LJ Collier and Marquise Blair

bandiger

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":1vzlikei said:
kf3339":1vzlikei said:
knownone":1vzlikei said:
Both guys are hard to judge at the moment.

Blair flashed massive potential in his brief appearances in the lineup. He looks like a guy who needs some time to learn the scheme before he can be trusted on the field. I wouldn't be shocked if he pulls a Kam and becomes a valuable starter in his second season.

Collier is anyone's guess. I'm personally of the belief that Seattle was expecting Montez Sweat to fall to them, when Washington grabbed him they panicked into taking the only other viable DE option. It's the only rational explanation I can think of to explain the pick. Collier at the time wasn't really a need; we had/have a ton of guys on the roster with a similar skill set, but we really had no speed rushers out outside of Martin.

If Montez Sweat was the preferred choice they should have just taken him at 21, and forgot all the trade down crap they do every year. What is so wrong with grabbing a guy to replace Clark on a rookie contract. They still had pick 30 to do the trade down stuff. I really liked what I saw in Sweat the few times I saw him in college. He had 7 sacks his rookie year on a crap team. What number would he have had with Clowney on the other side? Who knows.

This is also not the first time. They traded down in 2017 passing on both TJ Watt for DE and Ramczyk for OT. Instead they went for a head case in McDowell. Our drafts have underwhelmed for the last 4-5 years. That is why we are in this predicament.
Exactly.

TJ Watt and Ramzyck could have been the pick.

Smh.

Watt is a pretty safe pick too.

Comes from a good football family.

Productive in college.

High character.

Talented.

But, went after a head case.

Anyone that didn’t believe this guy was a head case, go watch his interviews, just on that alone was telling me this guy should not have been the pick.

Wonder if JS/PC self-review on this, probably thought they already had that in Ifedi and whatever no name pass rusher they had on roster...right :34853_doh:

tersal

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":vjlv6c8c said:
Man, I’m still upset Seattle drafted these guys.

No contributions at all.

PC cannot continue drafting lames like these two in early rounds.

Pathetic.
I never write off rookies. Blair showed something during his time on the field. Collier could very well move inside to a tackle position should the Seahawks op to let Reed walk. Remember the Hawks are in win now mode player development during the games is not likely as there were better options ahead of Collier on the roster last year considering Collier missed so much of training. Metcalf also missed much of training camp however he clearly has superstar potential which is why he received so much time. I think Collier will contribute next season.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":ugremwif said:

Smh.

Christ on a bike - how many teams didn't pick Russ in the first *3* rounds? How many of the picks before him are headed to the frickin' hall of fame? You people act like there's a damn mathematical formula or something. :roll: :roll: :roll:

I swear to God, some people bitch just to hear the sound of their own voices.

OP
OP
TheLegendOfBoom

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
GeekHawk":vn5pv138 said:
TheLegendOfBoom":vn5pv138 said:

Smh.

Christ on a bike - how many teams didn't pick Russ in the first *3* rounds? How many of the picks before him are headed to the frickin' hall of fame? You people act like there's a damn mathematical formula or something. :roll: :roll: :roll:

I swear to God, some people b!@ch just to hear the sound of their own voices.
You know you’ve missed the point, completely.

The point was the first and second round picks for the last several years have not shown anything.

But please feel free to be super sensitive and have hurt feelings.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
There were a number of players ahead of each of Collier and Blair.

Both were injured early making the climb up the depth chart harder.

@ S the team had
McDougald
Thompson
Hill
Blair
Amadi,
and few others around for brief cameo appearances, but Blair missed critical early reps and was unable to see the field. However, when he did he also got beat over the head on a play that clearly annoyed Pete when he was freelancing. He also had to unlearn his constant desire to lay the big hit on WRs instead of ensuring the play didn't result in a catch. He flashed moments of great talent and moments of rookie blockheaded play. In all he still showed great promise.

