Kupp Out Sunday

olyfan63

Reaction score
How about this, in the interest of "fairness"..
Last moment, Rams decide a hammy-gimpy Kupp will play.
Seahawks match that by playing hammy-gimpy Witherspoon in man on Kupp all day.
May the best one-legged man win!

keasley45

Reaction score
I think a lot of us have PTSD from season’s past. If this version of the Rams come into our house and beat us we have serious problems.

Ain’t no freaking way.

No. Way.

Fearless Prediction Thread coming soon.

Ptsd is right. These games just usually turn out to be punt fests with one or two solid drives by each team being the determinant.

It can be frustrating and certainly doesn't make you feel as confident of a positive outcome as you should at the news Kupp might not play. I mean, I think it's a great thing if he's out. I'm just not confident it will hand us the advantage it should.

But... I feel like this year is different. We don't typically modify our strategy to take advantage of an opponents weakness. We line and play, and leave it up to the overall soundness of our play, individually and as a team, to win. In the years following the LOB, that was hard to do because we had pretty obvious weak links that didn't allow for the unit to function optimally. And like our adherence to philosophy when exploiting weaknesses, we also rarely did much to 'help' players who were down on ability. Again. It was line up and play. And that led to frustrating games when opponents would just beat on whatever weak link they found.

This year, that link (our interior D) has the potential to be if not a strength, something less than a liability. And that gives me hope that in a game like the one against the Rams, we can capitalize on their deficiency and with a strong offense, compound the loss of Kupp by putting them in a position where they have to throw early and often to stay in the game.

If we put teams in predictable passing downs, I think we can really get after opposing qbs with our edge, and outside- in rush.

5 days...

olyfan63

Reaction score
Ptsd is right. These games just usually turn out to be punt fests with one or two solid drives by each team being the determinant.

It can be frustrating and certainly doesn't make you feel as confident of a positive outcome as you should at the news Kupp might not play. I mean, I think it's a great thing if he's out. I'm just not confident it will hand us the advantage it should.

But... I feel like this year is different. We don't typically modify our strategy to take advantage of an opponents weakness. We line and play, and leave it up to the overall soundness of our play, individually and as a team, to win. In the years following the LOB, that was hard to do because we had pretty obvious weak links that didn't allow for the unit to function optimally. And like our adherence to philosophy when exploiting weaknesses, we also rarely did much to 'help' players who were down on ability. Again. It was line up and play. And that led to frustrating games when opponents would just beat on whatever weak link they found.

This year, that link (our interior D) has the potential to be if not a strength, something less than a liability. And that gives me hope that in a game like the one against the Rams, we can capitalize on their deficiency and with a strong offense, compound the loss of Kupp by putting them in a position where they have to throw early and often to stay in the game.

If we put teams in predictable passing downs, I think we can really get after opposing qbs with our edge, and outside- in rush.

5 days...
So right. When Pete had all the horses, and pre-rule changes, pre-rest-of-league-figuring-out-cover3-beaters, Pete's attitude was, we're just going to line up, play simple-but-fast, out-execute you, and "impose our will" on you.

IMO, way less of "we're going to dig deep to find your weak spots, find our matchup advantages, and exploit them over and over again" and "we are going to analyze our weakness our opponent might exploit, and figure out how to compensate for them, to make them less of a weakness." It's not an all-or-nothing of "impose our will" vs "find and exploit opponent weaknesses and our favorable matchups", but too often, Pete would err on the side of "impose our will on them". That, in a nutshell, is the biggest strategic difference between Pete and Bill Belichick. Belichick and his assistants analyzed opponents with a fine-tooth comb for weaknesses and matchup advantages. That's why the Patriots salivated when Jeremy Lane went down and Tharald "Toast" Simon entered the game in SB49. Over, and over, and over again, they found where Simon was, and matched up too-quick Edelman and Amendola, on him, and burned him over and over again to win the game.

In 2022, Buccaneers, Raiders, Panthers all exploited our glaring weakness of run defense, and pounded the Hawks into submission. More of a Seahawks team roster talent deficiency to run the chosen defensive scheme, or any scheme, not fixable with just scheme adjustments. Also in 2022, there was the Travis Homer TD off a fake punt against the 49ers, so that was a nice example of identifying opponent weaknesses and taking advantage of them. But that's a single-use exploit. I think Waldron is more consistent in identifying and exploiting opponent weaknesses than Pete.

Pete runs the defensive side, and with the roster upgrades, I'm hoping for fewer exploitable matchups on our D, and to see more deception, more disguised coverages, more exploitation of favorable matchups, and less "just line up and out-execute you". I wouldn't be surprised if the lack of deception on D is what, over the years, has helped make all-too-many backup QBs look like HOF candidates against Hawks D.

RedAlice

Reaction score
But I like Red Alice she's really good purple especially for a Rams fan. But whatever I'll take every unfair victory as possible thems the breaks.

Aww, we gonna have fun discussing football all season.

I’m sad Kupp is hurt again, but so it goes.

Onto the games!

RedAlice

Reaction score
Now she can watch him the whole game on the sideline, ha. No helmet, pads, or running around getting in the way. It's perfect.

I like your thinking. Hot.

But it’s my understanding that he’s not traveling w the team if he’s getting the necessary evaluation.

RedAlice

Reaction score
With our kinda inexperienced WR group, playing 12 without Kupp might be fun v Hawks…

Remember McVay and Reed. It’s always gotta be in the back of his mind.

LastRideOut

Reaction score
McVay's comments about Kupp today make it sound like IR is a real possibility. Hamstring isn't responding as expected. The article is over at pft.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Aww, we gonna have fun discussing football all season.

I’m sad Kupp is hurt again, but so it goes.

Onto the games!

But I like Red Alice she's really good purple especially for a Rams fan. But whatever I'll take every unfair victory as possible thems the breaks.

Red Alice, are you really purple?

Be careful, you might just become a Vikings fan (j/k)

BASF

Reaction score
It will be nice not to have to face him for the team, however, I feel sorry for the people who are going to this game and no other. Kupp is one of those players that you can legitimately say to young generations in your later years that you got to see him play live.

Seahawker

Reaction score
2017 Draft

R2 #35 Malik McDowell
R2 #58 Ethan Pocic
R3 #69 Cooper Kupp
R3 #90 Shaq Griffin
R3 #95 Delano Hill
R3 #106 Amara Darboh

I hate wasting draft capital and I especially hate missing out on local talent. Seems JS forgot he traded his bottom of the 3rd round pick (2015, 95th overall) along with 4th, 5th & 6th round picks to snag Tyler Lockett with the 69th overall pick.
Considering our horrid 2017 draft haul, it was a gross oversight to pass on Kupp and just one more reason I have questioned our scouting dept. In recent years.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
2017 Draft

R2 #35 Malik McDowell
R2 #58 Ethan Pocic
R3 #69 Cooper Kupp
R3 #90 Shaq Griffin
R3 #95 Delano Hill
R3 #106 Amara Darboh

I hate wasting draft capital and I especially hate missing out on local talent. Seems JS forgot he traded his bottom of the 3rd round pick (2015, 95th overall) along with 4th, 5th & 6th round picks to snag Tyler Lockett with the 69th overall pick.
Considering our horrid 2017 draft haul, it was a gross oversight to pass on Kupp and just one more reason I have questioned our scouting dept. In recent years.

I wonder how many times the FO got it right, and your picks did not pan out.

I doubt you're thumping your chest about those picks much, and there are certainly some. Nobody gets it right every time, not you, not the best scouts.

Wasted capital is only recognized long after the fact. It's a useless game to play by those with resentment issues.

Latest posts