Kearse (RFA) given 2nd round tender - $2.3 million

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
austinslater25":3sqhtnax said:
He technically was the #1 this year scheme wise but again please sell me on Kearse.
I don't hve to sell you on Kearse. The tender is done, he's going to be back next year. Time for you to get over it.

Ozzy

Reaction score
First you come on and call out anyone who isn't all that thrilled with Kearse and then refuse to engage in any form of dialogue about it and instead say get over it. Nice exchange.

CHawK247

Reaction score
austinslater25":1pvnb5vz said:
He technically was the #1 this year scheme wise but again please sell me on Kearse.

Kearse is a key young role player with a ton of heart. He is apart of this teams identity and if you don't think so you haven't been paying attention.

Did he have a inconsistent season? Sure. But he also had to step-up before he was ready too. And become one of our main targets, in a run-based offense. No other team does it like we do it, and the fact that him and ADB did what they could with virtually no TE last year should be noted too.

We literally threw to Kearse and Baldwin, Gave it to #24, or kept the QB keeper. And was 1 yd away from winning the SB..

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Don't be bitter about him just making the 'big catches.' Buddy Ryan said the same thing about Cris Carter before trading him to the Vikes and C C wound up being a Hall of Famer. I think the Kearse deal is good for both parties and am glad he is back.

dutchcoug

Reaction score
My gripe with Kearse is not that he's coming back, necessarily, just don't want to pay him $2.3 mil a year. He earned his contract the last couple years, but doesn't deserve much more. If they can offer him a 3 year $3.2 Mil extention, I would be ok with that. The cap hit should be closer to $1 million for a #4-5 WR on a run focused team.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
austinslater25":ep9dizz4 said:
First you come on and call out anyone who isn't all that thrilled with Kearse and then refuse to engage in any form of dialogue about it and instead say get over it. Nice exchange.
Who did I call out? I said calling it a travesty to keep a starting WR from last year was a bit much and asked why it was a travesty...

There was never any real exchange because you kept making leaps that weren't there. I said it was fine and then you claimed I was in love with the idea of having KEarse as our #1 WR next year, something I never said. You kept wanting to put words in my mouth and refused to answer any of my questions for you. There was no exchange, it's obvious you think 2.3 million to keep a WR that has had a prominent role in the offense the past couple of years is a travesty and I do not agree. I think while it may be a bit steep, it's not going to keep the Hawks from doing everything in FA they still want to do.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Somersethawk might be the most spot on. It's disappointing but we might not have a choice. Hopefully competition fixes the situation.

dutchcoug

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":3jgwfj89 said:
austinslater25":3jgwfj89 said:
Who did I call out? I said calling it a travesty to keep a starting WR from last year was a bit much and asked why it was a travesty...

There was never any real exchange because you kept making leaps that weren't there. I said it was fine and then you claimed I was in love with the idea of having KEarse as our #1 WR next year, something I never said. You kept wanting to put words in my mouth and refused to answer any of my questions for you. There was no exchange, it's obvious you think 2.3 million to keep a WR that has had a prominent role in the offense the past couple of years is a travesty and I do not agree. I think while it may be a bit steep, it's not going to keep the Hawks from doing everything in FA they still want to do.

Oh snap, thing are getting real! :eek:

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
dutchcoug":39x86ajm said:
My gripe with Kearse is not that he's coming back, necessarily, just don't want to pay him $2.3 mil a year. He earned his contract the last couple years, but doesn't deserve much more. If they can offer him a 3 year $3.2 Mil extention, I would be ok with that. The cap hit should be closer to $1 million for a #4-5 WR on a run focused team.
No matter how much you (and others) would like that to be true, he's not a 4-5 WR. He's better than that. Especially on a run heavy team, you honestly think we would have 4 WR better than Kearse? It appears the Seahawks view their players a bit different than you do.

I get it, everyone wants a receiving corps like Denver had 2 years ago. This team will never have that the way they are constructed. I think the Seahawks definition of a #1 WR and the fans definition are different. Do they want that big, physical WR? Yeah they do, but they don't need him to take games over and catch 7 balls a game, heck he probably wouldn't even get 7 targets a game. We spread the ball around way too much to have a WR a fantasy football type of impact.

