Long Snapper Clint Gresham released

kearly

Reaction score
Jville":2m7eb122 said:
The plot thickens .............. [tweet]https://twitter.com/Bradley60Sowell/status/708858601876676608[/tweet]

[urltargetblank]https://www.instagram.com/p/BC4Nbw4KQJU/[/urltargetblank]

I'm sure it's just insurance training as a backup LS. But still, pretty interesting.

kearly

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":25g78t5d said:
Remember a few years ago (may have been in the Holmgren days) when we had long snapper problems galore? Hope this doesn't happen again.

Most NFL teams pay their LS league minimum and most don't have issues. I think Holmy got unlucky.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":1rff7adv said:
Meeker":1rff7adv said:
Seahawks fans should remember the post J.P. Darche days

Bingo.

This. Gresham was able to put the laces in Jon Ryan's hands the same way, everytime. How? He practiced, and practiced, and practiced. Hot weather, cold weather, wet weather, he was flawless.

I remember a couple of year ago when Mebane's first contract was up, John Scneider said "He's a good, steady performer."

As if that's all he was, an average DT... Luckily for us, Brandon told his agent that he wanted to stay in Seattle.

sutz

Reaction score
I know it's irrational, but little moves like this always make me a bit fearful.

Yes, I remember the post-JP Darche days and have no desire to make our place kicking or punting games more exciting. ;)

Smellyman

Reaction score
Basis4day":aw07zp9o said:
drdiags":aw07zp9o said:
Basis4day":aw07zp9o said:
drdiags":aw07zp9o said:
Really bums me sometimes that other teams have bloggers and local media that give deeper background details on players performances and not just speculation but comments from coaches.

There are plenty of blogs that go into performances of the players, FieldGulls being a fantastic example. Same for seahawksdraftblog.

As far as getting deeper than That speaks to the FO's ability to plug leaks, which is a good thing.

Take a more extreme example. How many other teams would have been able to hide the fact that Harvin and Tate got into a fist fight the week of the Superbowl? I'm REALLY glad it didn't get out. You take the good with the bad.

Sure, they can give you empircal data that you could then extrapolate to a player not performing or being in trouble but that isn't straight from the horse's mouth. Sure, it is a good sign that the team runs a tight ship but I haven't seen a Seahawk coach sit down and talk scheme with fans since "Knox Talks Hawks" (he drove me crazy with that coach's clicker). Speaks to accessibility. I applaud the FGulls of the world but they are left filling the blank a lot of the time. Oh well, that was back in the stone age so I need to catch up.

Like they did at the Seahawks Town Hall?

http://www.seahawks.com/video/2015/06/0 ... all-replay

And every Monday on 710

peppersjap

Reaction score
pmedic920":243gxakr said:
Basis4day":243gxakr said:
We have another long snapper on the roster.

Why would you want Nate Boyer other than his feel good story?

IDK Bro, that was my knee jerk reaction to the news.
I really liked #49 and wasn't thinking about the current roster or salary cap.
7e33ddc1ff3c2b739f08da1bda29bea9.jpg

3111b76685ed7ca384945429c404a2ab.jpg

I'm big on "team chemistry" and think of him as one of the "good" ingredients.
Now that just makes me sad, what a classy guy and my favorite long snapper ever!

Hawknight

Reaction score
Jville":2yumy9kl said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/NFL_DovKleiman/status/710220182296338432[/tweet][tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/710220627521634304[/tweet][tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/710220863673479169[/tweet][tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/710221464851456000[/tweet][tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/710221569453195266[/tweet]

BOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

minormillikin

Reaction score
This move makes me sad. Gresham has a special place for me because of this exchange from his first year:

(While watching a Seahawks game with my wife, after the Seahawks punt)

Wife: Where was Gresham on that play?
Me: Who?
Wife: Clint Gresham, the long-snapper, he wasn't on the field for the punt. Number 49.
Me: (googling "Clint Gresham") Wow, we do have a guy named Gresham!

This exchange represented the moment I knew my wife had become a Seahawks maniac, and we both became Clint Gresham "fans."

mikeak

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":2yklfi32 said:
I really doubt Sowell makes the final 53.

