Lynch's second TD ball

Polaris

Reaction score
The Radish":2xazuctl said:
I apologize,,,I'm just not one of these "hindsight" guys. But making blanket statements like that after the fact always bugs me.

What if he did that at the one. Next play someone fumbles and the Saints return it for a touch down? Then they get it with about the same time on the clock.

I'd rather take the score and depend on my defense that has been saving my ass all game.

Also I can't find fault with Tate advancing on the ball. The thinking is we are the only ones that can touch the ball. As it was he was on his back trying to make a catch he makes on his feet.

Lynch kneeling at the one and taking four kneels in our situation gives far and away the highest chance of victory. Far and away.

jblaze

Reaction score
Polaris":ffykel9v said:
Honestly I wish Lynch had taken a knee in bounds on the one yard line and not scored the TD.

He does this and the the game is over with no last minute heroics.

He thought about it. If you watch it again, he almost thinks about going into the defender coming at him and trying to stay in bounds and going down. I know I was screaming for him to stay in bounds but you don't turn down points in that situation though given our red zone problems imo.

He hesitated though. I'm sure they talked about that.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
You score when your able to..It's not like they just let him run in there..When Beastmode is on it doesn't take a knee ,it stiff arms and plows ahead in all of it's smash mouth glory! :49ersmall:

Polaris

Reaction score
IndyHawk":rbr6ajpq said:
You score when your able to..It's not like they just let him run in there..When Beastmode is on it doesn't take a knee ,it stiff arms and plows ahead in all of it's smash mouth glory! :49ersmall:

Normally I would agree, but there are times when it's better not to score (or for a defense to allow a quick score). I note in the 2008 college football season, Texas Tech allowed Texas to score a quick TD late in the 4th Qtr (watch the tape and you'll see it) precisely to allow them just enough time to come back and score the winning TD.

Likewise there are cases when not scoring allows you to end the game in your favor absolutely. In such cases, you should "not score". This was such a case.

They are rare but they do happen.

kf3339

Reaction score
The issue is why did our defense let them march down the field for their second TD in so little time when they had them smothered the whole game till that point. I put this on them for not playing to the final whistle which led to the onside punt. They play there normal dominant and aggressive defense and the Saints don't score their second TD of the game.

That should be the learning lesson, just like what the D did last year against Atlanta in the playoffs. I hope they know it this time.