Lynch’s last great accomplishment:letting Hawks know NOW

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/nfl/seattle-seahawks/seahawks-insider-blog/article59200218.html

This is the best-case scenario for Seahawks general manager John Schneider, coach Pete Carroll plus their scouting and player-personnel staffs. They had hoped Lynch would let them know of his plans before the combine, so the team knew prior to the league’s shopping market opening for this offseason how urgent its need was to add a running back behind heir Thomas Rawls for the 2016 season and beyond.

Now they know. The Seahawks also know they will be saving $6.5 million against their salary cap for 2016 with Lynch retiring. They can now budget ways to use that money a whole lot sooner than they thought they’d be able to.

The Seahawks are almost sure to let Fred Jackson go away; Lynch’s buddy from Buffalo and veteran running back turns 35 this month and becomes a free agent next month. Carroll said on Jan. 18 the team would like to bring back Christine Michael, their former second-round draft choice. Michael is a restricted free agent and impressed late this past season in his second go-round with Seattle.

But now that they know Lynch won’t be back the Seahawks can aggressively pursue veteran and prospect tailbacks to compete with or become a better option than Michael as Rawls’ backup. This past season, when Lynch played in just seven regular-season games to suddenly and precipitously fall off the NFL’s elite shelf, was a reminder of how important having two backs capable of leading Carroll’s running game is.

Read more here: http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/nf ... rylink=cpy

sutz

Reaction score
Yeah, that's a pretty big thing. Helps a lot in the planning, at least allowing more time to do it.

Marsh maybe had some bad moments, but he's been pretty classy overall. This was a classy move IMHO.

:th2thumbs:

Popeyejones

Reaction score
This is really great point.

Not that the 9ers would have been anything but hot garbage anyway, but Anthony Davis "retiring" for a year after the draft and FA just really the final knife wound of an offseason filled with them.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Um....no.

Lynch was already gone. It's not like the Hawks were sitting around wondering what to do with him.

If Lynch didn't retire he was going to be released. The Hawks already knew he wasn't going to be on the team in 2016.

"Letting them know" is not only NOT a great accomplishment, it can't even be described as an accomplishment. He retired before he was going to be cut.

There's plenty of threads about Lynch involving actual things....

GeekHawk

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":14mfhfpv said:
Um....no.

Lynch was already gone. It's not like the Hawks were sitting around wondering what to do with him.

If Lynch didn't retire he was going to be released. The Hawks already knew he wasn't going to be on the team in 2016.

"Letting them know" is not only NOT a great accomplishment, it can't even be described as an accomplishment. He retired before he was going to be cut.

This post brought nothing of value. It was a turd in the punch bowl of intelligent conversation. A greasy fart in the elevator of thoughtful posts. It's the WalMart of posts on this board.

SeaToTheHawks

Reaction score
GeekHawk":3emt8ry7 said:
bjornanderson21":3emt8ry7 said:
Um....no.

This post brought nothing of value. It was a turd in the punch bowl of intelligent conversation. A greasy fart in the elevator of thoughtful posts. It's the WalMart of posts on this board.

Disagree. It's honest. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's a bad post.

It is classy by Lynch to retire now, but what Bjorn said is also 100% true.

sutz

Reaction score
Lynch did the team a solid by announcing early. He also engaged in a bit of self-promotion by announcing during the Super Bowl. Life is good.

SeaToTheHawks

Reaction score
GeekHawk":3so63d00 said:
BJ21 is a Viqueens fan / troll.

Maybe so. But it still doesn't make the post false.

The Seahawks were absolutely going to part ways, this just sped up the process and allowed him to go out on his own terms, which I think is awesome.

shawnsim

Reaction score
Marshawn may be many things but, above all other things; he is loyal.

I respect that a lot.

Armchair Bronco

Reaction score
Is there ANY chance that Lynch might change his mind and "un-retire" only to play a final season with the Raiders?

I always imagined him returning to his roots and finishing out his career within shouting distance of the HQ for his charitable work in the Bay Area.

Stranger things have happened.

sutz

Reaction score
Armchair Bronco":3bpp7ily said:
Is there ANY chance that Lynch might change his mind and "un-retire" only to play a final season with the Raiders?

I always imagined him returning to his roots and finishing out his career within shouting distance of the HQ for his charitable work in the Bay Area.

Seems unlikely. The Seahawks will probably put him on their retired list and retain his rights for the next two years. The Raiders would have to compensate the Seahawks for him to do that.

shawnsim

Reaction score
Armchair Bronco":lzt9o11p said:

I wouldn't be surprised at all by that. His loyalty to Oakland is profound and commendable.

I think I would respect him even more if he did.

Armchair Bronco

Reaction score
shawnsim":2oucus0f said:
Armchair Bronco":2oucus0f said:

I wouldn't be surprised at all by that. His loyalty to Oakland is profound and commendable.

The Raiders might be willing to compensate the Hawks. Didn't they give up something to Cincy for Carson Palmer after he "retired"? Lynch would command less than a starting QB, so the price wouldn't be too steep. And the Hawks would probably give Lynch a hometown discount.

sutz

Reaction score
Armchair Bronco":1376fngi said:
shawnsim":1376fngi said:
Armchair Bronco":1376fngi said:

The Raiders might be willing to compensate the Hawks. Didn't they give up something to Cincy for Carson Palmer after he "retired"? Lynch would command less than a starting QB, so the price wouldn't be too steep. And the Hawks would probably give Lynch a hometown discount.
I won't say it can't happen. But I doubt it. If you saw his tweet, it looks like he wants out of football. Maybe that will change in a few months, but he's been known to stick to his word in the past.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
SeaToTheHawks":2nnizaeq said:
[Disagree. It's honest. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's a bad post.

100% "true?"

No. This is a matter of perspective. The accomplishment can be viewed as follows. Task: Front office wanted an answer prior to the combine, while giving Lynch the respect he deserves. ACCOMPLISHMENT: Lynch gives his answer well-prior to the combine...15 days, give or take. Lynch broke with his usual waiting game, which is a personal achievement in its own regard. He could have left the FO waiting and guessing until the final hour, in typical Lynch fashion, but he did not.
Accomplishment?... Yup!
Great accomplishment?... Matter of perspective.

SixSeahawk

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":336ws44u said:
Um....no.

You really don't like Marshawn Lynch do you? LMAO.

Seafan

Reaction score
Something I haven't seen here but defintely worth thinking about, Lynch will owe the Hawks part of his signing bonus. Hopefully the Hawks have already put him on the retirement list so he can't reconsider. This should help the salary cap situation a little. If the Hawks had cut or traded him they would have taken a hit. Cutting him after June 1st would have spread it out.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
SeaToTheHawks":1vdijc4p said:
GeekHawk":1vdijc4p said:
bjornanderson21":1vdijc4p said:
Um....no.

Disagree. It's honest. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's a bad post.

Correct. Marshawn was going to be released but it was totally class that he did it himself at the most advantageous time for the Seahawks.