I think he's a hedge UFA and nothing more. If we crap out in the draft he may stick. At this point he's costing us a 5th round comp pick for 2017. So keeping him is pretty much like trading a 5th round pick for him. I don't think that's the only reason he'll be released but I do absolutely think it will factor in strongly if the choice comes down to him or another guy. Sowell is pretty much a replacement level player.

Except for the detail that one-year contracts don't count against comp picks

ivotuk

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":38rnhynk said:
Haha so much animosity over a LS...calm down people

Apparently you weren't here during the pre-Gresham years when a long snap was a gamble in itself. Games are lost by long snappers. The kickers always take the blame, but a lot of kicks have gone awry when the ball is low, high or bounces off the turf.

McGruff

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":3tuv7yvy said:
Why can't the center pretend he's in a shotgun formation? :229031_confused2: :Dunno:

A long snap is a lot further and faster than a shotgun snap, and requires minute attention to the rotation of the ball so that it gets to the holder with the laces in the correct position.

It really is a pretty amazing exercise in physics to watch a good snapper practice.

chris98251

Reaction score
I remember the high snaps, the bouncing snaps the left and right snaps, the floaty snaps, the roll the dice and do we get the kick off or is it blocked. That was pretty ugly, it was go for it on 4th down because the snap would be off and a blocked punt, or forget the field goal fake it and go for the first because the kick would be blocked or the snap muffed.

Those days are etched in my mind and I was hoping we would not see them again any time soon.

It was a blooper reel season till we got Gresham.

Chapow

Reaction score
Good lord people. This whole thread is just :34853_doh: followed by :shock: followed by :roll: and a few more :34853_doh: .

Gresham has been a good reliable long snapper for us and I certainly appreciate that and I'm glad that he got a ring with us.

But some of you are acting like he is some sort of irreplaceable cog in a championship machine. He is not. He's a long snapper. You all make it seem like finding a decent long snapper is as hard as finding a franchise QB in the 3rd round. As has already been mentioned, most teams pay their long snapper league minimum and they do just fine. And Gresham is no where near as perfect as some of you are trying to portray him. He has bad snaps sometimes just like every other long snapper in the league. Remember the wild card game in this years playoffs? Jon Ryan had to try to run for a 1st down instead of kicking the ball away because of a very low and to the left snap. He ended up with a broken nose and Minny ended up with very good starting field position.

I like Gresham. Seems like a good guy and a good long snapper. I don't know why this happened because the money savings is awfully small in the big scheme of things for an NFL team, but c'mon guys, this is ridiculous.

I for one, am going to have faith that our front office will be able to pull of the miracle and almost impossible task of replacing a long snapper. If not, I guess we can all start looking forward to a top ten pick in next years draft.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Chapow":1l0t49df said:
Good lord people. This whole thread is just :34853_doh: followed by :shock: followed by :roll: and a few more :34853_doh: .

Gresham has been a good reliable long snapper for us and I certainly appreciate that and I'm glad that he got a ring with us.

But some of you are acting like he is some sort of irreplaceable cog in a championship machine. He is not. He's a long snapper. You all make it seem like finding a decent long snapper is as hard as finding a franchise QB in the 3rd round. As has already been mentioned, most teams pay their long snapper league minimum and they do just fine. And Gresham is no where near as perfect as some of you are trying to portray him. He has bad snaps sometimes just like every other long snapper in the league. Remember the wild card game in this years playoffs? Jon Ryan had to try to run for a 1st down instead of kicking the ball away because of a very low and to the left snap. He ended up with a broken nose and Minny ended up with very good starting field position.

I like Gresham. Seems like a good guy and a good long snapper. I don't know why this happened because the money savings is awfully small in the big scheme of things for an NFL team, but c'mon guys, this is ridiculous.

I for one, am going to have faith that our front office will be able to pull of the miracle and almost impossible task of replacing a long snapper. If not, I guess we can all start looking forward to a top ten pick in next years draft.

It simple.

Fans have varying levels of investment.

Thank God, that not everybody is perfect like you and I.

Latest posts