Kevin Norwood released (UPDATED: Traded to Panthers)

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1xvb1y5o said:
Recon_Hawk":1xvb1y5o said:
Basis4day":1xvb1y5o said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/status/638436263801028608[/tweet]

Better than nothing! I'm guessing a 2016 7th rounder. Still disappointing missing on another 4th round receiver.

It's not so much a 4th round miss as it is Kevin Smith and Kasen Williams coming out of nowhere.

And Chris Matthews.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
The trade may mean it's less likely that SEA would be able to stash Kasen or Kevin Smith on PS, which I was sort of counting on.

sutz

Reaction score
It's usually a difficult time of year to trade anybody. Too bad about Norwood, I thought he would pan out. But hey, if we get another pick from Carolina, we made out.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
Danny Kelly speculating on twitter it could be for a back-up O-line on their roster bubble. I was thinking about it, we have so many projects and D-line converts, maybe the switched it up and traded for someone who has played Guard all 4 years in college.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
DavidSeven":afsxq6u2 said:
The trade may mean it's less likely that SEA would be able to stash Kasen or Kevin Smith on PS, which I was sort of counting on.

I don't think so.. I think it's a matter of they were cutting him anyway, Carolina had a huge hole at WR and knew he wouldn't get past 20 some odd teams on the waiver wire

chris98251

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2jnovjlk said:
Recon_Hawk":2jnovjlk said:
Basis4day":2jnovjlk said:

Better than nothing! I'm guessing a 2016 7th rounder. Still disappointing missing on another 4th round receiver.

It's not so much a 4th round miss as it is Kevin Smith and Kasen Williams coming out of nowhere.

Williams was always regarded as a player with top NFL talent, just got put into a system that didn't use him to his strengths, Smith was injured but also showed his high skill level and then we got a QB that could throw it in the ground and miss at the UW.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
bbsplitter":astzcq24 said:
Danny Kelly speculating on twitter it could be for a back-up O-line on their roster bubble. I was thinking about it, we have so many projects and D-line converts, maybe the switched it up and traded for someone who has played Guard all 4 years in college.

That would be fantastic. I'm still expecting a 7th round conditional pick, though.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
bbsplitter":1fsstib5 said:

That would surprise me due to the lack of time to test out a new bubble linemen prospect.

Not to mention, Carolina's line is not very good or deep.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":12diow0t said:
HawkFan72":12diow0t said:
I'm bummed that he didn't improve. He had great hands and he seemed ready to become a valuable depth receiver at times last year. I am somewhat surprised he didn't make it to final cuts.

Well if you think about it, Chris Matthews didn't emerge until the final game of year.. that paired with Lockett and suddenly you have Norwood fighting it out with the UDFA's for a spot.

Kevin Smith and Kasen Williams just flat outplayed him all preseason.. and apparently both guys had better camps too.

Norwood will probably be a Falcon or Jaguar soon.

Spot on. Couple that with Smith and Williams both play ST and are pretty good at it, they're the same size and both seem more dynamic.

I was hoping that Norwood would progress this year, but we have the same thing in Kasen Williams and Kevin Smith, and they're both more athletic.

chris98251

Reaction score
bbsplitter":28ri0bsj said:

It seems like we like to go to the Salvage yard for O lineman this time of year., Trade for possible skill position projects or reclamations.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Well I hope he wakes up.

Could be a good player for them but needs to make the commitment and have a clear understanding of his need to contribute. I think he has the talent just needs to develop the skill/experience.

I know someone that was going to sell the guy a 10K item that would have been a completely frivolous purchase. So the moment I heard that, I was wondering just where his focus was.

Maybe the trade will be good for him. God knows the Panthers need him, might even come back to burn us in the tail - but we were going to cut the guy anyway so...I guess they decided getting something was better than the alternative.

ctrcat

Reaction score
hawknation2015":r8mshicj said:
bbsplitter":r8mshicj said:

That would surprise me due to the lack of time to test out a new bubble linemen prospect.

Not to mention, Carolina's line is not very good or deep.

True, but it's much better. 4 new starters since the beginning of last year to pair with Kalil at center. It's probably the best in the NFCS at this point. Handled the Bills and Dolphins DL's quite well in the preseason. Amini Silatolu was a name I had thrown out before. May have "value". Still unlikely but who knows. Hopefully will know soon.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Couple Of Thoughts:

#1 Drafting isn't about hitting on quality players as it is securing potential talent that you think fit best with the team.

The higher the pick the longer your leash is to develop that talent but thats about it. These players still have to compete to stick and the Seahawks are one of the best in the NFL at mining for UDFA gems.

#2 Im not angry at the Harvin trade. Sure it was horrendous in hindsight, sure the Seahawks wasted cap and draft resources that they could have used to build a stronger team.

But No Harvin = No Tate = No Tyler Lockett.

Lockett may not worth the cap saved from Harvin nor the 7 draft picks to acquire Harvin and himself but damn it, Lockett is going to be special and after seeing his talent and ability I wouldnt want any other WR to build the future of the passing game with Wilson and Graham.

bandiger

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":3hjj3phu said:
Couple Of Thoughts:

#1 Drafting isn't about hitting on quality players as it is securing potential talent that you think fit best with the team.

The higher the pick the longer your leash is to develop that talent but thats about it. These players still have to compete to stick and the Seahawks are one of the best in the NFL at mining for UDFA gems.

#2 Im not angry at the Harvin trade. Sure it was horrendous in hindsight, sure the Seahawks wasted cap and draft resources that they could have used to build a stronger team.

But No Harvin = No Tate = No Tyler Lockett.

Lockett may not worth the cap saved from Harvin nor the 7 draft picks to acquire Harvin and himself but damn it, Lockett is going to be special and after seeing his talent and ability I wouldnt want any other WR to build the future of the passing game with Wilson and Graham.

Well No Harvin also means possibly drafting Ertz or Hopkins while keeping Tate and maybe they don't draft PR and instead keep thier first round pick to get Bitonio, etc.

ctrcat

Reaction score
HawkFan72":ocqn07hr said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/caplannfl/status/638446478374117376[/tweet]

Sounds like a win/win with the Hawks going to cut him anyway. He's the first player Gettleman has traded for, going on three years as a GM.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":6nakipkj said:
Recon_Hawk":6nakipkj said:
Basis4day":6nakipkj said:

That's one way to look at it.

kearly

Reaction score
hawknation2015":wo1orrsf said:

yup. I think Smith probably earned himself a spot on the 53 with those returns Saturday night. After last year, I don't think Seattle will settle for having just one good returner on the team.

Rat

Reaction score
I'm guessing it's a fourth rounder we're getting, to match what we gave them for Keary Colbert that one year we went all Panthers Current WR Situation on the league.

Latest posts