Lack of Oline acquisitions is puzzling

peppersjap

Reaction score
seabowl":2usz6r6l said:
Anyone else surprised that we have not made any even somewhat significant Oline acquisition this offseason? I still cannot believe we are going into the season with 60% of our line being unproven players. I'm only counting Sweezy and a healthy Okung as proven. Thoughts?
Yet everyone wants Kam Chancellor to get more money. You can only pay so many people . The Seahawks philosophy has had us in the last 2 Super Bowls! They really might be smarter than we are!

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
peppersjap":1i4q841g said:
seabowl":1i4q841g said:
Anyone else surprised that we have not made any even somewhat significant Oline acquisition this offseason? I still cannot believe we are going into the season with 60% of our line being unproven players. I'm only counting Sweezy and a healthy Okung as proven. Thoughts?
Yet everyone wants Kam Chancellor to get more money. You can only pay so many people . The Seahawks philosophy has had us in the last 2 Super Bowls! They really might be smarter than we are!

We have lost 3 starters on the line the last 2 years: Breno, Carp and pro bowl Unger. Replacing them with Gilliam, Nowak and Britt hasn't looked so good. Not saying we need 3 vets but 1 relatively inexperienced player in Britt and 2 with zero experience is REALLY rolling the dice. Even 1 get would make a big difference.

NewJerseyHawk

Reaction score
The Evan Mathis signing in Denver isn't going to pay dividends (if at all) until November..

Denver's OL is just a bad.....

Green Bay's OL is below average with the same philosophy.

New England's is going with THREE ROOKIES, but played a defensively challenged Steelers roster.....wait until that line gets to face Buffalo, Miami and the Jets twice, Brady is going to get destroyed.

The first game is really the first time we played starters and it showed for most of the games, I felt that the games across the board were not crisp at all....(I watched Seahawks Rams at a Sport bar with 5 other games on and I didn't see anything flashy).

The other "contenders" in the NFC like the Lions blew an 18 point lead to SD, giving up 29 unanswered points and gaps in the middle of the field for Ladarius Green, subbing for Antonio Gates....

I don't think Seattle's OL is good for week one, but I'm willing to give at least 5 to 6 weeks before making a determination on things....the youth on the line is healthy and not going to get worse.

The alternatives are signing a Samson Satele type or overpaying for an Evan Mathis, who alone is either going to make Denver respectable or be a complete waste of money where Denver could have spent money elsewhere.

Okung isn't coming back unless he's at a different number than the market is willing to pay. Will a team pay him 9-10M...?? What team needs a left tackle AND willing to pay that type of money....maybe Jacksonville or Atlanta.....good luck with that. Okung is going to come back at 8M or walk, he's a solid player but not a healthy enough player to command anything north of that.

Okung, Cary Williams can easily be out of the equation to bring in a slew of FA's or pay an Irvin or take a high draft pick to play tackle next year.......Right now isn't the time to panic....we played OK and should have stolen a win, but the defense didn't stop Shaun Hill 2.0 or Austin Davis 3.0......

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The team has had 3 FA Olinemen in for a look and none of the three have been signed.

All game long yesterday that looked to be a mistake as the OLine lacked real push when it was needed. To be fair the Rams DLine is a s good as they'll see all season but Lynch was regularly being hit in the backfield and RW was sacked 5-6 times.

Still think the OLine is awful and will remain so until they can demonstrate some ability to reliably move forward when run blocking. The scheme seems to be satisfied with weak pass blocking.

strohmin

Reaction score
I think we are all underestimating how important the loss of Unger and Carpenter were. It is like we have a whole new offensive line this year with all the shuffling we've done. It takes time for an offensive line to gel and we were also going against possible the best and most experienced defensive line in all of football. The only real concern is the terrible play calling that is putting our OL in situations where they are guaranteed to fail.

strohmin

Reaction score
Throwdown":2c4r8kjr said:
We barely had unger to begin with.

True, but this is Novak's first game, so that could have something to do with the miscommunication on the O-line

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
Anyone still believe that we'll be ok behind this paper mâché of an OL?

Mojambo

Reaction score
I always thought it would take longer than 4 weeks. I think week 8 will be a good time to judge.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
seabowl":2i6jy0ir said:
When you have as many large salaries on the payroll as the Seahawks do, you're going to inevitably have some weak areas. Due to our QB's unique skillsets, our FO has opted to skimp on the O-Line. Moreover there isn't exactly many O-Line prospects out there right now. This is starting to turn into a league wide issue, not just a Seahawk issue.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1qc5pssp said:
seabowl":1qc5pssp said:
When you have as many large salaries on the payroll as the Seahawks do, you're going to inevitably have some weak areas. Due to our QB's unique skillsets, our FO has opted to skimp on the O-Line. Moreover there isn't exactly many O-Line prospects out there right now. This is starting to turn into a league wide issue, not just a Seahawk issue.

I get it but just to get someone with some kind of experience would be good. Guys like Rob Sims or Davin Joseph come to mind.