Lynch - Get on my back

kidhawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":yz3qasd4 said:
kidhawk":yz3qasd4 said:
theENGLISHseahawk":yz3qasd4 said:
kidhawk":yz3qasd4 said:
Were you saying this when he was on the verge of free agency a few years ago?

No... because he was a free agent. Now he's an under contract player seemingly holding the team by the nuts.

At this point in time, this is purely conjecture on your part. There is absolutely zero evidence that this is true. Could it turn out to be true? Yea, but it could just as easily turn out to be a load of bull. The fact that fans are bitching and moaning that he hasn't signed yet, when there is no reason for him to have signed yet, is pure selfishness on the part of the fans. If the team's deadline goes by without Lynch telling the team what he wants to do and the team changes course, then we can bitch about it if we want, but until then, none of us knows what is going on behind the scenes. For all we know, he could have already told the team that he either plans on signing the deal, plans on retiring or wants to continue negotiations to get more money. We really have no idea at this point. It's complete speculation and conjecture on the part of fans and media right now

What exactly is conjecture?

He's threatening to retire because he wants more money. Despite the fact he's under contract, Seattle is offering more money to keep him happy. How is it conjecture to say he has the team by the nuts? It's a fact.

He's not a free agent and he signed his contract in Seattle. He hasn't stopped complaining about that contract ever since. Anyone would think we put a gun to his head. I love the way the guy play's but I'm tired of the annual drama involving Marshawn Lynch. Either sign and get on with it or let's move on. Nobody's more important than the team.

Conjecture - form an opinion or supposition about (something) on the basis of incomplete information

You nor I have no idea what is going on behind the scenes. Everything being discussed about Lynch is conjecture, because nobody knows what he has or hasn't told the front office about his returning next year. You are being impatient because he hasn't officially signed, but as far as you know, he could already have a date to sign scheduled with the front office. It's not like they are going to announce anything right now.

Heck, it wouldn't be unsurprising for Pete and John to not announce anything even after he signs, until after the draft to keep everyone guessing

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
"Nobody is more important than the team"

Maybe.

But since he is likely the most important to the SUCCESS of the team, I think we have to deal with whatever he requires.

The truth of the matter is the the Wilson Brand and the Lynch Brand clash. And they compete for space. This IS also an entertainment business and there are stakeholders on both sides that have a vested interest in the showcasing of their guy.

Wilson won a SuperBowl as a young QB, but he received nowhere near the marketing opportunities or visibility that he should have. Not sure who is at fault there but that is the truth.

Lynch, on the other hand, had his brand plastered everywhere. Kind of like Sherman was really. The difference is that for some reason everyfan seems to love and respect the guy, even with the media hatred (maybe because of it?). Whether it bothers Wilson is immaterial, Lynch is clearly getting the limelight and in fact getting credit for being the guy who "Would have won it all for the Seahawks but didn't because they gave it to the other guy". It is almost a truism that Lynch got "cheated" out of his win because they decided to throw it. That has to bother people on Wilson's team who are tasked with getting him in the spotlight and getting him marketing opportunities.

Wilson does everything right, at least that we know of, and while he is respected & applauded he isn't really beloved by non-Seahawk fans like Lynch. Lynch seems to do everything wrong and yet his name & brand just keep building. Even "I am just here so I don't get fined" turns into a monetizable tagline with that guy.

On the other hand, it is clear to some people on the Lynch team that some members of the Seahawks would prefer to make the face of the franchise Russell Wilson. That was alluded to by Mike Rob, looks to have impacted the playcalling (whether real or conjecture does not matter), and only is getting magnified as time goes on.

Lynch is the face of this franchise right now to the average non-Seahawk fan. And they love the guy.

At some point this FO needs to find a way to let the competing brands share the stage. The Yin/Yang of these guys is actually a cool hook, but nothing Lynch says doesn't make sense. His camp believe the Seahawks want to elevate Wilson to the face of the franchise, and he is right. At the same time, Lynch has carried this team and his people likely believe HE EARNED the right to be the face of this franchise.

