Let's talk Defense

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
If it's years in the making point it's not a gotcha moment.
It's just reality revealing itself, now, at this moment in time.

"Told you so" accompanied by years of frustration, sadness, some anger? Yes.
Enjoyment? Not so much.
That piece right there. We are actually doing just about as expected if we are being honest. Im seeing the same tropes across the board. Poor tackling. Piss poor clock management. Dumb penalties at the most inopportune times killing drives. I don't even know why Pete allows screen passes to be in the playbook. They NEVER work the way they are supposed to. And while it's unfortunate, I'm not even mad at where we're at at this point in time. Frustrated.

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
Rock,
Im trying not to be a jerk here.
It probably sucks to have someone just peeing all over any optimism there is.

Not trying to do that. Honestly.
Just frustrated and trying to reconcile what I am seeing.
The heart says we might lose and be competitive (think 1990s Seahawks), best case is we are OK but just because no QB - with a strong roster, we get a good QB and go back to being a winning team.

The head knows this is unlikely.
Your question should answer itself Rock. Have we ever put in a system that doesn't make much sense for the personnel we are running?
The answer is ALL THE TIME.

Have we ever had a great player that we just tried to force into some play style that isn't a fit for them, doesn't help the team, and actively destroys their ability to contribute?
Again, pretty much every year.
Look at the list of missed tackles I saw it somewhere... Blair 4, Kobie 1
Rock,
Im trying not to be a jerk here.
It probably sucks to have someone just peeing all over any optimism there is.

Not trying to do that. Honestly.
Just frustrated and trying to reconcile what I am seeing.
The heart says we might lose and be competitive (think 1990s Seahawks), best case is we are OK but just because no QB - with a strong roster, we get a good QB and go back to being a winning team.

The head knows this is unlikely.
Your question should answer itself Rock. Have we ever put in a system that doesn't make much sense for the personnel we are running?
The answer is ALL THE TIME.

Have we ever had a great player that we just tried to force into some play style that isn't a fit for them, doesn't help the team, and actively destroys their ability to contribute?
Again, pretty much every year.
LOL DO NOT PEE IN MY CHERRIOS!!! LOL just kidding... I really don't care what you think, so your good. I just look at the list of missed tackles by the Seahawks and see more than half those guys will not be on the roster and the ones that will will have that crap cleaned up. I really agree with Aros and we will not have a good look at what this team is about till the regular season starts as I don't believe Carroll will show his hand, But hey... Sorry if I pissed in your cheerios LMAO!

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Fair enough Rock. Nobody wants to see us suck.

Give credit though. People can disagree. We all love the Seahawks and probably football as a whole.

Keasely actually reached out to apologize to me for seeming to go too hard at me. Not an issue because he does an incredible job of making his case and supporting his viewpoints.
I don't want to see Carroll turn into another Jim Lambright either. It just feels a bit too late for that.

So my fingers are crossed you are right.
But remember, Tom Coughlin was an OUTSTANDING coach. He turned freaking BOSTON COLLEGE into a monster. He then won it all with the Giants. (The Giants!) He could coach rings around Carroll, though admittedly, Carroll is one of the greatest program builders in NFL history. And even so, Carroll is older than Coughlin when he retired. At some point, there just isn't enough tread on the tires.
We bet on Carroll instead of Wilson. I get it. Wilson is tough to take, I imagine he is worse in person. I am sure the person making that decision that actually knows the guy would take Carroll 10 times out of 10 over Wilson for non-football reasons alone.

But it feels like we bet the race on a car that is basically on E. There is nothing in the tank left but fumes.
It would have been preferable to have Carroll go out like a King, leaving while something of his legacy was left. He would have been venerated by every Seahawk fan for decades to follow.

I guess we will find out soon.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
There was a interesting stat when peyton manning was playing the the colts. Often they would go 0-4, 1-3 for several years only to rip off 10-11 straight wins to start the season. Preseason isn’t the end all be all as people point out. Oddly I think we are overreacting to the Bears game. Against Pitt I would say it was refreshing to watch a preseason game that was close- despite the bad tackling. (Whereas in the last several preseasons we’d get stompt regularly There was a ton of good against the Steelers. But the horrible 1st half seems to have erased that 1st game 🤷🏻‍♂️

toffee

Reaction score
To my untrained eyes, our tackling has been subpar? It's a technic thing or a scheme thing?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
To my untrained eyes, our tackling has been subpar? It's a technic thing or a scheme thing?
I think it's technique. I think many players are looking for that highlight reel play rather than wrapping up and making an ordinary tackle. It comes with players trying to impress the coaches and separate themselves. Unfortunately they are separating themselves in the opposite end of the spectrum.

Chawker

Reaction score
But wait ! It can't be, the migthy 3-4 defense, two games and people are throwing in the towel already. Ye of little hope. Are you saying I was right all along. I know the 4-3 is a better scheme but give hurtt a chance were not even playing all our starters yet. Or you can just concede that I am that great.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
But wait ! It can't be, the migthy 3-4 defense, two games and people are throwing in the towel already. Ye of little hope. Are you saying I was right all along. I know the 4-3 is a better scheme but give hurtt a chance were not even playing all our starters yet. Or you can just concede that I am that great.
Has nothing to do with the scheme (3-4 vs 4-3). The scheme doesn't play defense, players do. If you don't have the correct personnel no scheme will work. The Seahawks are working toward finding the correct personnel for the scheme. They aren't there yet and it's a work in progress. Furthermore, no scheme will look good if you tackle poorly. That is what is currently happening.