Lock Looked Pretty Good

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Night and day difference versus his first preseason action after coming over from Denver. The pick wasn't good at all though, and he's definitely going to watch that film and learn from it. It does seem he's grown over the first year in the system though. Good for him.

It was deflected at the line of scrimmage. It happens.

olyfan63

Reaction score
It wouldn't surprise me because Flores doesn't hold back.
Good point. I'd expect Flores, as the NEW Vikings DC, to be looking to implement his system, culture, and attitude in his players and evaluate which players will excel in HIS system. So he's looking at it with fresh eyes. Just because a player was first string last year, means nothing if he sucks in Flores system. So why not run a few stunts and blitzes in preseason game 1 and see which players "get it"?

keasley45

Reaction score
He still has a tendency to get flat footed waiting for his first read to come free. But he's far from 'ass folk'.

Seahawkwalt1967

Reaction score
I think he will take the reins when Geno hangs it up…for better or worse. I’m ok as long as he continue to improve and work on his mechanics.

sutz

Reaction score
I think he will take the reins when Geno hangs it up…for better or worse. I’m ok as long as he continue to improve and work on his mechanics.
I suspect that is the long term plan. Of course, they didn't get a long term deal from him. Not sure many backup QBs get long deals, unless they're drafted as such.

OP
OP
B

bsuhawk

Reaction score
I thought Lock looked really good against Dallas. If he has another good game against Green Bay, my guess is this is his last year in Seattle. Someone will offer him a starting job next year and he'll probably take it.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I thought Lock looked really good against Dallas. If he has another good game against Green Bay, my guess is this is his last year in Seattle. Someone will offer him a starting job next year and he'll probably take it.
I could name a few teams where he could be named the starter right now - Bucs, Titans, and Packers.

Which begs the question, if one of these teams offers a trade package (say 3rd or 4th rounder) for Drew Lock do you plug the trigger on it? (and no I'm not advocating trading him) but Pete Carroll will help his players with trade, etc if it is in their best interest. Starting in the NFL is definitely in the best interest for Lock.

Last edited:

bileever

Reaction score
I thought he looked sharper than he did against Minnesota. He did work mainly against second stringers, so we can't go overboard here. I think that the league-wide perception of Lock is that he's still unproven and I don't know if there is a team that will give him a shot at winning the starting job, depends on how many jobs come open after this year.

He's definitely one of the top backup QBs in the league. I would even take him as a starter over the following starting QBs: Baker Mayfield, Davis Mills/CJ Stroud, Desmond Ridder, Sam Howell, Kenny Pickett and Ryan Tannehill. I might even take Lock over Mac Jones and Derek Carr.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Lock has never had a problem with a lack of ability. His problem is that he looks great for 95% of the plays but then makes an absolute boneheaded, game changing mistake, like not reading a blitz in the Steelers preseason game last year, leading to a strip sack.

I'm good with him being a back-up, but he's not our QBOTF. And yes, I'd be open to a trade.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yep, that's been his issue since day 1. He has plenty of talent, a cannon for an arm etc. But he makes that dumb decision to erase all the good decisions. I like him as our backup though. But our future QB? Nah

Mick063

Reaction score
I want Lock to be the quarterback of the future, but Geno will be good for too long for it to happen. I would be happy with either one of them as the starter for the next ten years. Especially if their contracts are team friendly.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Lock has never had a problem with a lack of ability. His problem is that he looks great for 95% of the plays but then makes an absolute boneheaded, game changing mistake.....
This sounds alot like Ryan Fitzpatrick. Well liked, smart, but the timing of his picks was always late 4th quarter, and lethal.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I think people are selling Lock short. He had questionable coaching in Denver and he's finally getting good coaching here. He just needs reps and coaching. He looked really good vs. Cowboys, including moving around out of the pocket. Decisionmaking and accuracy looked good. He knows why he f'ed up in Denver, the bad decisions and turnovers. I'm sure that's been a personal focus for him his whole time here.

We won't know the truth about his progress until he gets his first regular season opportunity. He's been watching and learning from Geno and others the whole time. Pete & John gave him a decent backup QB contract, well above vet min, to stick here. If they didn't value him as being potential starter quality, and a legit NFL backup, they would have lowballed him and he would have left. Drew also knows his best shot is in Seattle, with a system he knows, players he knows, and coaches who believe in him. He knows it's Geno's team this year and no question he is targeting next season's QB competition and testing free agency.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Yep, that's been his issue since day 1. He has plenty of talent, a cannon for an arm etc. But he makes that dumb decision to erase all the good decisions. I like him as our backup though. But our future QB? Nah
How much of that was him, and how much was the lack of reps in a consistent offense? I believe this is the first time he's had the same OC for two years in a row. There's no way to know for sure unless he starts multiple games.

Jville

Reaction score
How much of that was him, and how much was the lack of reps in a consistent offense? I believe this is the first time he's had the same OC for two years in a row. There's no way to know for sure unless he starts multiple games.

That bears repeating " ............. this is the first time he's had the same OC for two years in a row."

QWERTY

Reaction score
I could name a few teams where he could be named the starter right now - Bucs, Titans, and Packers.

Which begs the question, if one of these teams offers a trade package (say 3rd or 4th rounder) for Drew Lock do you plug the trigger on it? (and no I'm not advocating trading him) but Pete Carroll will help his players with trade, etc if it is in their best interest. Starting in the NFL is definitely in the best interest for Lock.
Mayfield is a lock in TB

And Love is playing decent in GB ( Just by looking at stats).

Titans already have an project QB.

toffee

Reaction score
Too bad that we didn't get to see more of Lock in the Dallas game, Lock's ability was in display, but like to see more consistency.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I really like his arm and he has been absolutely a star team player since he arrived. I am rooting for him to succeed in the league in some capacity whether with us or somewhere else.