Lower Leg Fracture

getnasty

Reaction score
edogg23":27wp91n8 said:
And this is exactly why the Seahawks were correct in not giving him an early extension.

So are we wrong for drafting Will Dissely?

crosfam

Reaction score
getnasty":2vfug32t said:
edogg23":2vfug32t said:
And this is exactly why the Seahawks were correct in not giving him an early extension.

No comparison in terms if risk management. Earl is over 30 and making about ten times more.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
getnasty":1fc27dkj said:
edogg23":1fc27dkj said:

Apples n oranges.

Methinks Earl's precarious health was far more known behind the curtain than publicly declared. It's a big reason why teams weren't willing to spend big to acquire him. It's also why he was so ticked off - he had to be confronted with that fact.

The guy played his guts out every game. No doubt about that. He was also prone to serious bouts of over-emotional nonsense that often made him as much a liability as an asset. The team has been riddled with that stuff the last few seasons.

We need to clean house. Today's injury was an unfortunate means of continuing that process.

I do wish Earl the best.

RIP LOB

nategreat

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1046551816161447938[/tweet]

Can you imagine Earl back by a VERY hypothetical Super Bowl? The drama would be out of this world. Earl would either:

a) Play in the Super Bowl because.... it's the freakin Super Bowl!

or

b) Sit out because he doesn't want to risk it all again, even if it's the Super Bowl

If you asked me today to make that prediction, I would definitely think Earl sides with option B- I hope I'd be wrong. But the discussion and debate would be out of control! You'd have to think though, that if we got there... again, a very big hypothetical IF... how much would we even be relying on Earl's play? It would be nice though.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
BullHawk33":34cpf73m said:
Earl broke his leg as the best safety in the league. I wish him the best if he wants to return and I hope I don't see him in any other uniform.

The LOB left it all out on the field, each and every one of them. Nothing but respect for those guys.

Respect is earned by character, not just your play on the field. The LOB may have started great but in the end every one of those guys turned into a sour grape in one form or another. I won't be sad to see Earl go, his character has gone to shit so hard I almost hope I never see him in a Seahawks uniform again. Good luck making that money though, since thats more important than your legacy and all.

FinNasty

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":cq5lyd81 said:
for ET per Pete's presser.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/johnpboyle/status/1046544640197898242[/tweet]

And this is EXACTLY why he wanted a new contract...

Edit by staff.
This is not the Shack

semiahmoo

Reaction score
nategreat":2f5t5s1q said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1046551816161447938[/tweet]

Can you imagine Earl back by a VERY hypothetical Super Bowl? The drama would be out of this world. Earl would either:

a) Play in the Super Bowl because.... it's the freakin Super Bowl!

or

b) Sit out because he doesn't want to risk it all again, even if it's the Super Bowl

If you asked me today to make that prediction, I would definitely think Earl sides with option B- I hope I'd be wrong. But the discussion and debate would be out of control! You'd have to think though, that if we got there... again, a very big hypothetical IF... how much would we even be relying on Earl's play? It would be nice though.

Even if 100% healthy Earl will be watching SB from his couch 'cause the Hawks ain't going cuz...

2_0_6

Reaction score
Same leg he broke before..... makes me wonder if this is strictly coincidence or something more telling.

It could be possible that the Hawks knew his leg would not hold up for the long term so that's why an extension was never struck.

FinNasty

Reaction score
Scorpion05":21brrehx said:
On the one hand, it shows why he held out. Trying to secure and guarantee his future and a future for his family. On the other hand, it shows why the NFL is a cut throat business

It’s a 2 way street though. You can’t demand loyalty from players and then play the cut throat side of the business on the other side...

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
semiahmoo":3pkp7lw6 said:
James in PA":3pkp7lw6 said:
Both sides can play the “I told you so” game. Earl is saying “this is exactly why I wanted security. I just lost millions.” Pete & John are saying “this is why we didn’t want to give a guy soon to be in his 30’s a monster contract.”

