What is your gut telling you?

Will we look better when the real bullets start flying?

• This is a 4 wins or fewer team

Votes: 38 29.0%
  • This team will be middling between 5 and 9 wins

Votes: 82 62.6%
  • This team will surprise us all by winning 10 or more games

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • Fire everybody, we are only delaying the inevitable long term re-build

Votes: 3 2.3%

• Total voters

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
That much I agree with.
If Pete had focused on the LOB and Lynch, instead of giving the keys to Wilson?
We probably fall apart earlier (Wilson leaves earlier instead of extending) but have 1, if not 2, more SB wins.

The moment we lost the LOB and Lynch was the moment we went from SB contender to glorified wildcard team. Lynch maybe only had 1-2 years left him but that would have been enough.

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score
It is disdain for the coach. Seattle had a QB that masked a lot of Carrolls issues. They dont now. Your about to find out how great Pete Carroll is. There's a reason his NFL track record is below .500 without Russell Wilson.
When your opinion doesn't play out, how will your narrative change? Waiting with bated breath. 🤨

jlwaters1

Reaction score
I'm predicting 7-9 wins for the season. Under PC/JS Seattle has never won LESS than 7 games and this team is much better than 2010-2011.

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score
Cmon now….PC doesn’t need a good QB. The hood .net folks tell you that.
Cmon now....The Seahawks will fail until senile addle-minded Pete Carroll has been fired and the team is coached by greatest minds from this forum. The brilliant know-it-all .net folks tell you that.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
This team is not even close to better than the 2010 or 2011 Seahawks. That is laughable.

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score
Lol. I'm no Steeler fan. I did have a daughter that went to Pitt though and played soccer. Now you know the rest of the story.
Wow! I honestly have never read something this positive from you. Bravo, It gives me hope for humanity.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Cmon now....The Seahawks will fail until senile addle-minded Pete Carroll has been fired and the team is coached by greatest minds from this forum. The brilliant know-it-all .net folks tell you that.

The sarcasm is strong with this one.

Those brilliant .net minds offer little in the way of debatable choices for PC's replacement regrettably, and ageism controls their viewpoint.

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score
My apologies…auto-correct. I meant “good” and not “hood”.

Yes, 100% sarcasm. If you’ve been around here for at least a few years, you may have noticed repeated, nauseating talk about how PC didn’t need a franchise QB, or how Russ didn’t spread the field, or endless posts about RWs wife and brand and…we only need a game manager, etc…

Lots of hoopla from the same crowd over and over.

Folks got their wish and here we are. It’d be nice if they maintained their stance though. You know, stick to their guns. I fear all that banter is quieting down as it’s getting close to the start of the season. Some of those folks are already responding to threads about who we’re drafting at QB next year. Shame shame.
No one here need worry about the hyperbolic negativity though. Carry it high!

ivotuk

Reaction score
It's all about staying healthy and getting solid play from the qb.

Our depth is our weakness, and will be amplified early on if we have starters go down.

From a morale perspective, energy, enthusiasm and the very strong, and very clear message from Jody, whether being in the war room in the draft, or firing shots directly and publicly at Russ for his dishonesty in leaving, that the gauntlet has been thrown down. The players are hungry to prove what this team is. I think the hallmarks that made our team great in the past, we have in spades again. Commitment to one another, unit to unit, within the offense, within the defense, and between offense and defense. That hasn't been a thing since 2013.

I think the struggles in preseason are a bit overblown, both because of the number of bench guys that have had to play in a new system, and that the team isn't running a ton of their 'real' stuff. Al Woods said that pretty directly in his presser when asked what he thought was behind the defense's struggles - that they werent showing a ton.

The team can either struggle early and claw its way to stability by seasons end, or... catch lightening in a bottle with some early wins that build confidence and have them playing above their pads.

Floor 7
Ceiling 10
Excellent post!

The 1st 2 games of our preseason schedule has been brutal.

The new practice rules make it difficult to get all these young players ready to go. Add to that, an east coast game against the Stealers, them travel back, with very little time to practice, then play a Bears team that got to play at home the week before, and have a relatively short travel day. It's no wonder this team looked disorganized and undisciplined.

I take very little from the first 2 games, but we've had time for practice and travel this week, and this game should be a better representative of what this team could look like.

I think we'll be average this year. But I'm not going to get too worked up about wine or losses this year.

toffee

Reaction score
The more I watched Geno and his last 5 1/2 games, the more confident I am about this season. Lock? not so much.

For whatever reasons, Geno is quietly having a renaissance of sort in those 5 and a half games. He, again quietly, corrected one of his weaknesses, ie turnovers. Last season, he was 5TDs to 1INT, that is really good. This preseason, he continued with his NO to INT campaign. His other known weaknesses, ie panic under pressure, is still a work in progress. Lacking in poise is hard to change, something you either have it (like Russ, Montana etc) or don't. But our OL is improving, Cross hasn't gave up any pressure 'so far', Phil Haynes has a very high pass blocking score on PFF, Lucas has been a very very good.

