Luani wearing #24

bigskydoc

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/1037446301921624064[/tweet]

:pukeface:

Too soon, and on a player who is unlikely to be anything more than a JAG. Seems disrespectful.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I know you cannot retire every number.

But the guy that literally carried your team to the SB and might be the reason you would have won another, that guy should have his own number.

Not Luani's fault though. I hope he does well in spite of being saddled with that number.

OP
OP
bigskydoc

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I’ve come around to thinking that it probably shouldn’t be retired, but it shouldn’t be reissued as long as any member of the XLVIII team is still on the roster. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ivotuk

Reaction score
I understand the sentiment, but don't agree with it. Give it out to whoever needs a jersey. He's not worried about us, he retired and became an Oakland Raider. And good for him.

He got paid a lot of money to play here, and they let him leave with a lot of money when they could have asked for it back. They also facilitated his move to Oakland Raiders. So I don't think we owe him anything.

I love what he did for this team, but Marshawn was for Marshawn. Pete and John rescued him from Buffalo and put him on the road to a Superbowl and possible HOF. Pete also let him get away with things that no other player got away with. Again, I don't think we owe him anything.

I'm a bit sentimental about the number, and what he did here, BeastQuake, wearing down defenses, but would he have gotten those opportunities anywhere else?

Maulbert

Reaction score
It gets retired if he's a HoFer. The bar has already been set. Besides, why should we hold back a number when he chose to go play for someone else?

It's a number. He wasn't even the first to wear it. This isn't a Largent/Rice situation.

CostaRicaHawk

Reaction score
ivotuk":2d5enbsq said:
I understand the sentiment, but don't agree with it. Give it out to whoever needs a jersey. He's not worried about us, he retired and became an Oakland Raider. And good for him.

He got paid a lot of money to play here, and they let him leave with a lot of money when they could have asked for it back. They also facilitated his move to Oakland Raiders. So I don't think we owe him anything.

I love what he did for this team, but Marshawn was for Marshawn. Pete and John rescued him from Buffalo and put him on the road to a Superbowl and possible HOF. Pete also let him get away with things that no other player got away with. Again, I don't think we owe him anything.

I'm a bit sentimental about the number, and what he did here, BeastQuake, wearing down defenses, but would he have gotten those opportunities anywhere else?

Nicely put. :2thumbs:

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Retiring numbers seems silly now that we're in an era where many numbers maybe will be deserving. I would just open all the numbers back, and create a true Seahawks Hall of Fame. History can be told many different ways other than the absence of a number on the field.

zetes

Reaction score
Maulbert":1b6k361i said:
It gets retired if he's a HoFer. The bar has already been set. Besides, why should we hold back a number when he chose to go play for someone else?

It's a number. He wasn't even the first to wear it. This isn't a Largent/Rice situation.

Exactly.

mrt144

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":358q5td0 said:
I know you cannot retire every number.

But the guy that literally carried your team to the SB and might be the reason you would have won another, that guy should have his own number.

Not Luani's fault though. I hope he does well in spite of being saddled with that number.

If we could go to 4 digits like I want to...

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Not a fan of retiring numbers. I would like it to be more of a "you can wear the number if you deserve it" but the blessing has to be given by the original person who made it great.

Even with that said I don't think Rice should have worn 80. We knew he was a one year thing. Wasn't like he was Randy Moss in his first couple years and I would hope the new player would be honored to wear a jersey respected by the team. Rice put Largent in a bad situation. The media would have had a field day if Largent said no.

dbsn2420

Reaction score
Time to move on! No dis to Beast Mode, but he's been gone a while now. He obviously didn't want to play in Seattle. Passing along #24 doesn't diminish what ML did while he was here.

I'm good with the decision to move on!

JPC4Days

Reaction score
He along with a lot of Seahawk players ...have treated the franchise leaders with less respect than they deserve...

What did Seahawks do for Lynch?

Rescued him from Buffalo ..where he was on his way out of the league ..talking shit about slush and getting arrested...and brought him to a system and culture ...where he could flourish ....be himself and practice with the Defensive line ...cuz that ...is just Marshawn....

With a lot of these players leaving the Hawks ...they have disrespected ...Pete and John repeatedly ....
Kind of like spoiled kids ...yelling at there parents.
There is a reason we got a former high first round pick ...for a fourth rounder and Pete bent over backwards to accommodate... Marshawn from day one... because like all of us ..he likes tough running.

People always talk about ..how much we owe Marshawn... how about Marshawn ...thanking John and Pete for helping him resurrect his career. When he left he thanked Paul Allen ..the fans and some other people ...but not John and Pete .....how fake is that ...since they are the ones responsible for it all happening.

Anyway he was a great Seahawk ....and always will be .... that can never be taken away... but the Hawks don't owe him shit. Down the road when more time has passed maybe a mutual respect can be found ... and he can be placed in the ring of honor ..where he belongs.

chris98251

Reaction score
Yeah Lynch should have never been allowed to wear it after Shawn Springs anyway :)

The Breh

Reaction score
And Chris Warren, even though looking like a beast himself, looks weird wearing the Raiders #34.
A lot of the #'s from the Lynch/Pete/LOB Hawks are going to look funny on the next man, in time.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
Maulbert":32seulkd said:

Which still sickens me to this day.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Retiring numbers is the most stupid thing ever. Hyperbolic sentimentality.

Numbers should serve as inspiration for the next guy to wear them.

As for Lunch he was a good player but to suggest he is the only reason we won a superbowl is ridiculous.