The winner is a team without selfish assholes on it that are unwilling to play out their ultimately rich and overpaid contracts.

Bye Earl.

nategreat

Reaction score
semiahmoo":2p602dv0 said:
Even if 100% healthy Earl will be watching SB from his couch 'cause the Hawks ain't going cuz...

Hence very clearly using the term "hypothetical" twice bruh...

toffee

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":krcag4kr said:
semiahmoo":krcag4kr said:
James in PA":krcag4kr said:
Both sides can play the “I told you so” game. Earl is saying “this is exactly why I wanted security. I just lost millions.” Pete & John are saying “this is why we didn’t want to give a guy soon to be in his 30’s a monster contract.”

The winner is a team without selfish assholes on it that are unwilling to play out their ultimately rich and overpaid contracts.

Bye Earl.

This!!

Our team will be better without Earl, even if we may suffer a setback of sort in short term.

This is bye Earl, see ya, go back to Dallas we the 12s don't want you to be around.

AgentDib

Reaction score
FinNasty":2hlcjljn said:
It’s a 2 way street though. You can’t demand loyalty from players and then play the cut throat side of the business on the other side...
I'm honestly not sure what you are talking about here. We will have paid Earl $58 million for 9 seasons based on the contracts he agreed to, and he collects 100% of the money he was due for the two seasons he did not finish due to injury.

I certainly don't have a problem with Earl trying to negotiate more money for himself but what makes the team's refusal to give him that money a cut throat move? Employment is a two way street and if we don't feel his future production is worth the money then surely there is no moral obligation to hand out ill-advised contracts like we're running some sort of soup kitchen?

semiahmoo

Reaction score
toffee":37kw1mxa said:
NFSeahawks628":37kw1mxa said:
semiahmoo":37kw1mxa said:
James in PA":37kw1mxa said:

Bye Earl.

This!!

Our team will be better without Earl, even if we may suffer a setback of sort in short term.

This is bye Earl, see ya, go back to Dallas we the 12s don't want you to be around.

Lower the 12th man flag and play taps.

This legacy is cooked!!!

scutterhawk

Reaction score
pacific101":vupg9acd said:
I hate like hell to see Earl injured again and to the same leg that betrayed him before. I’ll say this without emphasizing the “I told you so”, to much. When Earl first announced his plans to set out and demand a trade or a long term contract, and it was clear the home office wasn’t going down that path again after the Kam fiasco, I was all for trading him away, because I worried his heart wasn’t with the Seahawks anymore,?he made it crystal clear that he wanted a divorce from the 12 and a fat juicy contract with the Dallas Cowboys.

I saw the writing on the wall when he announced he wasn’t going to suit up and show up for practices and training like all the other players are mandated to. Any professional athlete knows that the best way to minimize your risk of injury, is to stay in peak condition. Even then it will only diminish your possibilities of injury.

Earl knows this better than anyone in the game, and he also had to have contemplated that, his safety first philosophy to avoid injury, and cinch himself a fat sassy contract at seasons end, might very well backfire on him. Well folks it did today in Arizona where it happened before. Hindsight is always 20/20.

In his first injury the 12 all stood firmly and unanimously honored his contract and showed all the love and support a player could ask for during his recovery efforts. That was then and this is now. Since Earl sat out the first half of his current contract, with his reinjury combined, and ran off Dow the tunnel at the Cowboys to announce his lifetime loyalties to his beloved Cowboys, and in the process, embarrassed and humiliated his teammates, coaches, fans and the Seahawks home office personnel who sign his contracts and paychecks.

Then he does everything he can to try and force our hand and get us to give him to the Cowboys for a song and a dance, who didn’t want to gamble in his longevity either. They offered some trade and would have paid him as much as the Seahawks were bound to for this season, but it didn’t appear that they were all that interested in giving Earl the big bucks extended contract he was demanding fro Seattle either.

