Kendall Hunter tears ACL

kearly

Reaction score
I think Hunter is pretty good and wouldn't mind him getting a shot with the Hawks at some point. That said, he was probably going to be their 4th RB anyway with Gore, the 2nd round pick, and Lattimore all ahead of him.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
kearly":1al6xufc said:
I think Hunter is pretty good and wouldn't mind him getting a shot with the Hawks at some point. That said, he was probably going to be their 4th RB anyway with Gore, the 2nd round pick, and Lattimore all ahead of him.

I don't think so. The 9ers staff has such a strong bias for veterans I'd have been shocked in Hunter wasn't taking the carries after Gore (with Hyde taking over Dixon's short yardage role, LMJ gone, and Lattimore not suiting).

TBH, I think this is awful for Hunter (the real story), and oddly not that bad of a thing for the 9ers, particularly in the long term. This was likely going to be the last year on the 9ers for both Gore and Hunter, and they'll have a better idea of if they have Gore's replacement on the roster or not already now that Hunter won't be taking all of Gore's scraps. As for the drop-off from Hunter to LMJ/Hyde/Lattimore, I don't think it will be that large, if existent all.

The corrolary would be if Lynch was in camp and the Hawks had a few guys they were excited about and invested in at the position behind Lynch/Turbin rather than just Michael. In that scenario if Turbin went down it would be much worse for Turbin than it would be for the Hawks, IMO.

(FWIW I think Turbin is a nice player who is oddly undervalued by some Hawks fans sometimes, and the same is/was true for Hunter as well.)

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Popeyejones":u89glq72 said:
I don't think so. The 9ers staff has such a strong bias for veterans I'd have been shocked in Hunter wasn't taking the carries after Gore (with Hyde taking over Dixon's short yardage role, LMJ gone, and Lattimore not suiting).

TBH, I think this is awful for Hunter (the real story), and oddly not that bad of a thing for the 9ers, particularly in the long term. This was likely going to be the last year on the 9ers for both Gore and Hunter, and they'll have a better idea of if they have Gore's replacement on the roster or not already now that Hunter won't be taking all of Gore's scraps. As for the drop-off from Hunter to LMJ/Hyde/Lattimore, I don't think it will be that large, if existent all.

The corrolary would be if Lynch was in camp and the Hawks had a few guys they were excited about and invested in at the position behind Lynch/Turbin rather than just Michael. In that scenario if Turbin went down it would be much worse for Turbin than it would be for the Hawks, IMO.

(FWIW I think Turbin is a nice player who is oddly undervalued by some Hawks fans sometimes, and the same is/was true for Hunter as well.)

I know what you are saying about Turbin, I know that guys don't give him the benefit of the doubt, but I think the guy is a great runner. I like him getting chances. It's just when I see Michael I see explosion and havoc. That guy looks like he is 1 missed tackle away from a TD when he gets the chance. Hunter is not the guy to take the Gore role, Hyde is. So in that scenario the Hunter loss really only affects depth. Both the Hawks and Niners needed to plan for the future without their bruisers, the Niners this year and the Hawks next year.

I do believe that Lynch will end up showing up and balling, but that both teams are going to start the transition from their feature guys. They need to get them the carries this season.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
It is going to be weird seeing Gore end his career. It just seems like the other day I was screaming at the TV as Gore mashed through the second level of the Holmgren Hawks defense. Even in 2009, tight game in week 2 at SF as the 2nd half started he was gashing the Hawks for TD runs. He even gashed the 2012 defense in SF a few times, but his days of consistently doing that against Seattle are over. I still think against most teams that he can rack up some heavy yards, but it is time for the youth to contribute.

Hunter was a decent 2, plus he had some experience, but I think his Niner days are over.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Sourdough #49":1o69exa7 said:
kobebryant":1o69exa7 said:
loafoftatupu":1o69exa7 said:

Just watch Baalke and JS go out and get drunk one night.

"Where's my invite?"

- Scot McLoughan

Pure win
:13: Genius

Really feel bad for Hunter. This just cost him plenty of coin and the chance to contribute again to a near guarenteed playoff team (as guarenteed as the NFL can be).

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Looks like LMJ had to be carted off today too... Wrist/arm injury of some sort