Ken Norton

zchurch74

Reaction score
Every team that scored 34 points this week and last week won except Seattle today. This game is all on The D. Doesn’t matter how Russ played today. The offense scored 34 points and in the NFL that should be a win.

I do t think this can and will be fixed this year. I feel we may not even make the playoffs and if we do it will be a quote it in the first round. If we can’t win scoring 34 points then we have no chance in the dance.

ducks41468

Reaction score
Bobblehead":36wsx16l said:
He should really, take it upon himself and resign. I mean how do you show up to work with a straight face?

He, like Cable, has achieved lifer status in the single most nepotistic industry outside of the mob, so he can continue to collect a paycheck regardless of performance right up until he decides to retire and his son/cousin/pet alpaca takes his spot

PateratoWilson

Reaction score
ducks41468":2svtzrqo said:
Bobblehead":2svtzrqo said:
He should really, take it upon himself and resign. I mean how do you show up to work with a straight face?

He, like Cable, has achieved lifer status in the single most nepotistic industry outside of the mob, so he can continue to collect a paycheck regardless of performance right up until he decides to retire and his son/cousin/pet alpaca takes his spot

I agree with you both. Narcissism at its finest. They don’t care what fans think or so. Self preservation.

andyh64000

Reaction score
This would be a good time to fire him since we are half way through the season and this has been the worst defense statistically in history yet somehow we are still in first place. Call Dan Quinn and offer him .0002% of the cash in the Allen estate and try to turn this around.

James in PA

Reaction score
Um, why is there no news yet of Norton’s firing? We’re waiting Pete. C’mon. Do you really think it’s going to improve against the Rams? Hell, Cupp alone will have 220 receiving yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fire_marshall_bill

Reaction score
It's on Carroll. They're buddies going back to $C. The defense just needs to be adequate, and it's not even close. It's something that needs to happen in mid season if they want to win more than a playoff game against the Eagles or something. :?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
If the problem is that Kenny is just not smart enough for the job - then there is no upside.

No amount of experience is going to make him more intelligent. Which means no amount of time is going to improve our results.

This is the challenge.

We have seen nothing, not in Oakland and not here, that shows he is ever going to be competent at this job. Our entire defensive strategy appears to rely on forcing scarce turnovers (a low % success rate) enough to make up for the abysmal lack of punts forced. Then hoping the offense outscores the opponent.

The issue is that Kenny may not be capable. Good DCs need to outthink the opponent, adjust, and take chances effectively. They need to plan well, based on the opponent and leverage their strengths while exploiting weaknesses on the other team. They need tactics that mitigate their own weaknesses.

You need to have great subject matter expertise and be fairly smart (or that Buddy Ryan kind of crazy) to be good at this. I think Norton must have the expertise with this many years in defense but it does not look like he has the capability.

That means no upside. This isn't Bevell stubbornly sticking to strategies that do not work or are ineffective. As terrible as Bevell was here in squandering our talent, he was never 'worst of all time'. This is someone that literally cannot be effective and likely never will be.

Even an MVP quality player like Wilson will not be able to overcome that.

getnasty

Reaction score
I can't speak on scheme because i don't have access to all 22 film and hard to see things for sure from the TV view.

My biggest complaint about Norton is his lack of disguise. If we're blitzing Wagner and Adams are at the line and there coming. If we look like we're gonna rush 4 then we rush 4.

aawolf

Reaction score
zchurch74":2mj2nidm said:
Every team that scored 34 points this week and last week won except Seattle today. This game is all on The D. Doesn’t matter how Russ played today. The offense scored 34 points and in the NFL that should be a win.

I do t think this can and will be fixed this year. I feel we may not even make the playoffs and if we do it will be a quote it in the first round. If we can’t win scoring 34 points then we have no chance in the dance.

I was going to post something similar. SIX NFL teams scored 33 or 34 points this week. Seattle was the only one of those that was a loser and that's because our defense couldn't hold. The second-worst defense this week was Tampa last night, who allowed 38 points. Seattle is in a league of their own as far as defensive incompetency.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Norton is a problem but Carroll allowing him to remaining the DC and not switch things up is the biggest problem.

Carroll has the final say and maybe Norton is gone after this season but never in season.

Take that to the bank!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Get any D coordinator you want, hell bring back the ghost of Vince Lombardi..............they're not fixing the worst corner play in Pete's tenure.

