Kevin Norwood released (UPDATED: Traded to Panthers)

kearly

Reaction score
Laloosh":2ou98bl5 said:
Hadn't heard that stat. Reading that was like finding a 20 in the laundry.

It was from some random article on PFF, IIRC.

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
"Aaron Wilson first broke news of the Panthers' trade for Norwood and a source inside VMAC quickly confirmed to SeahawkFootball.com that the transaction had occurred. The Seahawks will receive a 7th round pick in 2017 if Norwood makes Carolina's roster and appears in games during the regular season. He's likely to do so as the Panthers have suffered significant injuries at the position recently with 2014 first round pick Kelvin Benjamin tearing his ACL and 2015 second round pick Devin Funchess struggling with a nagging hamstring injury."

7th rounder

Scottemojo

Reaction score
So, in 2017 we will draft an athletic DT in the 7th who stunk in college and convert him to the OL. Good to know.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3kfv1eqv said:
So, in 2017 we will draft an athletic DT in the 7th who stunk in college and convert him to the OL. Good to know.

Sad but true. Oh well, at least we know what to expect... aw crap, we know what to expect. :cry:

Exittium

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/638864302133284864[/tweet]

No loss for us, I don't blame him, but whatever.. next man up :th2thumbs:

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Exittium":p30zv065 said:

If you read the previous tweet, he is making a huge assumption based on how Carroll answered the question about the trade. It is a massive assumption, given that most thought Norwood was behind guys like Matthews, Williams, and Smith.

Exittium

Reaction score
hawknation2015":19eghf9v said:
Exittium":19eghf9v said:

If you read the previous tweet, he is making a huge assumption based on how Carroll answered the question about the trade. It is a massive assumption, given that most thought Norwood was behind guys like Matthews, Williams, and Smith.

Oh i agree, i just didn't want to fill up with a bunch of a tweets but i'll link that one and let people speculate, lol twitter is probably the easiest to misinterpret.
[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/638864168871817218[/tweet]

mikeak

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":xwya08h2 said:
Horrible decision. One that i predict will come back to bite us. Just watch this guy go on to become great at Carolina.

I don't disagree on that he could become a very good player on the right team BUT if we are unable to develop him and he doesn't play for us what is the option? Point being him being good on another team doesn't change that he didn't fit on THIS Seahawks team with current offensive philosophy...

Rob12

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":2xzh2qvt said:
Horrible decision. One that i predict will come back to bite us. Just watch this guy go on to become great at Carolina.

I kind of heard the same thing when we released Chris Harper.

Norwood just didn't prove that he belonged. I don't know why, but he didn't. He had opportunities to separate himself and step up last season after the Percy trade and he didn't do it. He didn't do it in the playoffs when Richardson got hurt. He came into camp and was buried on the depth chart. He was jettisoned before our other camp fodder receivers.

He just didn't have it.

He's in his second year and will be 26 this season. He's six months older than Jermaine Kearse. I think at that age, if he was going to some day make his mark in this league, he would have made somewhat of a splash last season, or at the very least he would have made a splash in camp and the preseason. He did none of those things.

He's a fringe NFL player, and I wouldn't hold my breath on him becoming "great" on a team that typically never has "great" or even very good receivers.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Rob12":1un4gry5 said:
Tech Worlds":1un4gry5 said:

Norwood just didn't prove that he belonged. I don't know why, but he didn't. He had opportunities to separate himself and step up last season after the Percy trade and he didn't do it. He didn't do it in the playoffs when Richardson got hurt. He came into camp and was buried on the depth chart. He was jettisoned before our other camp fodder receivers.

He just didn't have it.

He's in his second year and will be 26 this season. He's six months older than Jermaine Kearse. I think at that age, if he was going to some day make his mark in this league, he would have made somewhat of a splash last season, or at the very least he would have made a splash in camp and the preseason. He did none of those things.

He's a fringe NFL player, and I wouldn't hold my breath on him becoming "great" on a team that typically never has "great" or even very good receivers.

Again, I don't think he's a terrible player. He has more talent than Chris Harper. I just think the WR corps became overly deep this year and kind of surpassed him.

ctrcat

Reaction score
Rob12":63m4ws9s said:
Tech Worlds":63m4ws9s said:

The Panthers have only drafted two WRs in the first round in franchise history. Rae Carruth and Benjamin. I will say that Ricky Proehl is a fantastic WR coach and they obviously liked Norwood a lot and supposedly he would have been their 4th round pick last year. "Great" or even good may not be realistic. Filling a dependable/"clutch" role as he did in college may or may not come back to bite the Hawks, but he may have filled the same role for the Panthers or another team without the trade since he was going to be cut anyway. Making the roster is a realistic, win/win goal for both teams at this point.

Rob12

Reaction score
hawknation2015":21zgqcii said:
Rob12":21zgqcii said:
Tech Worlds":21zgqcii said:

He just didn't have it.

Again, I don't think he's a terrible player. He has more talent than Chris Harper. I just think the WR corps became overly deep this year and kind of surpassed him.

He might be more talented than Chris Harper, but we really don't know. If he wanted out of Seattle, I question his drive at almost 26 years old to become good. If he didn't want to play for a perennial playoff/SB team (I know, speculative based on Hsu's tweet), and compete for a spot, I just don't know if he has what it takes to take the next step, especially when, IMO, he has fringe skills.

Who knows though. Wish him the best.

Rob12

Reaction score
ctrcat":21y89lw7 said:
Rob12":21y89lw7 said:
Tech Worlds":21y89lw7 said:

The Panthers have only drafted two WRs in the first round in franchise history. Rae Carruth and Benjamin. I will say that Ricky Proehl is a fantastic WR coach and they obviously liked Norwood a lot and supposedly he would have been their 4th round pick last year. "Great" or even good may not be realistic. Filling a dependable/"clutch" role as he did in college may or may not come back to bite the Hawks, but he may have filled the same role for the Panthers or another team without the trade since he was going to be cut anyway. Making the roster is a realistic, win/win goal for both teams at this point.

Sounds fair. I do wish the kid the best, and maybe he has the skills to be a productive member of your offense - I just don't quite buy it yet.

ctrcat

Reaction score
Looks good tonight. 2 catches for a team leading 40 yards, showing some yac.

Latest posts