In 2021, Geno was much better than Russ, when both had clean pockets, 131 vs 111. Geno vs Russ

If our running game can get going, Geno may just be as good as Jimmy G and surprise us with a winning season.

Amen.

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score
Can he validate midway through the season or will there be more excuses?
Can Pete validate what? The negative perspective that you have? The perspective that Pete is a good coach who is building a competitive team this year?

If you base things solely on individual wins or losses without considering development and competitiveness then you may feel you're right. How you feel and what you believe is simply that what YOU feel and what YOU believe - feelings and beliefs without substantive backing don't move me because they have proven to be a poor indicator of reflecting the actual reality of things.

No player is perfect. Every player has errors throughout the game. The best players overcome the errors often in the moment. What's more critical is how players mentally process and flush the inevitable mistakes that will happen on the field. Russell was really good at that early in his career. Practice, film study, visualization and being positive all play important roles in individual play as well as team play.

As an observer, Drew appears to have a better handle on the mental aspect than Geno, but that supposition is simply that, a belief yet confirmed. I hope to see both Geno and Drew on full display and in the pressure cooker of the season.

Some of us may be pleasantly surprised by unexpected successes or the inadequacies of both QBs may be confirmed - in my view this season is all win even with many losses.

The purely negative here have lost most credibility or basis for being taken seriously from me through not seeing things beyond the knee-jerk instant gratification win perfectly with no mistakes mindset. You've built your narratives and you'll fight to the end - or you'll eventually change the narrative.

For whatever reason the negative influences on here cannot fathom a holistic perspective.

"Geno is trash!" - "Lock is mediocre!" - "Pete Carroll is senile!"

Trying a more reasoned perspective will actually allow your voice to be listened to. I am guessing that isn't your goal in all of this though.

This is how I view this process:

"Geno doesn't seem to process as quickly as I think is necessary, but this may be the first time in his career that he has been given true trust and support and with his maturing under those conditions it will be interesting and possibly even fun to see how he does."

"Lock is young and looks the part, but decisions have been unpredictable throughout his limited time in the league. It will be interesting to see how he has developed in this supportive environment with the time and buy in from everyone in the franchise."

"Pete Carroll may be getting older, but listening to him he is as sharp and hyper-focused as ever. I look forward to seeing how he proceeds with this foundational team shift developing a new leadership core over the season and beyond."

Look back at the formation of the LOB - the Seahawks weren't undefeated in 2012, 2013, or 2014. They played a role in each of the losses, just as Russell did. We forget the mistakes that are overcome and amplify the mistakes that aren't.

I still have a visceral reaction thinking about the loss to Atlanta in 2012/13 and the missed opportunity to meet the 49ers.

Football is the ultimate TEAM sport. I trust Pete Carroll to guide and develop the team. I also trust him to let go of those players who feed their hubris by becoming bigger than the team in their own minds. He may keep someone longer than I would, but who am I to judge his decisions?

I have no excuses though feel free to say that I do - I am enjoying the development process that Pete Carroll is excellent at.

GemCity

Reaction score
Simple question.

What you call negativity some call realism.

I really don’t have a goal here spanky. I don’t expect success and have my opinions on Pete’s ability to lead this team forward.

Just opinions…

When do YOU change YOUR narrative. I think midway through the season will be a good time to reassess (sans excuses).

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score
Simple question.

What you call negativity some call realism.

I really don’t have a goal here spanky. I don’t expect success and have my opinions on Pete’s ability to lead this team forward.

Just opinions…

When do YOU change YOUR narrative. I think midway through the season will be a good time to reassess (sans excuses).
It's clear where your emotions are. Enjoy!

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It weird how we keep telling people what will happen, it happens, then they move the goalpost.

I keep seeing things like people saying 'Pete will get the most from this team' (that is not an accomplishment, because there is no way to measure it, it is a subjective assessment).
So I will make a declarative statement.

#1 (Almost assured)
Pete will never win another playoff game in the NFL for the rest of his coaching career. That is a reasonable prediction, and if true, it is hard to be excited about keeping him. Because I expect that not this year, but next year, Russ will. And he will continue to win them in additional years.

#2 (Not a given but very likely)
Pete will leave this team in worse shape (in terms of roster strength/viability) than when he got here, as he did at USC.

But this is about the expectations for this season, which is what the QB controversy is about. So what are the #s?

For Detractors:
What would make you jump on the Pete train if you are off it and jump off it if you are on it?
How many wins would get you completely on board?

For me?
Top 5 Defense or 10+ wins or 2 playoffs wins (in any order)

For Supporters:
What would make you want to see change?
How many wins would make you want to go in a different direction than Pete?

(The whole, who else question is a canard. Before you fix a problem, you must admit you have one.)

Last edited:

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Hard to imagine this team winning more than 5 games. I think they should have let Pete go amicably because we are likely at least 2 seasons away from a playoff spot and I hate to see him just fired.

Geno and Lock being your QB options when there were viable starting caliber QBs on the market is very disappointing. I understand not wanting to dump a bunch of money into a lower tier starting QB, but this is just unwatchable.

I think the draft was very positive, and if they can keep that string of good drafts (hopefully) next year, there's a chance that by the 2024 season we're competitive.