And every leak from each side makes it clear both sides want that center stage to themselves, even if the actual players might not be so bothered by it.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
kidhawk":1ixy4hmc said:
Conjecture - form an opinion or supposition about (something) on the basis of incomplete information

You nor I have no idea what is going on behind the scenes. Everything being discussed about Lynch is conjecture, because nobody knows what he has or hasn't told the front office about his returning next year. You are being impatient because he hasn't officially signed, but as far as you know, he could already have a date to sign scheduled with the front office. It's not like they are going to announce anything right now.

Heck, it wouldn't be unsurprising for Pete and John to not announce anything even after he signs, until after the draft to keep everyone guessing

So when his agent Tweeted out the other day saying "no deal" -- he was lying just so the Seahawks can keep a big old secret until after the draft?

Not for me.

And I'm not impatient. I'm tired of a player holding this team to ransom for his own needs, when HE signed the million-dollar contract and hasn't stopped complaining about it since.

kidhawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":xatctgio said:
kidhawk":xatctgio said:

So when his agent Tweeted out the other day saying "no deal" -- he was lying just so the Seahawks can keep a big old secret until after the draft?

Not for me.

And I'm not impatient. I'm tired of a player holding this team to ransom for his own needs, when HE signed the million-dollar contract and hasn't stopped complaining about it since.

It's not a lie....if the paper isn't signed then there is no deal. You still don't know what's going on behind the scenes, you and the rest of the people bitching to get Lynch to sign are just looking for a reason to complain.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Right... I'm just looking for a reason to complain. Good one.

Just like his agent was actually just being really pedantic with his tweet.

Listen -- I get why some fans can't bare for anyone to criticize Lynch. Maybe you can learn to accept that some of us aren't crazy about a player holding his team to ransom with threats of retirement because he wants even more money -- years after signing a big extension that he's never stopped "bitching" (seeing as that's the preferred term) about.

kidhawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":102zypg2 said:
Right... I'm just looking for a reason to complain. Good one.

Just like his agent was actually just being really pedantic with his tweet.

Listen -- I get why some fans can't bare for anyone to criticize Lynch. Maybe you can learn to accept that some of us aren't crazy about a player holding his team to ransom with threats of retirement because he wants even more money -- years after signing a big extension that he's never stopped "bitching" (seeing as that's the preferred term) about.

It's fine to criticize someone for what they've done, but what some people aren't grasping is that they are bitching about something that hasn't even happened yet.

Do you have any facts saying that Lynch has bypassed any deadline by the front office? Do you have any evidence that he's not planning to sign his deal before Free Agency? Or are you just speculating and complaining based on what you THINK he might do?

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
You're focusing solely on the "get on with it" portion of the discussion and not the reason for stating it.

The actual 'complaint' here is with a player who signed a handsome contract, proceeded to complain about it every year after and has spent considerable time threatening to retire in order to get more money out of the team. None of this is disputable. It's a well known fact that he's threatened to retire, wants more money and has held out the last two off-seasons. So either sign the deal or let's move on. That's the point. I still want him to sign.

netskier

Reaction score
What ransom? What demand for how much money or else he will do what?

Where is the link to the ransom note? I doubt that a ransom note exists.

AVL

Reaction score
I am sorry Lynch didn't once again get an opportunity to fumble in a playoff game at the goal line. Of course the previous fumbles weren't the last possession of the game, so they are much easier to forget or overlook than our last turnover.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
netskier":2ii7daez said:

"Pay me more money or I retire."

kidhawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3n0g8w6w said:
You're focusing solely on the "get on with it" portion of the discussion and not the reason for stating it.

The actual 'complaint' here is with a player who signed a handsome contract, proceeded to complain about it every year after and has spent considerable time threatening to retire in order to get more money out of the team. None of this is disputable. It's a well known fact that he's threatened to retire, wants more money and has held out the last two off-seasons. So either sign the deal or let's move on. That's the point. I still want him to sign.

It is actually quite disputable. There has never been a report of him once saying more money or I'll retire. He said early in the previous season that he might retire. Not that he might retire if he wasn't paid. He then held out of training camp and again didn't threaten to retire. This year the front office made him an offer. Reports are that he is considering retirement. No reports saying he only plays for more than they are offering. He still hasn't past any rumored deadline yet people are bitching. How about we let the man have a little off season and get back to the front office in the time he was allotted? Or does it make people feel better to have something...anything to talk about?

