Lynch asks for release

HawkGA

Reaction score
I do think people are way over-estimating what they could realistically get for Lynch. I think they should be able to get something for him if there really is something there, but I would think a 7th, maybe conditional to move up to a 5th or 6th depending on performance/playing time.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Jerhawk said:
Seattle holds the cards in this. /quote]

A week ago they did, but they don't anymore, which is why this is happening now, IMO.

After signing Lacy they don't have the cap room or the position need to take Lynch back even if he applied for reinstatement.

Assuming this is going to happen, at this point it really just comes down to sequencing.

Do the Seahawks grant his release before he applies for reinstatement, or does he apply for reinstatement and they have no choice but to then grant his release?

My guess is they're trying to get some tokenistic compensation from the Raiders before he applies for reinstatement and their hand gets forced to cut him.

Foghawk

Reaction score
P&J just need to play their card until either they get something or are forced to fold, simple as that.

Rocket

Reaction score
If you read the article instead of the headline, it quotes Schefter of ESPN, which it links.
BUT, the linked article doesn't say Lynch did anything other than open a BeastMode store in Oakland, conveniently ignoring the fact that he lives there.

Classic MSN.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Give us a mid round draft pick and get it done. Win win for everyone.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":31jbhge1 said:
ringless":31jbhge1 said:
^^
I was just about to say this. Lynch holds all the cards, and I don't think a team would part a 3rd pick for a RB that age, who started to struggle with injuries, and is a year removed from playing. Fans typically overestimate trade value

Well he doesn't hold all the cards, we can say "sure you can come back, but you're coming back and playing for us."

I'm fine with just releasing him, let him go play for Oakland. Or have them trade us a 4th or 5th rounder, no need to make this a toxic situation.
That's kind of where I stand. I love the guy, I'd have no problem as long as the relationship with the Hawks is still good.
They'd be lucky to get a 7th IMHO.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Popeyejones":27j3r8ur said:
Jerhawk":27j3r8ur said:
Seattle holds the cards in this. /quote]

A week ago they did, but they don't anymore, which is why this is happening now, IMO.

After signing Lacy they don't have the cap room or the position need to take Lynch back even if he applied for reinstatement.

Assuming this is going to happen, at this point it really just comes down to sequencing.

Do the Seahawks grant his release before he applies for reinstatement, or does he apply for reinstatement and they have no choice but to then grant his release?

My guess is they're trying to get some tokenistic compensation from the Raiders before he applies for reinstatement and their hand gets forced to cut him.
Your last sentence is probably spot on.

fridayfrenzy

Reaction score
For this to work out for Lynch it basically means the Seattle FO has to be willing to hand over millions of free money to Lynch by not requesting he pay back his signing bonus. When he retired they let him keep the entire signing bonus as a sign of good faith and thanks.

Now Marshawn is coming back and saying, not only did I retire on you but I also want to go play for another team AND still keep my entire signing bonus.

If Seattle wants to recoup that signing bonus money it basically means Marshawn would be playing for free this year with the Raiders (i.e. pay back Seahawks for portion of signing bonus and then make $3-5 million with Raiders).

hawkfan68

Reaction score

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3kbr0ai5 said:
IMO it would just be spiteful and petty for the Hawks to try to demand something for him -- he literally has no value for them and if he comes out of retirement they'd just have to cut him anyway.

Really? Seattle let him keep his bonus when he retired. That was pretty generous and a thank you gift for his time served. Why is it petty for Seattle to expect Lynch to hold up his end of the deal. Stay retired.

Players could just retire and unretire to get out of their contracts if this was ok.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":13a8kfxi said:
Popeyejones":13a8kfxi said:
IMO it would just be spiteful and petty for the Hawks to try to demand something for him -- he literally has no value for them and if he comes out of retirement they'd just have to cut him anyway.

Really? Seattle let him keep his bonus when he retired. That was pretty generous and a thank you gift for his time served. Why is it petty for Seattle to expect Lynch to hold up his end of the deal. Stay retired.

Players could just retire and unretire to get of their contracts if this was ok.

Yep, Seattle treated him really well and let him keep $5,000,000 they didnt have to, they ate that dead cap money last year after he retired.

They also gave him that extension when they didn't have too.