@ DE the team had
Clowney
Ansah
Jefferson
Green
Jackson
Collier
5 guys were ahead of Collier who also started behind b/c of early injury, he never seemed to be in Pete's good graces and had a season of wasting away on the inactive list. Something was up that we just are not informed of b/c I can't see how he could have been that much of a drafting whiff. With him I suspect he will show up next preseason with his hair on fire jacked up and ready to roll. I am hopeful we get to see the player the coaches thought he was in drafting him. At this stage we don't know what he's genuinely about, but we saw Green's growth after his slow start and he could become a genuinely good DE.

Each of Blair and Collier started from behind and never seemed to truly break out from their slow starts. Condemning them both as busts this early is very short sighted. I think we will all be happily surprised with them both in the fullness of time.

AgentDib

Reaction score
FloridaSeahawk18":3ber2x05 said:
Pete loves to tout how he plays Rookies and they come into their own by the end of the year, but he was so weird about certain players this year. Really hope Collier is not a bust considering he got virtually no play-time this year, could he really be that awful in practice?
Remember Bruce Irvin's rookie year? How about Frank Clark's rookie year? Pete has never been about playing rookies just because of their draft slot. In fact, the emphasis we put on UDFA success is just the opposite. Once a player is in training camp it doesn't matter to Pete how they got there. Go back and look at the 2019 off-season discussion about the rookies and most of the discussion from the FO was about how Metcalf was ready for immediate production and the rest of the rookies still had a lot of growing to do.

Mid-season practice reps are laser focused towards game day planning for the upcoming opponent. They aren't for teaching a rookie who missed all of training camp how to play the position in the NFL. There are other coaches who do things differently and are willing to tank in the short term to develop players in the long-term. Pete's magic is that he will be 100% convinced that his 2020 squad is contending for a Super Bowl and he can get his players to buy into that every year.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Appyhawk":yy3phn8y said:
" They traded down in 2017 passing on both TJ Watt for DE and Ramczyk for OT."

That one hurts!
Gawd, hindsight is a rude mutha. What a difference those two would have made for us, entirely changing the situation we're in right now.

Raczyk was an injury concern, and did struggle early. HIndsight...

TJ Watt would have been nice, but who knows what they were looking for art the time.

Montez Sweat had heart issues didn't he?

The Collier pick was a bit of a reach, but likely taken because of fit. McShay had him as a 2nd rounder and saw him as a perfect fit for Seattle. But he got injured.

The one thing that puzzles me, and aggravates me is Pete's choices where he doesn't give young players like Nazair or Collier enough reps.I

He used to, but now has gotten too "risk averse," which is no way to run a team. It's like "playing not to lose. " I HATE that!

He needs to go back to being the coach that built the 2013 team, instead of being That coach that every other coach in the NFL becomes by playing it safe.

None of the players we picked last year area busts yet. They're still rookies, trying to break in to a starting NFL lineup. That's on Pete, not them.

I think LJ Collier is going to be just fine, and Marquise Blair is going to blow some fools up, causing turnovers, and unnecessary roughness penalties that will produce ZERO fines.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I don't know that Blair is a single-high FS in the Seattle scheme like ET was and Diggs is bringing back.
To me Blair is more SS, and a McDougald replacement or backup. It's hard to have too many quality DBs in this league. With Tedric T and Llano Hill looking less than impressive, Blair looked better in the action he did get, and just needs to keep learning the game. I look for Blair to ball out next season.

Largent80

Reaction score
How about we just try and rid the team of Hill and Thompson and go from there. We could probably get a large Costco toilet paper container for both, which is ironic since both are ASS.

Seahawker86

Reaction score
If your first round pick doesn't play almost AT I'm going with the early signs of a bust. Until he proves me wrong that will be the narrative. 1st round picks are supposed to make an impact. Some kind of an impact. Dude never played. If he was good he would have played. He didn't even dress.

