Long Snapper Clint Gresham released

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
McGruff":mpi3gxzm said:
KitsapGuy":mpi3gxzm said:
Why can't the center pretend he's in a shotgun formation? :229031_confused2: :Dunno:

A long snap is a lot further and faster than a shotgun snap, and requires minute attention to the rotation of the ball so that it gets to the holder with the laces in the correct position.

It really is a pretty amazing exercise in physics to watch a good snapper practice.

I had a conversation this summer with a guy who was a center in college. I asked him why he hadn't tried his hand at long snapping. I figured it would be a pretty easy transition. Plus if you didn't necessarily have the requisite skills or size to play o-line in the NFL, then long snapping would be an easy way to earn a nice paycheck. He basically told me that it was a highly specialized skill that not many can do. He went into some of the specifics and how he had tried but could never master it.

McGruff

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":3vnzzvkj said:
McGruff":3vnzzvkj said:
KitsapGuy":3vnzzvkj said:
Why can't the center pretend he's in a shotgun formation? :229031_confused2: :Dunno:

A long snap is a lot further and faster than a shotgun snap, and requires minute attention to the rotation of the ball so that it gets to the holder with the laces in the correct position.

It really is a pretty amazing exercise in physics to watch a good snapper practice.

I had a conversation this summer with a guy who was a center in college. I asked him why he hadn't tried his hand at long snapping. I figured it would be a pretty easy transition. Plus if you didn't necessarily have the requisite skills or size to play o-line in the NFL, then long snapping would be an easy way to earn a nice paycheck. He basically told me that it was a highly specialized skill that not many can do. He went into some of the specifics and how he had tried but could never master it.

Funny thing is, most long snappers are 240 pound linebackers, not true linemen.

sam1313

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":3v2kqok4 said:
McGruff":3v2kqok4 said:
KitsapGuy":3v2kqok4 said:

I don't know man, I wasn't the most coordinated kid in high school but I was the back up long-snapper. I played a year at center too with the QB at various distances behind me, and it wasn't that difficult. I agree with you when you asked him why not perfect that skill, and I can't believe that he tried that hard to master it. Just like the Sowell video shows, you long snap 50 or so times a day for a couple of months and you will master that shit. It isn't like throwing a football to a moving receiver 20 yards down field, you are throwing to a freaking stationary target the exact same distance behind you each and every time (or at least one of two distances for field goals and punts). The only time that changes (and why it is one of the most often screwed up) is when a team is punting from their own end zone and doesn't have enough space for the typical punter - center distance.

Now I do think it is a little tougher for someone who is playing every down to also be the long snapper. You get beat up, get your hands stepped on, your arms get pumped from particularly tough blocks, you get pissed off, etc. and that can all have some effect on the long snap, and it is probably the reason a lot of long-snapper only do that one job. If you have two back-ups who can both do it though you are probably in pretty good shape.

Anyway, peace Clint. I've enjoyed having you on the team and I am glad you got your ring!

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I could be wrong here, but the way I see it, the release of Gresham has nothing to do with dollars and everything to do with roster spots going into training camp. The free agency moves by the front office have made it perfectly clear that the plan is to accumulate a ton of linemen and let them duke it out in training camp, may the best man win. Releasing Gresham frees up another roster spot for that competition. Doing it now gives him a shot at landing a spot with another team, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him back on the team after the pre-season concludes if he isn't picked up by another team.

Or, maybe they want to preserve the extra roster spot by using a player that can play a dual role.

Either way, it's about the roster spot, not the money IMHO. We aren't even saving enough to pay for one rookie.

-bsd

chris98251

Reaction score
We sign 90 people for our off season roster, Where is the other 89 at?

Basis4day

Reaction score
bigskydoc":38himnt8 said:
I could be wrong here, but the way I see it, the release of Gresham has nothing to do with dollars and everything to do with roster spots going into training camp. The free agency moves by the front office have made it perfectly clear that the plan is to accumulate a ton of linemen and let them duke it out in training camp, may the best man win. Releasing Gresham frees up another roster spot for that competition. Doing it now gives him a shot at landing a spot with another team, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him back on the team after the pre-season concludes if he isn't picked up by another team.

Or, maybe they want to preserve the extra roster spot by using a player that can play a dual role.

Either way, it's about the roster spot, not the money IMHO. We aren't even saving enough to pay for one rookie.

-bsd

Except they have another LS on the roster in Andrew East who plays no other position.

It isn't about a roster spot. 90 spots is plenty of room to have a OL battle. There is a common saying for nfl players. They keep you until they find someone who is younger and can do the same job more cheaply.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
We currently have 79 active players on the roster. We have 9 draft picks. That's a total of 88 players after the draft.

Now that does include some who will clearly not be back (Coleman), but it's getting pretty tight on roster spots. We are getting to the point that if we want to bring anyone in we will have to cut someone else.

Better for him to cut him now while he has a chance of landing a spot with another team than when we actually need the spot, and that seems to be the M.O. of this front office. If we plan on him being with us for the season, there is no need for him to be on the team during the offseason. He will keep up his skills and he can be reintegrated week one without a hitch.

A better question would be, "If that is the case, why Andrew East? And no, just because Shawn Johnson is cute isn't reason enough."

Edited to add: Typing my response at same time as Basis4Day makes that last sentence seem out of place

-bsd

Latest posts