Kearse has some serious flaws to his game, anyone can see that. But he is a fine WR in our system who understands the way Russell works and I think that's invaluable. There's something to say about he and Baldwin's chemistry with Wilson, not anyone could be successful in our offense with how much Russell is forced to bail on plays because of pressure. I don't want to see him walk out the door because his chemistry isn't something that can be replaced so easily or quickly. Baldwin even said it in an interview how hard it was to get on the same page with Russell because every play there's so much that can go wrong. But he and Kearse know Russell's "tells" when he's about to get outside and make a play down field. It's also the reason why Richardson didn't do much until late in the season, he had to gain trust and prove he was able to play on the fly.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
First, I definitely support this. 2.5 million is not that much for a received. How much lower could you go? Especially for a WR on an upward trajectory. Moreover, his drop rate was like 2.9% which is actually not bad.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2014/

Anyway, I have already argued this previously before the tender and stated he would get a 2nd round tender - which I was clearly correct about.

The reason being, other than me being insanely intelligent, it was the ONLY option.

Below 2nd round tender is own round tender and since Kearse is an UDFA - other teams could sign him away for nothing.

That being said, I would still easily argue that a WR with starting experience, who is young and improving is CLEARLY worth 2.5 million.

I am not saying he should be our starter but only that he is worth 2.5 million which is below the average pay for all players on the team which is 2.8 million.

Hyak

Reaction score
Kearse is a good #3 WR. Anything above that is probably asking too much of him as he is up and down.

That said, the tender makes sense much like Baldwin's did last year. The lower tender would have essentially made him unrestricted as no compensation would apply as he was undrafted. One could see them giving him an extension to lower that cap number depending on what shakes out in FA/draft.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
With Richardson out for most/all of 2015, I believe the Hawks need Kearse for at least one more year... so they gave him a 2nd round tender. It was that, or they tender him at his draft round, which is zero since he signed as a rookie FA.

At this point, I don't see the Hawks offering him an extended contract. We can do better down the road.

2015 for Jermaine will be a prove-it year.

$2.3M seems too high... last year he made $570k.

On further consideration, the Hawks could offer Kearse a 2 or 3-year contract that would get him a $1.5M APY (more than 2.5X his 2014 salary) and thereby be more cap-friendly in 2015.

For example... they could offer him 3-years, $4.5M total, with a $2M signing bonus and $2.5M guaranteed.

Base salaries would be $0.5M in 2015, $0.8M in 2016 and $1.2M in 2017.

Cap hits would be $1.2M in 2015... $1.5M in 2016... and $1.9M in 2017.

And if he's cut before June 1st, 2016 (a possibility with Richardson coming back 100% and with a potential high 2015 WR draft pick in the fold), Kearse's dead money ($1.3M) could be spread over 2016 and 2017... at $0.67/year.

I could see this happening.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":1638gy84 said:
dutchcoug":1638gy84 said:
No matter how much you (and others) would like that to be true, he's not a 4-5 WR. He's better than that. Especially on a run heavy team, you honestly think we would have 4 WR better than Kearse? It appears the Seahawks view their players a bit different than you do.

I get it, everyone wants a receiving corps like Denver had 2 years ago. This team will never have that the way they are constructed. I think the Seahawks definition of a #1 WR and the fans definition are different. Do they want that big, physical WR? Yeah they do, but they don't need him to take games over and catch 7 balls a game, heck he probably wouldn't even get 7 targets a game. We spread the ball around way too much to have a WR a fantasy football type of impact.

Kearse has some serious flaws to his game, anyone can see that. But he is a fine WR in our system who understands the way Russell works and I think that's invaluable. There's something to say about he and Baldwin's chemistry with Wilson, not anyone could be successful in our offense with how much Russell is forced to bail on plays because of pressure. I don't want to see him walk out the door because his chemistry isn't something that can be replaced so easily or quickly. Baldwin even said it in an interview how hard it was to get on the same page with Russell because every play there's so much that can go wrong. But he and Kearse know Russell's "tells" when he's about to get outside and make a play down field. It's also the reason why Richardson didn't do much until late in the season, he had to gain trust and prove he was able to play on the fly.

