Luke Willson

RichNhansom

Reaction score
TXHawk":20dyrsgk said:
What's funny is that the 49ers used a 2nd round pick last year on Willson's teammate Vance McDonald and he's been a non-factor for them. The Hawks got the better Rice TE using a lower pick.

Its even better than just that. The Miners traded up (using multiple picks) to grab the wrong guy and since we knew they were they only team we were worried about taking a Rice TE, we were able to wait all the way to the 5th to get him,.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Willson will never be the blocker that Miller is, so Willson's career will depend on his ability to block just good enough to keep him on the field to make plays like last night.

I've been big on Willson and have had high hopes but my adopted rookies the last few years have disappointed. It's good to finally see him put together a great game.

12thManNorth

Reaction score
Don't forget he made what was the most important play of the year for us with that last minute TD to beat Carolina. The Seahawks don't score there and they woulda been 3-4 and on a 3 game losing streak. Literally saved our season

HawkWow

Reaction score
I've liked Willson since day 1. Largely because of his speed. Not counting on his blocking, I'd hoped we'd use him much the way we used Jurevicius. But then a funny thing happened, probably thanks to Zach, but last year he looked like he was progressing in every dept. His blocking was very good, if not excellent, considering his time with the team. FF to this year. It seemed like without the safety net of Zach Miller, his game suffered in huge fashion. Didn't even look like the same player and I can only assume the moment got too big for this #2 TE from Rice.

The Miller injury will likely prove to be the best thing to happen for Willson. Sink or swim. Last night he swam like an Olympian and likely gained a bit of swag. A bit of swag goes a long way when trying to find your place on this particular Hawk team, imo. There is no question he will be back next year and what was looking like a position of weakness suddenly looks like a position of strength. have to give huge props to the FO for that.

sutz

Reaction score
morgulon1":vd0o3920 said:
nice cleat to dudes face too. :D
You could make a case that that guy literally slammed Luke's foot with his face. :D

Smellyman

Reaction score
pretty funny/goofy guy too. His interview with Ventrella made me laugh.

Tony - you seemed to open up some seperation on that play. I didn't know you had that kind of speed.

Luke- You gotta know these things man.....

The look on his face was pretty funny. Seriously, the day he was drafted everybody knew about his off the chart pro day numbers knew he had speed. Tony should know these things.....

http://www.seahawks.com/videos-phot...ls-Recap/68278a01-6b8c-4f42-b16f-05205f907a5c

Mick063

Reaction score
He has great in line speed for a tight end (meaning that he is tough for a linebacker to keep up with), but his catch radius isn't that big. Russell has to hit him perfectly. But once he gets in open space, he can turn on the jets.

He isn't a bad blocker either. He whiffs once in awhile, but I have seen him make some great blocks on linebackers and even defensive ends.

Rat

Reaction score
He was one of those workout freaks who had almost zero production for a small school in a weak conference. I think he had something like 9 catches his entire time there.

He probably wouldn't have made it on most teams, but was very fortunate to land here. Not sure if I see him being Russ' #1 TE threat for the next decade, but he has a high ceiling, and looks like he'll be a contributor here.

capncrunch

Reaction score
Smellyman":1yhys67s said:
pretty funny/goofy guy too. His interview with Ventrella made me laugh.

Tony - you seemed to open up some seperation on that play. I didn't know you had that kind of speed.

Luke- You gotta know these things man.....

The look on his face was pretty funny. Seriously, the day he was drafted everybody knew about his off the chart pro day numbers knew he had speed. Tony should know these things.....

http://www.seahawks.com/videos-phot...ls-Recap/68278a01-6b8c-4f42-b16f-05205f907a5c

Yeah. I am kind of used to seeing our guys get caught from behind. So, it was more than awesome to see that speed pulling away from their safety. I wonder how many tight ends in the NFL could out run Luke straight down the field like that. Any?

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Rat":xe6botaz said:
He was one of those workout freaks who had almost zero production for a small school in a weak conference. I think he had something like 9 catches his entire time there.

He probably wouldn't have made it on most teams, but was very fortunate to land here. Not sure if I see him being Russ' #1 TE threat for the next decade, but he has a high ceiling, and looks like he'll be a contributor here.

4 years at Rice,78 catches, 9 TD, 986 total yards. Seahawks like speed, everything else is coach-able. Maybe that's why they took a chance on him. Like some mention I think him and Wilson have a better rep with each other now, before it always jump balls but trusting him more to catch it in stride.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Mick063":24ih7pjt said:
He has great in line speed for a tight end (meaning that he is tough for a linebacker to keep up with), but his catch radius isn't that big. Russell has to hit him perfectly. But once he gets in open space, he can turn on the jets.

He isn't a bad blocker either. He whiffs once in awhile, but I have seen him make some great blocks on linebackers and even defensive ends.

Yeah, I know the catches and TD's overshadow this, but he had some good blocks against the tards. I was really happy to see that. His catching radius probably will never approach that of Zack Miller, but maybe once he gets more comfortable, after having more reps, he can concentrate a bit more in that area.

Rat

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":2sfkyu49 said:
Rat":2sfkyu49 said:

4 years at Rice,78 catches, 9 TD, 986 total yards. Seahawks like speed, everything else is coach-able. Maybe that's why they took a chance on him. Like some mention I think him and Wilson have a better rep with each other now, before it always jump balls but trusting him more to catch it in stride.

Not sure why I had 9 catches in my mind. Was that his senior year, or am I thinking of someone else?

Smellyman

Reaction score
Rat":3i9xse2e said:
theincrediblesok":3i9xse2e said:
Rat":3i9xse2e said:

Not sure why I had 9 catches in my mind. Was that his senior year, or am I thinking of someone else?

I think it was 9 his senior too. He was also hurt for most of it

kpak76

Reaction score
Things are definitely looking up for him. However I really want to see him make more contested catches. He's a lethal stretch the field kind of guy, but hes very below average in the red zone. Which unfortunately makes him a one trick pony since as others have pointed out, hes limited in blocking as well. Still developing, but games like last night lengthens that leash just a bit more.