Lj collier says he didn’t fit into the bustling Seattle culture

renofox

Reaction score
All he is saying is that his skills did not match the requirements of the Seahawks' schemes.

Many players say this when going to a new team. Sometimes it's BS and sometimes it's true.

We'll find out the truth by the end of the season.

rcaido

Reaction score
I wouldn't say he had all the chances...Only one season he was able to start, which he sucked. The rest he came off the bench with limited snaps. He even got a ton of healthy scratch games. I think he was in the dog house by one of the coaches.

i think most of the people wanted Montez Sweat.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
We gave him FAR too many chances. He could never do much of anything with those chances. He should have manned up and said he just fell far short of his own expectations for himself, Seattle gave him ample opportunity and he fully plans to redeem himself in Arizona.

That would have been the class thing to say.

NoGain

Reaction score
We gave him FAR too many chances. He could never do much of anything with those chances. He should have manned up and said he just fell far short of his own expectations for himself, Seattle gave him ample opportunity and he fully plans to redeem himself in Arizona.

Yeah, I was just going to say that. PC, as far as I can humanly tell, gave him every conceivable chance to succeed here. And you're right. The classy thing would have been for him to simply acknowledge that fact and leave it at that.

renofox

Reaction score

He prefaced his statement with "great people", "great coaches" and "great organization".

That WAS class.

Saying it was a bad fit for him is not throwing shade. I believe it was an optimistic statement about his future potential and in no way was he saying anything disrespectful of any facet of the Seahawks organization.

How does his statement lack class or respect?

NoGain

Reaction score
He prefaced his statement with "great people", "great coaches" and "great organization".

That WAS class.

Saying it was a bad fit for him is not throwing shade. I believe it was an optimistic statement about his future potential and in no way was he saying anything disrespectful of any facet of the Seahawks organization.

How does his statement lack class or respect?
That's fair enough. I think what some people took issue with was the overall vibe that something besides himself prevented him from achieving his potential here. That's all.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
That's fair enough. I think what some people took issue with was the overall vibe that something besides himself prevented him from achieving his potential here. That's all.

This.

renofox

Reaction score
The "wasn't a good fit" excuse is used by lots of players. Most of the time it's an excuse, but every once in a while it is reality.

We've all seen players who everyone thought sucked turn out to be stars after changing teams. Maybe 1 in 100 or so but it does happen.

Athletes have to believe in themselves to be successful. Right or wrong, he needs to feed that belief.

NoGain

Reaction score
The "wasn't a good fit" excuse is used by lots of players. Most of the time it's an excuse, but every once in a while it is reality.

We've all seen players who everyone thought sucked turn out to be stars after changing teams. Maybe 1 in 100 or so but it does happen.

Athletes have to believe in themselves to be successful. Right or wrong, he needs to feed that belief.
I get that. But I still have my own opinion on the matter.

Scout

Reaction score
Sometimes players need a change of scenery to be able to have opportunities they feel are open to them. For whatever reason the vibe I am reading from Collier was that he never felt he had a chance to showcase what he likes to do on the football field. It is possible that Gannon's staff in Arizona is giving him free reign to do that.

I read a article from today that to paraphrase Collier felt he proved himself already as an NFL player. But what he wants to aspire to is to be a difference maker. It is possible the Seahawks staff felt that Collier did not prove himself enough as an NFL player and that he was jumping ahead. Or in other words putting the cart before the horse as his current NFL career stats are well below average for a player drafted that high. That disagreement between performance may have created a rift and where communication and dialogue broke down.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
No reason for Seahawks fans and this board to get all butthurt over Collier's statements.

Those of us who have worked for more than two or three companies have most likely felt more comfortable with the culture and atmosphere of some of those places over others. It is no slight on the other organizations, just a matter of personal preference.

The same thing applies to locations/cities. Most who have lived in more than two or three locations/cities will say that they feel more comfortable in some places and less so in others. Again, it is not a slight on the city that we did not feel comfortable in; it is simply a matter of personal preference.

toffee

Reaction score

Two things:
  1. Why would Pete, and John, not give Collier more opportunity than others? Collier was Pete/John's first round pick, these two invested their reputation and the team's draft capital on him.
  2. It's not like we drafted him for 4-3, than we switch system on him with a new DC. Pete drafted him to fill a need, but he couldn't fill it.
I like to think our Collier was devout of logic.

GemCity

Reaction score
Can’t sugar coat this….hated the pick. Called it a reach..got destroyed by homers.

Fun fact: we get to watch our guys put him on his ass at least twice a year.

Okieseahawk

Reaction score
It wasn’t my type of system, my type of place' - L.J. Collier on his time with the Seahawks.

Curious to see how everyone responds to this statement.