If you read back thru some of my prior post I cited that Earl didn’t look or play like the Earl of old, and thAt he kept gimping off the field at the end of plays when he had to pursue missed tackles down the field, grabbing at the back of his rehabilitated leg. I hoped it would all heal up and that he’d fully heal up and return this season.

This season, Earl to his credit, was giving it his all when he was on the field for us, but not as well as he played for us prior to his previous leg break. He is such a talented baller, that even not recovered, he played better than about anyone else in the NFL in his position could play.

I’m not saying we should turn our backs on Earl, that in spite of the chitty way he has treated us, and the piss poor approach he returned to play for, dictating that if he so much as had a toe ache he was going to set out practice, so not to possibly sustain an injury that would jeopardize his leverage for a fat long term deal with the Seahawks. I remember thinking to myself when I was listening to his rant, that sure as hell, as fate would have it, he was going to end up injured for the same reason as he used to avoid getting injured.

If, and it’s a big if, Earl is able to recover from this present injury, and finish out the season, and do so with the same fire and dedication as everyone else in the team, and show a little genuine humility regarding the way he crapped on all the people that have cared and cheered him on since day one in the NFL, I would not object to signing Earl to a 3 or even a 4 year deal at whatever the going rate is in the league for a free safety.

I guess for now it’s going to be a wait and see, I’m curious to hear from Earl, and what he’s got to say about things as they are now. I know I was miffed when he came back to practice and went on the rant about not forgetting the disrespect shown to him? Which is how a lot of us felt about his Cowboy fiasco. I hope when all is said and done, Earl realizes who has had and who will continue to have his back from day one.

Go Seahawks!
Couldn't have said it any better :2thumbs:

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":qvh8f4m6 said:
Thats why we didn't pay him.

Good move. No it's not selfish, no it's not unfair.
Exactly. John has come out on the wrong side of the extensions for older vets. It was the right call. I do wish they would've traded him earlier, though.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Was Earl at increased risk playing for the Hawks as opposed to another team? I can think only of two reasons why that would happen:

1) Earl's missed practices caused him to be less physically and mentally prepared;
or
2) The Hawks' defensive strategy at Earl's position put him at greater risk than he would have encountered at other teams in general, perhaps DAL in particular.

Arguing against (2) is Earl's own article in The Players Tribune( https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us ... ks-holdout), in which he argues that his longevity has made him better and more prepared in the scheme.

I'm just confused as to why Earl is angry with the Hawks over the IR.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":33efn5zx said:
semiahmoo":33efn5zx said:
James in PA":33efn5zx said:

Bye Earl.
At some point if your football resume has All Pro first team, countless Pro Bowls and your peers and other coaches believe you to be the "best" at your position, you should be selfish and get paid all you can while you can.

Even the young guys on their rookie contracts right now, eventually when they gain all these accolades, they're gonna be thought by some fans as "selfish" because he wants "a lot/too much" money. You can't blame the player for wanting all he can get.

If your job had a salary cap and you know you have been more productive than your coworker but your coworker is making more than you, and when it came down for you to get paid but people are telling you, you're selfish for wanting so much, you wouldn't give a bleep what other people think, you deserve to be compensated for what you have done/will do.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":2ibeze96 said:
NFSeahawks628":2ibeze96 said:
Thats why we didn't pay him.

Good move. No it's not selfish, no it's not unfair.
Exactly. John has come out on the wrong side of the extensions for older vets. It was the right call. I do wish they would've traded him earlier, though.

Agreed. He had become poison to the collective good.

GO HAWKS!

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Very unfortunate. Hope Earl has a full and speedy recovery. He was playing extremely well. There’s a huge void in the secondary now. I wonder if the Seahawks will look to add another vet safety.... I believe Mike Mitchell and TJ Ward are still available. They’ll be definitely scouring the wire.