Kearse (RFA) given 2nd round tender - $2.3 million

MysterMatt

Reaction score
Largent80":2j2ykp9t said:
Dude is a strange WR. He either makes a huge play, or drops an easy catch.
This pretty much sums it up for me. I think he's pretty replaceable 99.9% of the time, and then he makes a huge play. I don't dislike the guy at all, but he's too inconsistent and, IMO, not really worth the 2nd round tender. That isn't a huge number, but I really hope he takes the necessary step forward this season.

At this point think he's no more than a quality #4 WR who is good on ST...a rich man's Obomanu. I desperately hope we draft a WR (or two) that can push him down to his proper spot on the depth chart, but I'm not holding my breath. I guess things could be worse.

There are times when we secure a quality player and I'm really happy. This time I'm just sorta...meh...and hoping for the best.

I hate the offseason.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":1q4jssg0 said:
No matter how much you (and others) would like that to be true, he's not a 4-5 WR. He's better than that. Especially on a run heavy team, you honestly think we would have 4 WR better than Kearse? It appears the Seahawks view their players a bit different than you do.

I get it, everyone wants a receiving corps like Denver had 2 years ago. This team will never have that the way they are constructed. I think the Seahawks definition of a #1 WR and the fans definition are different. Do they want that big, physical WR? Yeah they do, but they don't need him to take games over and catch 7 balls a game, heck he probably wouldn't even get 7 targets a game. We spread the ball around way too much to have a WR a fantasy football type of impact.

Kearse has some serious flaws to his game, anyone can see that. But he is a fine WR in our system who understands the way Russell works and I think that's invaluable. There's something to say about he and Baldwin's chemistry with Wilson, not anyone could be successful in our offense with how much Russell is forced to bail on plays because of pressure. I don't want to see him walk out the door because his chemistry isn't something that can be replaced so easily or quickly. Baldwin even said it in an interview how hard it was to get on the same page with Russell because every play there's so much that can go wrong. But he and Kearse know Russell's "tells" when he's about to get outside and make a play down field. It's also the reason why Richardson didn't do much until late in the season, he had to gain trust and prove he was able to play on the fly.

You can talk up Kearse all you want, but this was nothing more than a hold your nose and tender the offer by our FO because Richardson's gonna miss at least half of 2015.

As soon as we can get Richardson healthy, and draft/sign in FA another top WR, Kearse is the first man out.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
Let's put things in perspective shall we? $2.3M for Kearse isn't as horrible as people say. Yes, he may be inconsistent at times, but he WILL pull off a big play that is needed more often than not. We lose nothing on this deal, nothing. He is, with this deal, ranked 45 on top paid receivers in the NFL per WR Salaries which isn't horrible if you look at the actual rankings of those above, and below him. Can we get better than him, sure. Do we keep him for depth at a relatively low price tag with the possibility of cutting him during TC, of course. Win/win overall with little to no downside.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Kearse's wallet would formally like to thank Richardson's knee for making it a very good day for him.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1v5j3jlz said:
Kearse's wallet would formally like to thank Richardson's knee for making it a very good day for him.

Exactly. If PR wasn't hurt Kearse would not be getting this tender and would be walking.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
OkieHawk":23ysxhkr said:
Let's put things in perspective shall we? $2.3M for Kearse isn't as horrible as people say. Yes, he may be inconsistent at times, but he WILL pull off a big play that is needed more often than not. We lose nothing on this deal, nothing. He is, with this deal, ranked 45 on top paid receivers in the NFL per WR Salaries which isn't horrible if you look at the actual rankings of those above, and below him. Can we get better than him, sure. Do we keep him for depth at a relatively low price tag with the possibility of cutting him during TC, of course. Win/win overall with little to no downside.

I don't think anyone's complaining about the tender amount, I think a lot of us are ready to have a WR corp that no longer needs Kearse on it because the cupboards are bare.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3osormaq said:
OkieHawk":3osormaq said:

I don't think anyone's complaining about the tender amount, I think a lot of us are ready to have a WR corp that no longer needs Kearse on it because the cupboards are bare.

Austin was complaining about the amount.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":e7da22zr said:
OkieHawk":e7da22zr said:

There are plenty complaining about the 2.3 price

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1vlgzyqm said:
Hawkfan77":1vlgzyqm said:
No matter how much you (and others) would like that to be true, he's not a 4-5 WR. He's better than that. Especially on a run heavy team, you honestly think we would have 4 WR better than Kearse? It appears the Seahawks view their players a bit different than you do.

I get it, everyone wants a receiving corps like Denver had 2 years ago. This team will never have that the way they are constructed. I think the Seahawks definition of a #1 WR and the fans definition are different. Do they want that big, physical WR? Yeah they do, but they don't need him to take games over and catch 7 balls a game, heck he probably wouldn't even get 7 targets a game. We spread the ball around way too much to have a WR a fantasy football type of impact.

Kearse has some serious flaws to his game, anyone can see that. But he is a fine WR in our system who understands the way Russell works and I think that's invaluable. There's something to say about he and Baldwin's chemistry with Wilson, not anyone could be successful in our offense with how much Russell is forced to bail on plays because of pressure. I don't want to see him walk out the door because his chemistry isn't something that can be replaced so easily or quickly. Baldwin even said it in an interview how hard it was to get on the same page with Russell because every play there's so much that can go wrong. But he and Kearse know Russell's "tells" when he's about to get outside and make a play down field. It's also the reason why Richardson didn't do much until late in the season, he had to gain trust and prove he was able to play on the fly.