The Seahawks have gone above and beyond. Now they should just let him out of his contract to sign with another team, with zero compensation? C'mon man.

HawkGA

Reaction score

DJrmb

Reaction score
Mojambo":xoaf8o9r said:
If they don't grant it they are on the hook for 9 million dollars this season.

Seattle can't afford that. He WILL be released if he decides to play.

You're incorrect.

Seattle has plenty of money to pay Lynch 9M if push comes to shove. Would it suck? Yep but there's plenty of room to do it.

If I'm Seattle I am getting something from this no matter what. He's already been given everything he ever asked for and treated like royalty, even to the point of allowing him to keep guaranteed money that Seattle had every right to reclaim and give to the players still on the team.

This isn't really about Seattle vs Lynch though in my opinion. It's more about Seattle vs Oakland. Who does Oakland think they are that we need to give them something for nothing? Is it really that huge of a deal to throw a late round pick Seattle's way for the rights to Lynch? It's not as if Lynch wouldn't rework his contract to fit whatever they want to pay him. If they want to be stingy though Lynch can come out of retirement and play for the Seahawks so that when he goes to Oakland next year we get a Comp pick. Or he can be shipped off to Clevland, Jacksonville, or any team with a 7th round pick and some cap room.

Hyak

Reaction score
The OP and link from MSN uses Jordan Schultz (yes that guy) as the source for Lynch requesting his release. Lynch may or may not be interested in playing for Oakland but Schultz makes stuff up.

In the last week, he's been caught in various lies in his "reporting".

LolaRox

Reaction score
Mojambo":2k056frj said:
If they don't grant it they are on the hook for 9 million dollars this season.

Seattle can't afford that. He WILL be released if he decides to play.

How long could the Hawks hold onto him before it would impact them financially? Is the $9 million fully guaranteed the day he is reinstated?

If not, if the Seahawks wanted to get something in return, couldn't they just shop him in a trade with another team? Raiders would have to give up something to ensure they get him or risk losing him to another team (or wait for his release). I'm not saying they would or even that they should but their leverage is the Lynch wants to come back and play for the Raiders and not some other team.

It might be considered shady or whatever but this is a business and the Seahawks have been more than accommodating and fair to Lynch.

J&P accommodated him while on the team, let him keep his bonus and now are just supposed to let him go play for the Raiders for nothing after he retired. I wouldn't fault them if they went after something in return (I know it doesn't mean they'll get it).

hawkfan68

Reaction score
HawkGA":1m25cd5r said:
hawkfan68":1m25cd5r said:
If the Raiders are in talks with Lynch without the Seahawks permission, that's a violation. They are tampering. The Seahawks have some good leverage here based on this article, if true.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-that-greg-papa-blabbed-about-marshawn-lynch/

Seahawks would be dumb to release Lynch. They can get something back for him. If they release him they will get nothing.

That's the best thing I've read in a while!

haha...I didn't see Jville's post until after I had posted. I saw the article and thread and posted without reading it first. Then someone posted immediately after so I couldn't delete the post. Jville posted first, so good find Jville!

knownone

Reaction score
fridayfrenzy":3nsotjyl said:
For this to work out for Lynch it basically means the Seattle FO has to be willing to hand over millions of free money to Lynch by not requesting he pay back his signing bonus. When he retired they let him keep the entire signing bonus as a sign of good faith and thanks.

Now Marshawn is coming back and saying, not only did I retire on you but I also want to go play for another team AND still keep my entire signing bonus.

If Seattle wants to recoup that signing bonus money it basically means Marshawn would be playing for free this year with the Raiders (i.e. pay back Seahawks for portion of signing bonus and then make $3-5 million with Raiders).
100% this - Seattle holds all the cards unless they want to do Marshawn a serious favor. Now if Marshawn said he'd play for Seattle then you run into issues, but I doubt the financials would impact Seattle that much as the 9 million reported should only be about 4 million on the Hawks books which is manageable for Seattle to bluff they are willing to keep him unless compensated.

Seymour

Reaction score
We payed bonus money out and let him keep it when we didn't have to. Now asking to keep that money AND let him walk to another team free of charge is asking more then anyone should expect IMO. If they let him walk, they should at least get that $$ back IMO. I believe we can add that to our cap, but not 100% on that??