What is your gut telling you?

Will we look better when the real bullets start flying?

• This is a 4 wins or fewer team

Votes: 38 29.0%
  • This team will be middling between 5 and 9 wins

Votes: 82 62.6%
  • This team will surprise us all by winning 10 or more games

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • Fire everybody, we are only delaying the inevitable long term re-build

Votes: 3 2.3%

• Total voters

Mike D in 332

Reaction score
I am curious about the temperature of the fans? IMO, we have looked somewhat hapless so far in the preseason. There are a lot of transitional things taking place as we move on to a new era. My excitement at the idea of becoming the young hungry team with the "Bigger, stronger, faster" mentality has been quelled by the sight of what we have seen on the field so far. The injuries, the lack of tackling and the seeming ease with which our opponents have moved the ball have me concerned. However, I feel schizophrenic as I also can talk myself into believing that the following are true: We haven't run the scheme as it will be run during the season. Inexperience can't overcome the vanilla scheme or show off the athletic talent on this team so far. Many of the most talented and experienced players haven't seen much, if any, action.

Pete has a tendency to put his young players in a sink or swim situation and then has the coaching ability to bring players back from failure and get their best. Most of the injuries appear to be short term problems. The young guys on this roster look like future stars. The fire seems to be there for this roster. They haven't had an opportunity to unite and show that each player is willing to sacrifice for the rest of the roster and thus build trust and find a way to be larger than the sum of the parts. The run game and run blocking seem to be the calling card on offense. The players have shown confidence in what they are building when I have heard/read interviews. I can only commit to "this is my team no matter what." I have tempered my expectations so that I won't freak out if this season turns into a dumpster fire. For me a dumpster fire is going anywhere from 5-12 to 9-8. We need to be a true playoff team (even if not a Superbowl contender) or we need to be losing while developing a core for the next 5 years. I admit that I have been spoiled by the last decade and I loved it all. Please share your thoughts and maybe talk me down from of the ledge I'm currently on.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I think we are in for a rough start to the season, but I think by the end we'll be playing well enough to win. It really depends on if Drew Lock can emerge as any sort of upgrade over Geno. Geno screams 6 wins to me, but if Lock starts and can play well, I think there is a lot of young talent on this team that shouldn't be overlooked and they should only improve as the year goes on.

However we are weak in some important spots. QB obviously but we also have unproven corners, an unproven pass rush, an unproven young O-line.

If the O-line can play well, IDK if any team has as much going for them in terms of players at the WR, TE, and RB position. If that line plays well there are really no excuses for whomever the QB is.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I'm feeling a 2011-ish 7-10, 8-9, or even 9-8 season if we get lucky. There's a slim chance of doing better, with our two rookie tackles turning into run-game maulers, the way things looked against Pittsburgh in the opener. Our defense could also overperform expectations, with all the young talent and a new scheme and braintrust. The only way we do better than .500 is if the light bulb goes on for Drew Lock where he beats out Geno and has an unexpectedly high level of success.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
My gut tells me that people forget how important Paul Allen was to this team being what it was. Paul wanted to win the SB. He made moves to facilitate that, and he held people accountable.

We don't have that kind of ownership now. It glosses over how someone that accomplished IS that accomplished. Because he plans it out and executes by getting the right people in the right places. Then he moves them where needed, and even calls them to the carpet when required.

This is why I shake my head when I see people say this team is back in 2011 again, and then somebody even points out this is more like 2009.

This is not either of those things because we had an exceptional owner willing to do what was needed to turn us into a top-tier team.

We don't have that. We are closer to one of those aging Steeler teams, but they had their good owner even then.

Name a great team with a poor to almost uninvolved ownership group. Maybe the Bengals?

Last edited:

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
My gut tells me I’m hungry. Think I’ll go get a snack. As far as the Seahawks go, I’ll be watching every game. Don’t really have expectations either way. They could win them all, lose them all or more likely something in between. This is the first season in many years that I don’t think I’ll be stressed before a game or extremely disappointed after if they lose.

Then again it’s preseason and I could be fooling myself.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
4 wins tops if Geno is the starting QB most of the starts, 6 wins tops if Lock is the starting QB. It’s going to be a suck/throw away year, which is good for next years draft.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I am in the 5-9 win crowd. I really do think we have a young nucleus we can build off of but until we have a franchise QB again, we will be one of those meddling teams that win a few games here and there but never really challenge for any real postseason success.

Hawknight

Reaction score
It's going to be a kick in the gut type year. Brace for the pain my gut tells me...brace for the pain. Still love my Seahawks even at the lowest of lows.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Imagine that we do win 9 games behind Geno Smith this season and miss the playoffs. For that to happen the young talent on this team must be developing well, with good schemes and improved play calling. When we upgrade at QB next offseason then it's not a stretch to imagine that squad immediately competing for a playoff spot again.

Now consider a season in which we finish 0-17 and secure the #1 overall pick. Yes, having that top pick is nice but the team overall would have a really far distance to improve even to get back to .500. We could easily end up like the 2021 Jags, spending the #1 pick on the top QB only to be back at the top of the draft the following season.

I'm not conflicted at all about rooting for wins this season and it's easily worth hurting our draft pick because that's an indication of a better roster.

KinesProf

Reaction score
I think 5 is the number, but that's okay as long as they play hard and compete, and guys like Metcalf, Walker, Cross, Lucas, Lewis, Fant, Brooks, Mafe, Taylor, Woolen, Brown, Bryant, Diggs and Adams continue to develop and emerge as positive pieces for the future.

If they fall short in many games because of the QB position - so be it. I'm okay with them taking their medicine this season and not being overreactive and short sighted by spending draft picks and/or cap space on a QB who makes you 3-5 games better (Jimmy, Baker, any of the underwhelming 2022 rookies that would have required the Abe Lucas pick). They've shown restraint and will be fully loaded to seize upon the more appealing long-term options that will present themselves next spring.

OP
OP
M

Mike D in 332

Reaction score
Imagine that we do win 9 games behind Geno Smith this season and miss the playoffs. For that to happen the young talent on this team must be developing well, with good schemes and improved play calling. When we upgrade at QB next offseason then it's not a stretch to imagine that squad immediately competing for a playoff spot again.

Now consider a season in which we finish 0-17 and secure the #1 overall pick. Yes, having that top pick is nice but the team overall would have a really far distance to improve even to get back to .500. We could easily end up like the 2021 Jags, spending the #1 pick on the top QB only to be back at the top of the draft the following season.

I'm not conflicted at all about rooting for wins this season and it's easily worth hurting our draft pick because that's an indication of a better roster.
I’m with you in that draft position is worth far less than a winning culture. I remember when this franchise didn’t understand what winning means.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I voted 5-9. I know it's only pre-season but the last 2 weeks are giving me this sinking feeling of the 4 or less category

PNW

Reaction score
I’m in the 5-9 wins crowd....but I’m thinking it’ll be closer 5-7 wins