Lj collier says he didn’t fit into the bustling Seattle culture

keasley45

Reaction score
It wasn’t my type of system, my type of place' - L.J. Collier on his time with the Seahawks.

Curious to see how everyone responds to this statement.
I dont see any problem with anything he said. He was being honest. We all talk about how important chemistry is to a team sport and how highly a coach like PC values 'fit' in terms of personality and characterter. It works both ways and really transcends sport to any line of work involving teamwork.

Over my career , I've had jobs in the same field, doing the same thing where I've excelled, and those where I've struggled and it's entirely been a matter of fit. My skillset didn't change. My approach didn't change. But the way I was motivated by the environment, the interface with team members and leadership... those things made a difference. It's not that any one was good or bad. It came down to how the particular environment boosted enthusiasm, interest, motivation, etc.

I think LJ is probably a good dude who just didn't feel like he was in a place where he could find that extra nudge to get to the next level. Could be that he just lost confidence after his underwhelming first year and never found what he needed mentally or emotionally to overcome it. Happens to a lot of people. A change of scenery can sometimes be all that's necessary to fully unlock one's potential.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
.NET has been discussing this since Tuesday.
@12AngryHawks made a comment in that thread with a fantastic '70s-music reference. Worth seeing.

I'm with @keasley45 above and @renofox, @Scout, and @Sun Tzu in the other thread: this is not a big deal. Collier made a point of saying positive things about Seattle and the people in the Seahawks organization before saying he didn't feel like he fit in there.

And it's pretty clear Collier didn't fit, given how often he was a healthy scratch, a member of the 53-man Seahawks roster but not the 48-man game rosters.

I see Collier going to Arizona after failing in Seattle as basically a mirror image of Nkemdiche going to Seattle after failing in Arizona. Close, but not quite a mirror image, for two reasons: first, I remember Nkemdiche getting a lot more hype than Collier (there was even one guy in the Seahawks-fan online community with the silly name, which I frequented at the time, who thought the Cardinals getting Nkemdiche in the draft was a really big deal that was going to haunt the Seahawks for years); and second, Nkemdiche went to the Dolphins for a year after the Cardinals and before the Seahawks, while Collier has gone directly to Arizona from Seattle.

Each was the 29th overall pick in his respective draft year. Collier has three sacks to show for his four years as a Seahawks, all from 2020. Nkemdiche had a five-year NFL career and got a total of 4.5 sacks, all in 2018. It seems safe to classify both as failed first-round draft picks.

Last edited:

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I didn't like the draft pick and I agree with Collier in that he didn't fit as a Seahawk. My criteria is 'who did we get to replace him and are they better than he was?' The answer is I think it would be hard NOT to get someone more productive than he was.

seabowl

Reaction score
He said in the article he has proved that he can play. What? Sure he can play but not very good. Lamar King II until proven wrong.

Rat

Reaction score
He didn't really say anything wrong; to an extent, I think we can all relate to being thrust into an environment that isn't the best fit for us. Still, given the team's investment in him and how poorly he held up his end of the deal, it might have been best left not said. In LJ's defense though, it was probably the first time a reporter has ever wanted to talk to him.

m0ng0

Reaction score
In a way you are right, he didn't buy in. Sometimes you take a job and you don't agree with how things are run and you have to either buy in or move on. Not saying anybody is right as I have worked for places that didn't feel like how it should be done and I just thought they were crazy. Southwest Airlines is one who bucked the trend back in the day and I thought there is no way this will succeed, and well they did ok. I still prefer where I landed (Alaska) but they sure were different beck in the day.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Much ado, really.

For whatever reason, he was not able to "fit" in with a culture that is regarded league-wide as one of the finest ran organizations in the NFL with a positive, character-affirming culture built on competition while letting the player be himself.

Shrug. Your play on the field speaks for itself. Either you are producing or you are not. I don't profess to know any more than the next fan why he couldn't produce or why he was a healthy scratch all those games. Obviously he lacked the talent and production the coaches covet for gameday reps.

Personally I think Pete gave him way more rope and chances than I ever would have. Onward!

Ozzy

Reaction score
I'm rooting for the guy but it was a terrible pick and almost everyone acknowledged it right after it happened. I'll never forget the shellshocked look John and Pete had most first round. While I've been ultra critical of them for this and others I think it was actually a blessing in disguise. I think they did some major self scouting and evaluation after this pick and a couple others and to their credit they completely changed how they approached the draft. They had a 3-4 year period where they were flat out bad at drafting even when factoring in how hard drafting is. But the past couple of years I think they've put themselves back into the upper tier so credit to both of them.

GemCity

Reaction score
He didn’t say anything wrong.

If a fat, ugly girl says she is pretty, she’s not necessarily wrong. Someone wants to hit that.

But, I’m allowed to disagree…

BASF

Reaction score
I'm rooting for the guy but it was a terrible pick and almost everyone acknowledged it right after it happened. I'll never forget the shellshocked look John and Pete had most first round. While I've been ultra critical of them for this and others I think it was actually a blessing in disguise. I think they did some major self scouting and evaluation after this pick and a couple others and to their credit they completely changed how they approached the draft. They had a 3-4 year period where they were flat out bad at drafting even when factoring in how hard drafting is. But the past couple of years I think they've put themselves back into the upper tier so credit to both of them.
They both gave Ken Norton Jr. too much say in who we drafted. Him not being on the team when he was with the Raiders, we drafed better. When he came back we drafted worse. Now that he is gone, we are back to drafting well. Same thing happened to the Raiders, before, during and after his tenure. He is the common denominator. Truly addition by subtraction.

rcaido

Reaction score
They both gave Ken Norton Jr. too much say in who we drafted. Him not being on the team when he was with the Raiders, we drafed better. When he came back we drafted worse. Now that he is gone, we are back to drafting well. Same thing happened to the Raiders, before, during and after his tenure. He is the common denominator. Truly addition by subtraction.
why would Norton pick Eskridge over Humphries? Brooks & Taylor seem to be decent picks. Blair had protentional but had that injury.

When he was here the first time around...We got the LOB, Wagner, & Wright...He was terrible as our DC but if he was responsible for the picks, they weren't that bad.

LJ Collier seem to be the only really bad pick, but if he turns it around in Arizona, then maybe it was just Seattle. Our defense has been pretty poor for the past 5 seasons even after Norton left.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure every D-lineman in the league, especially interior linemen would rather play in a system where they just get to pin their ears back and not have to worry about the things Pete expected of his interior linemen the past decade in the 4-3, take on double blocks, two gap integrity, stay home against the run, etc.

So yeah, if you're a mediocre player like Collier that didn't get many starts, and when he did he was expected to do the things I listed above? You probably would say what he said.

It's cool. He's probably going to wish he was back in Seattle when the Cardinals only have like two wins going into January. They are going to be AWFUL. Like 1st pick in the draft odds on favorite awful.

Okieseahawk

Reaction score
Wow, gotta say the replies here have really put a smile on my face after a hard day.

When I first read the news feed this AM about LJ's comments, it struck me as rather odd.

Pretty familiar with his work at TCU. When the Hawks drafted him a little too soon- I was still very hopeful. He may turn it around, odds heavy he probably will not. He was complimentary of the coaches, but not much else.

Sonic great Nate McMillian once said, " You must bloom where you are planted."

Still like the dude, but how could you not embrace the Seattle Pro Football environment after being entrenched for 4 years?

Attachments

• The Family.jpg
    The Family.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

cymatica

Reaction score
He's from Texas. Probably didn't like the snooty progressive vibe of Seattle. I'm guessing he didn't get to experience the enlightened redneck areas of the PNW