Looks like the Saints are going with Dalton again

bmorepunk

Reaction score
We haven't had a good track record against backup quarterbacks. I remember how the Giants took it to us with Colt McCoy a couple years back.
The Seahawks were 3 -3 against backups in the 2020/2021 Seasons. But two of those losses came against Colt McCoy (as both a Giant and Cardinal).

Also, I feel like the "make the backup QB look like an All Pro" sentiment gets overblown around here. From 2017-2022 this team won about 60% of games which isn't that different from the win rate against backups.

RiverDog

Reaction score
The Seahawks were 3 -3 against backups in the 2020/2021 Seasons. But two of those losses came against Colt McCoy (as both a Giant and Cardinal).

Also, I feel like the "make the backup QB look like an All Pro" sentiment gets overblown around here. From 2017-2022 this team won about 60% of games which isn't that different from the win rate against backups.
I agree, that in actuality, we perform just about the same against backups as

League wide, backups win just 33% of their starts (I wish I could find the graphic, but I saw it last year, so I ask that you trust me). The 40% success rate that you quoted would qualify as a poor track record, plus as you indicated, our W/L record over that period of time is over .500, meaning that you would expect a backup to perform less than average against us, or less than 33%.

But my point wasn't to argue the winning percentage of backup QB's. It was that we shouldn't be assuming that our odds have improved based on the news that Andy Dalton will start the game Sunday.

Slick

Reaction score
With Kamara the Saints could have Bobby Hebert strut down from the press box and hand off 40 times and probably win. Hugh Millen could take a break from dumpster diving downtown Seattle with protesters and walk to New Orleans and, again, hand the ball off 40 times and the Saints probably will win.

JPatera76

Reaction score
Man i gotta say it's nice to see Guido back here. And a few other older members I used to see post off and on. Now we only need Kearly to comeback with Blitzer lol the universe will have come back to order.. right? One can hope.

BASF

Reaction score
Still have to stop the NO running games. Kamara has ran all over us the last few times.
Not technically true unless you are including his yards after catch as running all over us. We actually played his runs really well in 2021 at just 2.6 ypc and if you take out the one run he went for twelve yards, it was just 2.1 ypc. However, he did have ten catches for 128 yards and a touchdown.

OP
OP
FrodosFinger

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Probably doesn't matter. What with the Hawks' issues with their run D, even a quadriplegic blind three-toed sloth could run all over us.
Have a little faith guy because once the defense starts clicking it’ll be a beautiful thing. Probably won’t be til next year but the future is looking very bright with our draft capital. And they scored an A+ on this last draft

OP
OP
FrodosFinger

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Dalton was washed three years ago. I'd rather face Pick-Six Winston too, but if we lose, I'm confident it won't be because our defense got torn up by Andy Freakin' Dalton.
This^^^
People in this thread talking about the ginger ninja like he’s Dan Marino is laughable

Reactions: Rat

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Dalton was washed three years ago. I'd rather face Pick-Six Winston too, but if we lose, I'm confident it won't be because our defense got torn up by Andy Freakin' Dalton.
Agreed. Our defense will probably pick off Dalton, too. I'm not worried about that at all.

It's all fundamentals stuff. Tackling, edge contain, knowing which gap you're responsible for, etc.. All stuff that it doesn't matter if you're facing Tom Brady or Baker Mayfield.