparatively weak. Saying the Pats are close to or even above the LOB based on their performances vs. the Jets, Bills and various other turds is silly.

And if there was any doubt, we played some of the same teams, as I pointed out earlier. The Pats, for example, won by an FG in OT at home to Denver--then lost handily on the road. We flat out blasted Denver 43-8 on the road on the biggest stage. Debate over.

Basis4day

Reaction score
What stood out as far as the authors logic was his stats claiming the Hawks were more susceptible to the deep ball than the Patriots were, and by adding Browner it stands to reason they will be even better. My most clear memory of the Hawks getting torched deep was against the Colts by TY Hilton when he was covered by Brandon Browner.

Any stats guys know what games we were relatively week against the deep ball and against what defenders? Seems silly if most of those throws were against Browner and he uses to same player to argue for improvement.

HansGruber

Reaction score
Even most improved is questionable.

The only young talent they brought in was Jemea Thomas in the 6th round. Decent value there but an overall better improvement than all the teams picking DBs in the first round? Arizona got the best pick of all and is the only team close to Seattle in the secondary.

In fact, AZ is downright scary. If dude was being serious, it would have been Arizona in that debate. They're 100x better than NE. Maybe more. It's not close.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
gulliver":1yqbpd81 said:
No one is saying anything about 2014--the purpose of the link is to look back at SoS based on 2013 winning percentage.

Joyner points to stats from 2013 and earlier, but that SoS is comparatively weak. Saying the Pats are close to or even above the LOB based on their performances vs. the Jets, Bills and various other turds is silly.

And if there was any doubt, we played some of the same teams, as I pointed out earlier. The Pats, for example, won by an FG in OT at home to Denver--then lost handily on the road. We flat out blasted Denver 43-8 on the road on the biggest stage. Debate over.

Hence why I said, "I just want to point out"... :)

lukerguy

Reaction score
The crazy part is, I'm not even sure they will be better than they were last year.

For much of the year Talib was as good or better than Revis. Browner is a year longer in the tooth, and we all know how age can affect 30 year old CBs, especially injury prone ones. I expect Browner to be below average, and so I would even if he was in Seattle.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Just the fact that Browner won't even be on the field until week five, and not in game shape until like week 8 makes Joyner's argument idiotic.

Plus 75% of the Pat's defensive backfield are new, it took the LOB two years to work seamlessly together, which is paramount when you're a DB..........knowing EXACTLY what your fellow DB's are doing on every play.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
Basis4day":23xwaggr said:
My most clear memory of the Hawks getting torched deep was against the Colts by TY Hilton when he was covered by Brandon Browner.

Actually it was Sherman/Thomas slip up. TY slipped in-between them. The Colts ran a good play and route and beat us on that play.

I do feel Browner's best years are behind him though. I loved the guy playing for us. His swagger and toughness brought more than just his skills.

Its the offseason. Everyone wants to say some predication about the upcoming season like they really know. Anything anyone says about the upcoming season has about just as much chance as my 3 year old daughter of getting it right. Who would have thought that Houston and Atlanta would have taken such a far fall last year? You just never know.

Seafan

Reaction score
Joyner's logic is flawed. He asserts the fact that 2013 Pat secondary was better statistically in one spot (YPA over 20) but then expects a four year declining Revis to be better than Talib. His example of the Broncos was the worst possible to support his assertion. The Hawk secondary is absolutely the best to cover Manning's game.

lsheldon

Reaction score
This article from SB Nation calling KC Joyner pretentious is a pretty good read. It's an article on Joyner hating on Manning, but still a good read.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2009/7/22/9 ... us-blogger

I personally cannot think of a more pretentious title than "Football Scientist." I almost thought it was a tongue-in-cheek joke, but since both the NY Times and their blog are completely and utterly humorless, I have to conclude that Joyner thinks it makes him sound important, or something. If I can offer a comparison, you can title yourself Sanitary Engineer, but that doesn't change the fact that you're cleaning toilets.

And calling a silly fool like Joyner a "scientist" is like adding PhD after "Bozo T. Clown."

Jville

Reaction score
I think of KC Joyner as a modern day charlatan. His tonic " ... proprietary metrics from game tape study". His actual value lies in generating insider subscriptions for ESPN and sales for other media products.

Joyner is but one of many modern day charlatans selling proprietary tonics. :229031_shrug: They are the snake oil salesman of today's media.

Johnny

Reaction score
I totally agree that the Pats secondary is better..... Because!

The Patriots have a secondary, and the Seahawks have a...........................................

"Hall Of Fame Unit", That will brake and set records.....