Lets talk running game.

How good will our running game be in 2021?

• 100% Effective run game ?

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • 90% Effective run game ?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 80% Effective run game?

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • 70% Effective run game?

• 60% Effective run game?

• 50% Effective run game?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OP
OP
Chawker

Chawker

Reaction score
Thats cool Indy,

Well, answer me this then, will we have a 1000 yard RB in 2021 ? And will we be in the top half league in rushing ?

I'm asking because if we're going to win a title its going to take a balance on offense that is in the top 10 and a defense in the top 10 too.

I just dont see it happening at this point.

Cheers

toffee

Reaction score
Chawker":2s09wott said:
We not only need to have success running the ball, we need to have success running the ball early in the first half of the ball game. Why? So it becomes a issue for our opponents at half time, that's when it will set-up our play action passing later in the game.

Running the ball will wear down the defense so there pass rush will be less effective in the second half, plus you have more control of the clock.

Oh, ground chuck, wear art thou. :les:

omg, be careful Chawker and think before posting. You are sounding like that old fool Pete Carrol, the antichrist that dedicate his life to destroy the career of wonderful Russell Wilson. Dot net is all about letting chef Russell cook, which means like the first half of last season where we ran less, a lot less, and chef Russell just keep throwing the ball. Stop preaching for more running like that old fart Pete? let's talk about investing in an OL that will provide 10 seconds of protection so chef could wait comfortably for someone to get open, and a collection of past all pro/future hof WRs to catch the ball.

OP
OP
Chawker

Chawker

Reaction score
Whats with Russ, it seem like teams run that tampa 2 defense and Russ mind shorts out ? I still think he is chicken to throw the ball over the middle. Russ needs to go back to being a drama queen, thats when we made it to the big show.

That and we had Marshawn Lynch. Oh, well :229031_shrug:

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
The only way Seattle will be one of the Top 10 rushing teams is if Shane Waldron puts the Read Option back in the offensive rotation.

If you go back to the years that Seattle was one of the leading rushing teams, you'll find that Russell's yards were the reason that they were one of the league leaders. Without his yards, they were middle of the road.

For example, in 2014 Seattle led the league (#1) in rushing with 2762 yards. Russell rushed for 849 yards. Without Wilson's yards, the team would have had a total of 1913 yards, which would have placed them #11 overall.

Similarly, in 2017, Seattle was #4 overall in rushing with 2188 yards. If you subtract Russell's 539 yards, Seattle would have had a total of 1649 rushing yards... and that total would have dropped them from #4 overall to #21 overall.

And let's look at 2020 as well. Seattle was #12 overall with 1971 rushing yards. Russell rushed for 513 of those yards. Factoring out Russell's yards would have placed Seattle at #31 overall. That is VERY telling.

Russell will always have a fair number of rushing attempts because of how long he holds the ball before bailing out of the pocket but his lowest number of attempts in his career thus far is 67 in 2018. His greatest number of attempts is 118 in 2014 and 104 in 2015, which are the years that the RO was in the offensive rotation.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
You don't need to be successful running the ball for the defense to bite on PA.

Not sure why people believe this.

We had guys biting on PA when Homer was in our backfield.

Wilson can be a fantastic PA passer on a team that doesn't run that often.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Chawker":ahu1ujkm said:
Thats cool Indy,

Well, answer me this then, will we have a 1000 yard RB in 2021 ? And will we be in the top half league in rushing ?

I'm asking because if we're going to win a title its going to take a balance on offense that is in the top 10 and a defense in the top 10 too.

I just dont see it happening at this point.

Cheers
I don't see a 1,000 yrd rusher unless one of two stays healthy and to me either
one can but health is the key.
I think we will be in top half but depends on health and if Russ doesn't lose
another step because his QB keepers for good runs help the total.
On Homer..He was done after week 11 (knee)https://www.rotowire.com/football/player.php?id=13484

BASF

Reaction score
If we can keep the Russell Wilson feeding in check we will have an effective running game. There are very few on this board that have recognized that the Seahawks were only twenty-fourth in actual rushing attempts. Wilson only had five called runs last season, the rest were all failed pass plays. The run pass splits were poor last season and we paid for it dearly when it came to the playoffs and the team that knows us the best could just tee off on the Russell Wilson show.

People lament how Carroll wanted to establish the running game in the playoff game, but we only had two rushing attempts in the first quarter. The intellectual dishonesty in this regard is strong.

With the failure of Let Russ Cook against good defenses, and Carroll correctly pointing out that we need to run more effectively and more, I have high hopes that we will see a return to the Seahawks pushing people around. With an effective running games, comes defensive attitude as well.