No Griffin, no Amadi, Dunbar's at about 50% effectiveness with his bad knee, and your best corner yesterday was Tre Flowers. Let that sink it.

They can't play zone, they can't cover man to man in order to blitz effectively. If you think what we saw yesterday was bad, just wait until McVay gets ahold of that game tape. Goff's going to throw for 500 yards against that secondary unless Griffin and Amadi are back.

getnasty

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3hxjqv24 said:
Get any D coordinator you want, hell bring back the ghost of Vince Lombardi..............they're not fixing the worst corner play in Pete's tenure.

No Griffin, no Amadi, Dunbar's at about 50% effectiveness with his bad knee, and your best corner yesterday was Tre Flowers. Let that sink it.

They can't play zone, they can't cover man to man in order to blitz effectively. If you think what we saw yesterday was bad, just wait until McVay gets ahold of that game tape. Goff's going to throw for 500 yards against that secondary unless Griffin and Amadi are back.

Yeah Dunbar shouldn't have been on the field yesterday but i like that he was trying to gut it out.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
You don't put up the worst results as a DC in NFL history because of one game.

We had injuries in the last game, but it does not explain the rest of the year.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3eg3od6v said:

Wasn't Norton the DC for the Niner game?

I'm not defending him, fire him if you want. But it's not going to fix the real problem, personnel and injuries.

You also had your head coach say after the game "gee, we didn't think Buffalo was going to throw THAT much, took us way too long to adjust!"

Pete got his coaching ass handed to him yesterday by McDermott, terrible game plan, on both sides of the ball. So Fire Norton, keep Norton, won't make a difference until you get a true #1 corner, a dependable healthy 2nd corner and LB's that can cover in space against 3 and 4 wide sets.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2dq0o316 said:
TwistedHusky":2dq0o316 said:

I'm not defending him, fire him if you want. But it's not going to fix the real problem, personnel and injuries.

You also had your head coach say after the game "gee, we didn't think Buffalo was going to throw THAT much, took us way too long to adjust!"

Pete got his coaching ass handed to him yesterday by McDermott, terrible game plan, on both sides of the ball. So Fire Norton, keep Norton, won't make a difference until you get a true #1 corner, a dependable healthy 2nd corner and LB's that can cover in space against 3 and 4 wide sets.
Every team has injuries.

At some point, you have to make the most out of what you have and just call/coach better.

You cannot use injuries as an excuse unless you are the Niners that have been just hammered with injuries.

Seattle has serious coaching issues on defense and Carroll will not blame his coordinators until it’s too late.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":1wogi6ya said:
Sgt. Largent":1wogi6ya said:
TwistedHusky":1wogi6ya said:

Every team has injuries..

This is true. But our D wasn't good before the injuries, now it's downright awful with the key injuries at CB.

- bad CB play
- slow linebackers in coverage
- terrible pass rush
- only good nickel CB out
- bad gameplanning

All equals what we saw yesterday. Pete didn't all of a sudden forget how to coach defense, he's one of the best defensive coaches in NFL history. To put this all on Norton, like getting rid of him is some miracle cure is naive.

RCATES

Reaction score
Make no mistake this is 100% Pete's Defense. Norton is a Yes Man that will fold under Pete's guidance at any time. There's a reason Pete never throws Ken under the bus. He knows its his program and its failing. I doubt Quinn would come back with Pete's full control of this team.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
RCATES":3h6tben5 said:
Make no mistake this is 100% Pete's Defense. Norton is a Yes Man that will fold under Pete's guidance at any time. There's a reason Pete never throws Ken under the bus. He knows its his program and its failing. I doubt Quinn would come back with Pete's full control of this team.
Agreed.

Pete Carroll be like:

“We’ve tried nothing and we’re all out of ideas.” -Ned Flanders beatnik parents

Lmao!

LTH

Reaction score
RCATES":2h6cqadj said:

The reason Pete doesn't throw Norton under the bus is because he knows it's not all Nortons fault... yes Norton takes some blame but the issues are in multiple different areas it's not just about Norton...Carroll knows this thing is fixable it's just another challenge in a tough situation... It might very well be that the Seahawks can't get healthy on D but the pieces are there to have a D good enough to contend for the SB... they don't have to be lights out they just have to give up less than what the O can score...

LTH

Latest posts