Blair on the other hand looks like a ball IMO. He's going to sir behind B-Mac until we let him walk in FA or if he gets hurts. I'm VERY excited for Blair. He's going to be a baller for us. HE'S the player I'll have patience with. Not the player who doesn't even dress

And for those who want to compare Collier to Green. Green was a third round pick correct? Nuff said

John63

Reaction score
LJ was a wasted pick at this point. Blair shows signs of promise.

Largent80

Reaction score
Late 1st round picks are always second rounders. True impact 1st rounders are gone by pick #15 so all of the assigning a value because of the round number is moot.

Collier was a projected second rounder and basically that is where the Hawks took him.

We will see improvement just like we did with Penny.

HawksSoc

Reaction score
Something not working out does not mean it was the wrong decision. They're only a year in, give them time.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
kthebestwayw":3g2yncny said:
And for those who want to compare Collier to Green. Green was a third round pick correct? Nuff said

This is specious reasoning on the assumptions that a) all drafts have equivalent talent at every position and b) that the science of drafting is known.

One only has to look at the top 10 picks of 2013 to realize that both those assertions are untrue.

It could well be that Green had the exact same grade as Collier to the Seahawks. But if there is a slow run on DE and there are decent guys with similar grades hanging around, you can afford to wait on picking Green. In the Collier case, there was a run on DE and there wasn't anyone with a similar grade behind Collier. And given we "needed" a DE at that point, he became an earlier pick than they wanted.

So comparing one years first rounder to another years 3rd rounder doesn't work because every draft is it's own ecosystem of players, grades, needs.

I'm not saying Collier's a bust or a good pick, but I certainly can understand why and I can hope that he plays at Green's level next year and not be disappointed because of the false narrative about 1st round picks needing to be better than 3rd rounders.

Basically you need to hit on 2 players per draft as legit starters. If you can do that it's successful.

John63

Reaction score
Mad Dog":d5xra5fa said:
kthebestwayw":d5xra5fa said:
Basically you need to hit on 2 players per draft as legit starters. If you can do that it's successful.

When was the last time we did that?

Largent80

Reaction score
John63":2pykqxwi said:
Mad Dog":2pykqxwi said:
kthebestwayw":2pykqxwi said:

When was the last time we did that?

This year. DK, Barton, Both starters. Plus Haynes and Homer both ended up starting games. So that's 4 if you are counting.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
All in all this last draft looked to be a good draft for the team and if both of Collier and Blair find their way to regular playing time it will be shown to be a highly successful draft. The team got productive results from Amadi and Burr-Kirven as well.

Lots of premature hand wringing going on here over Blair and Collier.

So the last draft yielded WR- Metcalf -starter, OLB- Cody Barton -starter, RB- Homer, OG- Haynes, OLB- BBK, and DB-Amadi all with significant playing time. The ones that disappointed besides Blair and Collier were WR- Ursua, DT- Christmas. To me that is a productive draft haul.

Largent80

Reaction score
It was an awesome draft by JS especially since we only had 4 picks before it. THIS year is completely different.

We don't need to trade jack squat because we have the late 1st, 2 seconds, and a 3rd. All of those are very good picks.

He may have to move a second for a coveted player in a trade, but that still gives us 3 in the first 3 rounds after using a second for a valued trade (TE...maybe Howard from TB?)

Collier is going to pay dividends this and especially next year just like Green. Green is in perfect position to take the next step. Collier will be next in line.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I would be okay with the Seahawks contracting drafting in the first two rounds to an outside consultant. Collier, Penny, McDowell, Ifedi . . . Who will be this years third rounder picked in the first round or whatever pick the Seahawks make first?

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":5yo7lrs9 said:
I would be okay with the Seahawks contracting drafting in the first two rounds to an outside consultant. Collier, Penny, McDowell, Ifedi . . . Who will be this years third rounder picked in the first round or whatever pick the Seahawks make first?
Had to get your Penny dig in didn't you?