What has he done to prove he is better than a 4-5? It isn't that we have better WR's than him currently; we lost Sidney, Golden, and Percy with P-Rich going down late, all better than him. You can't go bargain bin shopping for talent at WR during the season. I have no problem resigning Kearse but there HAS to be some form of improvement at the wide receiver position. He should not be our #1 outside threat, he just isn't consistent enough. He's the type of player to beat his man and make an explosive play (like GB or the prayer in the SB) but then rarely be found on a crucial 3rd down (or drop catchable passes that result in picks, like GB). He's Devery Henderson on the Saints.

I don't think anyone here expects a passing game like Denver's outside of hawkssurething.

A

Anonymous

:thcoffee:

Read, take deep breath, think, type.

:mrgreen:

dutchcoug

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":25mh0qnk said:
With Richardson out for most/all of 2015, I believe the Hawks need Kearse for at least one more year... so they gave him a 2nd round tender. It was that, or they tender him at his draft round, which is zero since he signed as a rookie FA.

At this point, I don't see the Hawks offering him an extended contract. We can do better down the road.

2015 for Jermaine will be a prove-it year.

$2.3M seems too high... last year he made $570k.

On further consideration, the Hawks could offer Kearse a 2 or 3-year contract that would get him a $1.5M APY (more than 2.5X his 2014 salary) and thereby be more cap-friendly in 2015.

For example... they could offer him 3-years, $4.5M total, with a $2M signing bonus and $2.5M guaranteed.

Base salaries would be $0.5M in 2015, $0.8M in 2016 and $1.2M in 2017.

Cap hits would be $1.2M in 2015... $1.5M in 2016... and $1.9M in 2017.

And if he's cut before June 1st, 2016 (a possibility with Richardson coming back 100% and with a potential high 2015 WR draft pick in the fold), Kearse's dead money ($1.3M) could be spread over 2016 and 2017... at $0.67/year.

I could see this happening.

That's probably the most sense anyone (including me) has made on this thread.

Ozzy

Reaction score
mistaowen":xsftfszn said:
Hawkfan77":xsftfszn said:
dutchcoug":xsftfszn said:

What has he done to prove he is better than a 4-5? It isn't that we have better WR's than him currently; we lost Sidney, Golden, and Percy with P-Rich going down late, all better than him. You can't go bargain bin shopping for talent at WR during the season. I have no problem resigning Kearse but there HAS to be some form of improvement at the wide receiver position. He should not be our #1 outside threat, he just isn't consistent enough. He's the type of player to beat his man and make an explosive play (like GB or the prayer in the SB) but then rarely be found on a crucial 3rd down (or drop catchable passes that result in picks, like GB). He's Devery Henderson on the Saints.

I don't think anyone here expects a passing game like Denver's outside of hawkssurething.

Good post!

kidhawk

Reaction score
austinslater25":1y1rqghl said:
2.5 million for a PROVEN veteran player? I would argue you're not thinking rationally. His catch rate is terrible and his mistakes usually come at the worst possible times. Do you think any other team in the league would pay Kearse 2.5 million right now? the answer is no, and why do you think that is? Is it possible you're overvaluing him slightly because of homerism? He has made some great plays and his TD in the SB two years ago is one of the best I've seen.

Again no one will touch him at that price, if its truly a bargain as you say I guess we will find out. Teams would jump on it if it was. Lets revisit this in a few days....

His price to us $2.3 million comes with no loss of draft choices. Any team would have to sign him to a deal that he'd except, so it would have to be higher than the $2.3, and my guess is substantially higher, because he could have one breakout year and get a long term contract next year, and is already going to see the $2.3 from us in some form or another. That other team would also have to give up a 2nd round pick. That is the sticking point. I believe, right now, a team could pick up a fairly talented WR in the draft with that 2nd round pick and pay them substantially less money. Teams may or may not have given him $2.3+ million, but nobody is giving up a 2nd rounder, so we'll never know.

This tender is made to keep him here. I believe he likely follows Doug's path and signs a fairly reasonable 3 year deal with us this off season.