Kearse: 0-9 on red zone passes this year

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Bobblehead":2z8amdqh said:
So, no one agrees with my Kearse theory, that he's the 4th read.. and by the time Wilson see's him, Wilson is scrambling like a mad man and has no chance to deliver a decent ball?

Gotta admit, some of those passes to Kearse, look nothing but like desperation heaves.

4th read? No, but Russell definitely looks at the coverage and sees if going to Jimmy or Doug first is available if he can change the play and get them in the right spot.

Or like in the last play of the NO game, Russell was never going anywhere else but the fade to Kearse cause he had single coverage.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
ADB is coming around finally but what's been up with Tyler? And, why does Jimmy seem to still miss most practices?

They could all be still banged up, including Tanner.

seahawksny

Reaction score
Flawed Stat
Doesnt tell you if ball was overthrown or if he dropped it. I really dont understand what peoples beef is with him

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":1oj4bgv2 said:
And, why does Jimmy seem to still miss most practices?.

He does?

I thought he just got his normal Thursday off with some of the other vets like Bennett and Lynch who get an "I'm an old veteran" day off during the week.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3n06b1em said:
Bobblehead":3n06b1em said:
So, no one agrees with my Kearse theory, that he's the 4th read.. and by the time Wilson see's him, Wilson is scrambling like a mad man and has no chance to deliver a decent ball?

Gotta admit, some of those passes to Kearse, look nothing but like desperation heaves.

4th read? No, but Russell definitely looks at the coverage and sees if going to Jimmy or Doug first is available if he can change the play and get them in the right spot.

Or like in the last play of the NO game, Russell was never going anywhere else but the fade to Kearse cause he had single coverage.

He is the 3rd or 4th read.. Lockett maybe ahead of him, but still, I think Russ is not the fastest at his progressions and by the 3rd read.. it's almost to late.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1mej4x7s said:
LeftHandSmoke":1mej4x7s said:
And, why does Jimmy seem to still miss most practices?.

He does?

I thought he just got his normal Thursday off with some of the other vets like Bennett and Lynch who get an "I'm an old veteran" day off during the week.
You could be right, thought he had missed every one last week.

Seymour

Reaction score
seahawksny":1af7bggh said:
Flawed Stat
Doesnt tell you if ball was overthrown or if he dropped it. I really dont understand what peoples beef is with him

2 or 3 for 9 would be a flawed stat. 0-9 is pretty damn obviously telling something about the player for sure.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Seymour":3ijby6ge said:
Crizilla":3ijby6ge said:
Seymour":3ijby6ge said:
Read the highlighted green quote again!!!
That is what I disagree with that started this exchange. You say red zone drops don't matter if the oline plays terrible. Go read it again. Of course it matters!! :177692:

I didn't say anything about red zone drops. Wasn't anywhere in my quote. I'm talking about moving Kearse around, using p-rich more, etc. Those things don't matter if our o-line plays terrible. I don't know the exact number of red zone drops Kearse has had this year. I know his numbers are down this year compared to last year for sure. His catch that didn't count at the end of the Saints game I think was an overthrow by Wilson.

LOL....sure, whatever you say. You should re-read the post I originally quoted and possibly TRY reading the thread title again.
Zero indication that what you were "talking about" is written anywhere prior to your post.
Kearse is 0-9 RZ and yes it matters.

Our offense as a whole in the RZ isn't doing well this year. They've proven they can win the recievers they have now. Kearse has been absolutely huge for us....if SB49 turned out the way it was suppose to....Kearse has 3 catches that literally put rings on fingers

Seymour

Reaction score
Bobblehead":qfqsj742 said:
Sgt. Largent":qfqsj742 said:
Bobblehead":qfqsj742 said:

He is the 3rd or 4th read.. Lockett maybe ahead of him, but still, I think Russ is not the fastest at his progressions and by the 3rd read.. it's almost to late.

That can and does change with pre-snap reads of coverage.

Ozzy

Reaction score
A lot of the passes to Kearse he's actually the first read because of the defense he's seeing pre-snap. In a vacuum I would agree that Kearse isn't usually the primary read and probably 3rd or 4th but it rarely works that way.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
he is a hometwon hero to the Washington crowd...I get it...Fact of the matter is we should have let him walk in the off season. Plenty of big guys to block or get the OPI's like Kearse gets every week. If Hawks didn't sign him he likely signs with another team for less money and becomes obscure quickly. He has made big plays in the past but a few good plays cannot overshadow being mediocre at the best of times. He cannot live up to the cost of that contract especially with such a horrible o line which is where the money should of went. Think they rewarded him with some cash for his contribution to the team but he would not have got anywhere close to that money elsewhere and is gone after next season.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":kwzwac2p said:
Not impressed with Kearse either.