You can talk up Kearse all you want, but this was nothing more than a hold your nose and tender the offer by our FO because Richardson's gonna miss at least half of 2015.

As soon as we can get Richardson healthy, and draft/sign in FA another top WR, Kearse is the first man out.
Hmmm...I said Kearse has serious to his game. Oh well

ivotuk

Reaction score
austinslater25":gydbhr5l said:
2.5 million for a PROVEN veteran player? I would argue you're not thinking rationally. His catch rate is terrible and his mistakes usually come at the worst possible times. Do you think any other team in the league would pay Kearse 2.5 million right now? the answer is no, and why do you think that is? Is it possible you're overvaluing him slightly because of homerism? He has made some great plays and his TD in the SB two years ago is one of the best I've seen.

Again no one will touch him at that price, if its truly a bargain as you say I guess we will find out. Teams would jump on it if it was. Lets revisit this in a few days....

Look at the bolded part again. What does this contract cost the Seahawks? What would it cost another team if they were to sign him? Think about it.

Edit: And I don't think RIchardson will ever be truly healthy. He's been injury prone and I'm afraid he's going to remain that way. He's just built too thin for a WR. Especially in this offense where they have to block. It's unfortunate because he's a good receiver. But he's going to be blocking downfield one of these days against a big DB and its going to be Deon Butler all over again.

themunn

Reaction score
Guy who had a monster game against the Panthers, won the Green Bay game for us (it's not how you start it's how you finish) and got us within 6 yards of winning the Superbowl.

Yeah, we're overpaying him.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Deserves to get paid:

[youtube]LOhAREao-vY[/youtube]

Deserves to get paid:

[youtube]fKOLqM-LnA0[/youtube]

Deserves to get paid:

[youtube]AKnzkF_QtX0[/youtube]

Anyone think a measly $2.3 million spit in the bucket is too much just, you know, SU.

AgentDib

Reaction score
If you want to evaluate a decision rationally it needs to be compared to the alternatives. "Is Kearse worth $2.3 mil" may be fun as a hypothetical but it is actually not relevant to the decision which the Hawks FO just made. The question was whether Kearse on the 2015 Hawks was worth $2.3 mil compared to Kearse not on the 2015 Hawks. Having a weak group absolutely raises his value to us.

canfan

Reaction score
austinslater25":216yvy8s said:
Ok explain to me why you think Kearse is worth it. Are you happy with his play this past year? Ready for him to be the #1 this year? I'm all ears, sell me on Kearse.....

I don't have a real strong opinion on Kearse, but your hate seems a little extreme. He is a decent #3 who blocks well for a wide receiver and makes the occasional big play. At $2.5 M he is making decent #3 veteran receiver money. What about the tender and the wage makes you ask if we are ready for him to be the #1 this year? He had an awful game against the Packers in the NFC championship, but he was not alone.

jackflash50

Reaction score
It's obvious he is not a #1 or #2 for that matter however in my opinion he is what this team is all about. Works his ass off, blocks, does all the little thing & yea maybe a few drops here and there but has proven when the game is on the line he steps up & makes the big play. I'll take him!! He is never going to be that 1K yard rec' but he will get you 750 yds and some key plays throughout the season.
I would love to see them get in a #1 receiver but it isn't looking like that is going to happen. I don't see a rookie stepping in & being Randy Moss as a rookie but I can see them getting a Golden Tate type and getting by with what they have. Look back at when they had Tate. Rice went down early, Percy Harvinjury was out all year and Tate, Baldwin & Kearse did just fine. They banked on Harvin stepping in and being more than Tate was and that didn't work out but they got by just fine with what they had. When is the last time this team has had a real #1 receiver or monster TE? Hasn't had one for years yet in the 05 run they had Djax, Warwick, Ingram, and J Stevens. Recently Rice was never what they thought he would be, Harvin didn't work out but Baldwin and Kearse stepped up. Than in the SB Matthews. Gotta roll with what they got and Pete will find away to get the max from his WR's again this year no matter who lines up for them.
Just my 2 cents.

NorCalSeahawk

Reaction score
Seems reasonable and if the team finds a better option in free agency or the draft they can cut him and move on, no harm no foul. Kearse is a decent 2nd or 3rd option on a team and if the Hawks can upgrade the spot though other avenues, great, if not then they have a guy to fall back on. One other thing about the Kearse hate (and I fall in that boat a little bit) is I think his disappearing act in a lot games and that horrible NFCC game up till that last TD is burned into most peoples memories. That may sway peoples views a bit on the guy, but he is a decent 2nd-4th option on most teams and his price for that is not to crazy.

StoneCold

Reaction score
I like Kearse. 67 targets and 38 catches. I predict that after the 2015 SB we will think this was a steal. :)

SC

mikeak

Reaction score
That is great that you all can analyze the catch rate for a WR and how good they are at getting open.

Now who considered his ability to block downfield and support in the running game. I assume we all understand the importance of that for Seattle. If people don't think we missed Tate for his blocking ability then you didn't look closely enough. So what does Kearse bring to the table in regards to that.

Clearly enough that the FO thought this was a fair deal

Latest posts