Lack of Alpha

seahawksteve

Reaction score
It's evident that this team doesn't have a "true" Alpha that they had had in years prior. Sure, they're are team captains. But not a guy or two that has the locker to call out guys

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
Maybe since the whole alpha concept has been scientifically proven to be garbage it isn’t what we need - and Bobby is no slouch - I think it has more to do with coaching but that’s my opinion over the last decade of the same mediocrity.

Our motto should be “come here to play, get paid, and let our coaching wither your talent away”

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Correct, OP.

There are no Kam's or Earl's or Sherman's. Bobby is out of gas. Geno is a good man, decent leader but doesn't inspire his teammates to greatness.

This team needs a serious reboot.

There are some great, core players we can keep, but we need to build the trenches with nasty MoFos and work our way outward. Hire fresh blood, be innovative and let's RIDE!!! Haha...

JPatera76

Reaction score
i feel chenna was the closest we had to an alpha and thats gone since his injury and not being on the field.

ccla

Reaction score
It's evident that this team doesn't have a "true" Alpha that they had had in years prior. Sure, they're are team captains. But not a guy or two that has the locker to call out guys
Then a coach should step in and be the alpha, but nooooo Pete delegates that to the players.

CactusJack

Reaction score
Bobby is an alpha. But he leads more by example than bark.

Spoon is an alpha type. Yet still a young rook.

Jarran Reed, DK, etc.

There definitely are alpha's. But this team still has too many issues to cover up.

nwHawk

Reaction score
On offense, I would say the Geno is a good player but a not so good leader. He exhibits the qualities of terrible leader. When things aren’t going well, he’s sitting on the bench sulking. Away from the rest of the team.
One of the biggest reasons I have changed my stance on Geno. I think Geno is great as a backup, but I don’t really love everything he brings.

QB is a position that truly impacts the whole team. Does this team give 100% each week. Are they willing to sacrifice their bodies for the good of the team? The evidence is stacking up.

DeSeahawk

Reaction score
One of the biggest reasons I have changed my stance on Geno. I think Geno is great as a backup, but I don’t really love everything he brings.

QB is a position that truly impacts the whole team. Does this team give 100% each week. Are they willing to sacrifice their bodies for the good of the team? The evidence is stacking up.
Yup, Geno is a fantastic #2. And that would be workable paired with a badass defense.

calinator

Reaction score
It's not to do with having an alpha or a more fired up attitude. This defense is trash talent wise outside of a few players and the defensive scheme along with the 3-4 need to be thrown out of the window. Those early 2000's patriots were elite and played very sound football without being loud. They were talented and very well coached. Yelling and screaming isn't going to change a thing.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Maybe since the whole alpha concept has been scientifically proven to be garbage it isn’t what we need - and Bobby is no slouch - I think it has more to do with coaching but that’s my opinion over the last decade of the same mediocrity.

Our motto should be “come here to play, get paid, and let our coaching wither your talent away”

Yeah off topic but that is ridiculous. How could one possibly "prove" that?

keasley45

Reaction score
The biggest issue I saw Sunday and this season was a below average LB core and without Nwosu, no solid play in runstop on the edge. At LB we had Wagz and Mafe as the only starting quality players. After them, Bellore and Bush, Rattigan and Oconnell, Hall and Taylor.

Bobby is one dimensional and slow. With Brooks out, Mafe is the only true guy a defense has to account for. Taylor is washed. Hall has utterly disappointed.

So you tell me what your game plan would be if you saw our D and at LB in a 3DL set, we have at LB , a HOFer that's lost two steps and plays inside, a young talent in Mafe who's better at pass rush, and a bunch of guys who's best attribute is looking good in their unis. The fact thst they cut Clark says a lot about his ability.

Brooks is a monster and covered a lot of the difficiencies at the position. You aren't beating anyone with the group we fielded Sunday. It's a massive liability in runstop and pass defense, because it FORCES your safeties to come down.

And for all the applause at benching Adams, this in part, is the result. Jamal was the wildcard they were using to at least partially address the shortfalls in the group. Defenses at least had to know where he was and even with his poor ability in coverage, he had enough their physically to still make them respect us some. And I'm not saying he should be with the team. But you don't delete Adams, even with his diminished skills, Nwosu and Brooks, and not cripple yiur defense if literally no one is taking up the slack.

Love is a good safety, but he doesn't do what Jamal did in the scheme in run defense. No one does. Coby Bryant's PFF grade overall this year is 35.8.

Our interior DL is solid. Our edge play against the run without Nwosu is Mafe... and nothing ...if Brooks isn't cheating hard to cover plays to his side and without at least the threat that Adams was.

Halls PFF grade overall is at 45. Taylor- 53. The LB core as a whole is toast if we aren't pulling a safety down. And if we pull a safety down constantly, we get beat deep.

This unit has been cursed by the fallout from Jamals injuries and Nwosu going down. Adams was counted on to do too much and Bryant isnt a substitute. With Taylor and Hall flopping, we are simply dead without Nwosu and Brooks.

A hobbled Brooks is still at 62.5 for the year IN PFF

Bobby is a 79.3

Nwosu was at 68.5

As much as Hurtt makes me skeptical, I don't know how you objectively evaluate him or this scheme with the defense we are fielding. It's missing too many critical parts, we've completely whiffed on Bush, Taylor (as a complete player) and Hall and now that we've also basically abandoned THE plan fir how we'd make the whole thing work in the first place by removing Adams, at best, we have 6/11s of a defense.

First nail was Nwosu.

Second nail was the failures of Hall and Taylor who fell off a cliff.

Third, abandoning the plan in giving up on Adams ( moving on is right, but it's not without a cost)

Fourth, Brooks being hobbled.

What's left is trying to cover everything an offense can do to you outside the tackles and in the outside middle 3rds with 3 legit starters on the field - Bobby, Diggs and Love.

Look at it like that and it's amazing we had a chance to win at all. Your offense has to be perfect on every drive to overcome that kind of liability.

Draft / FA priority - LB, DL, Safety, Guard.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
For the most part, a person's character is pretty well established long before they put on an NFL uniform.

The trick would be to weed out/sniff out those players with the half-assed gene, the lazy DNA, the bereft of talent indicators earlier on. Then cut them immediately and replace them with better.

Pete Carroll's flaw is that he thinks he can fix the above in his players and coaches.

The truth is he can't. But he can go back and analyze what was the secret ingredient in the 2013 to 2016 teams and try to emulate that.

Hawknight

Reaction score

I agree. Geno is the QB who will give you a good and somewhat interesting game. However against a great team, he can't take the team to the distance of finishing off a great team. He's a great entertainer..not an elite QB.