RiverDog

Reaction score
nwHawk":x2x8dkii said:
I have to wonder if Lynch is drawing attention to himself about "the play" in order to keep the tension focused. That way speculation does not tear this team apart. He knows he can handle it, and I believe the team knows he'll shed the spotlight like a would be tackler when the time comes.

I thought about that possibility, too. Lynch may not believe in the conspiracy theory anymore than any of the rest of us. He might be trying to stir up just a little bit of chit to enhance his image as a rebel without a cause as a conscious effort to enhance his line of products by remaining controversial. It's the off season, and he can't step up to the podium and say "I'm just here so I won't get fined."

Or it could just be sour grapes from a great running back that like all great players, want the ball in their hands when the game is on the line, and you can't blame him for that. I wanted him to get the ball, too. That's all I hope this means. But it's now been a month, and time for him to get over it if that's the motivation behind his remarks.

But the most disturbing possibility is that Lynch's remarks indicate that he's still very suspicious of Pete's motivation and that management wanted Russell Wilson to be the MVP and the star of the show. It would lend credence to the rumors we heard back in October that Lynch almost didn't board the bus when he found out about the Harvin trade and that some players are grumbling that Russell Wilson isn't black enough and that he's too close to management.

I sure hope that last scenario is not true, but we would be foolish to stick our heads in the sand and say it ain't so without at least acknowledging that it is a possibility.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
netskier":dgsbla3a said:

I wouldn't go this far, but Lynch and his agent definitely know they have the leverage now...........which is why he's taking his own sweet time in deciding to accept the Hawk's offer.

I'm fine with that, until the draft. If Lynch drags this out into the early summer and disrupts our draft, then I will have a problem.

kidhawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1j7z2g4g said:
Woooosh.

Missed the point again.

How can an invalid point be missed. There is no point because Lynch hasn't missed any deadline, real or imagined. This is just fans finding SOMETHING to bitch about. There really is no valid point being made by a single person who is complaining that he hasn't signed yet. You nor anyone else.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3ulle6j1 said:
Wilson won a SuperBowl as a young QB, but he received nowhere near the marketing opportunities or visibility that he should have. Not sure who is at fault there but that is the truth.
I think it was Forbes that put Wilson at 3 or 4 in most money made off the field. He's making around 7 million in off field endorsements.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
kidhawk":w99twvxq said:
theENGLISHseahawk":w99twvxq said:
Woooosh.

Missed the point again.

How can an invalid point be missed. There is no point because Lynch hasn't missed any deadline, real or imagined. This is just fans finding SOMETHING to bitch about. There really is no valid point being made by a single person who is complaining that he hasn't signed yet. You nor anyone else.

There you go again, missing the point.

Round and round we go.

kidhawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1lbaecj3 said:
kidhawk":1lbaecj3 said:
theENGLISHseahawk":1lbaecj3 said:
Woooosh.

Missed the point again.

There you go again, missing the point.

Round and round we go.

you have yet to make a valid point. The only reason you think of this as some sort of merry go round, is because you falsely believe that there is some point to calling out Lynch for something that is purely conjecture on the part of the media and the fans.

If you have a valid point, it would be interesting to hear it, but I've yet to see one from anyone on the issue.

kidhawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":ehyqvdbx said:
I'll save the debate for someone not drowning in their own arrogance.

It's only a debate if you make a valid point.

So far, there has not been one because Lynch has not even bypassed any rumored or factual date to make a decision.

By the way, the fact that you won't even point out a single point you consider valid doesn't make me the arrogant one. I'm sitting here waiting for you to point one out. That is how discussion happens. When you have one, feel free to post it and we can go from there. I'm more than happy to be proven wrong (actually I'd rather not be, because I like Lynch on this team but that's not the point here). So, let's have it. Give me your best and most valid points as to how Lynch is holding the team hostage. And let's use some factual evidence and not just conjecture. Thanks