Lackluster downfield blocking last week as well.

I came here to post how much he hasn't lived up to his contract and found this thread.

Kearse has always been overrated, lived off the glory of his impressive big catches but never a consistent performer. 10 touchdowns in 5 years regular seasons, 3 of those as a starter. Never more than 50 catches a year.

If he wasn't a local boy and good with the media I think people would take notice of his underachievement a lot sooner.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":26aon1la said:
Crizilla":26aon1la said:
Seymour":26aon1la said:
Read the highlighted green quote again!!!
That is what I disagree with that started this exchange. You say red zone drops don't matter if the oline plays terrible. Go read it again. Of course it matters!! :177692:

I didn't say anything about red zone drops. Wasn't anywhere in my quote. I'm talking about moving Kearse around, using p-rich more, etc. Those things don't matter if our o-line plays terrible. I don't know the exact number of red zone drops Kearse has had this year. I know his numbers are down this year compared to last year for sure. His catch that didn't count at the end of the Saints game I think was an overthrow by Wilson.

Richardson can't block, and isn't a dependable route runner like Kearse...........as we saw last weekend when he didn't square off his route and Russell got picked.

McEvoy is a better alternative, but he's been dinged up and is a rookie, so unfortunately Kearse is still our best flanker...............and move him around? He's not good in the slot cause he's terrible at getting separation, that's why he's always getting balls batted down in front of him on crossing routes.

Richardson looked bad on the interception but he is much better at getting separation than Kearse. Kearse is a better blocker but getting a PI every game, I would say his blocking isn't all that great.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Cyrus12":2ivalrpf said:
he is a hometwon hero to the Washington crowd...I get it...Fact of the matter is we should have let him walk in the off season. Plenty of big guys to block or get the OPI's like Kearse gets every week. If Hawks didn't sign him he likely signs with another team for less money and becomes obscure quickly. He has made big plays in the past but a few good plays cannot overshadow being mediocre at the best of times. He cannot live up to the cost of that contract especially with such a horrible o line which is where the money should of went. Think they rewarded him with some cash for his contribution to the team but he would not have got anywhere close to that money elsewhere and is gone after next season.

Bingo, I remember the Times did an article on him last year where he talked about not wanting to let the hometown down. All the comments were people saying, "We got your back Jermaine," and "keep working through your mistakes." If he was anyone else they would have ran him out of town.

cymatica

Reaction score
Our offense as a whole in the RZ isn't doing well this year. They've proven they can win the recievers they have now. Kearse has been absolutely huge for us....if SB49 turned out the way it was suppose to....Kearse has 3 catches that literally put rings on fingers

And if he actually tried to fight off browners jam the final play would have worked. I get browner was a mismatch, but it sure looked like kearse just gave up.

Ambrose83

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3ladinxg said:
scrummymustard":3ladinxg said:
He didn't miraculously forgot how to score touchdowns. The end zone targets he's had are few and far between. The few ones he's had have been circus catches, there is zero reason why he shouldn't get targeted at the minimum, once every new set of downs in the RZ.

Right, cause Brees throws the ball 50 times a game and doesn't care about taking risks in the RZ throwing into double coverage at Jimmy cause he knows he has 40 more attempts.

We have a QB that only throws the ball 20 times and has been coached up to not take risks on the RZ, rely on his defense and throw the ball away so we can kick a FG.

Again, I agree with you. I also wish Russell would just throw it to Jimmy more in the RZ, even if bracketed or double covered and see if he can make a play. But that's not how Russell is wired or coached.

What season have you been watching Wilson is averaging over 35 attempt a game... 20 was in 2012.

Hawks46

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2bco06np said:
If the Hawks only had a big Tight End who can't be covered in the Red Zone. Damn

If only we had a big WR that could pair up across the field from our big Tight End. :shock:

I honestly don't understand why we haven't even tried McEvoy in the red zone paired with Graham. I really don't care if teams know it's coming, most of them couldn't stop it. It would also pull the doubles off of Jimmy.

The biggest problem I had with Kearse last game was he blew a few blocks as well. From what I can tell, we have the guy for intangibles and stuff like blocking. When you're blowing most of your pass targets, and still aren't blocking well and doing the other small things.....why are you out there again ?

Latest posts