Malik McDowell Waived (Plus other moves)

Seymour

Reaction score
Nope, cannot predict that exact scenario. But you can predict morons will do stupid things.

Schnieder at least admitted they changed their draft process after learning from this mistake. That is the only good outcome IMO.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
No doubt, sounds like he did have some red flags. Sometimes you swing and miss. There are a lot of teams who took major chances on guys with red flags, and it works out. Not this time.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
toffee":r39au16m said:
If his health or injury couldn't heal in two years, quite sure he won't bounce back as a football player. I really would like to satisfy my curiosity: What went wrong in that accident?????

He flipped over an ATV and landed on his face causing facial fractures, concussion and serious brain and eye injury.

Not sure what else you need to know. The NFL isn't going to mess around with this serious of a head/brain injury...........no matter how much time goes by.

If McDowell can find a bunch of stupid doctors to clear him to play football again, then he might get another shot. But what Dr. in his right mind would want that liability?

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Knew it was coming, but still hurts. Had the potential to be really good (also really bad), but not being able to ever find out sucks.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
Blitzer88":2fmohn87 said:
And now dion Jordan on the pup list.............fantastic!

Yeah, he and Dickson can come off pup at anytime, so not time to throw yourself off a cliff yet, lol. Just giving you crap, but not time to worry yet. I still think they will bring in a mid tier pass rusher somehow before the season.

Edit: I think they said on tv Jordan should be back in a couple weeks, and Dickson is a minor groin pull, shouldn't be long.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
We absolutely need to go after the signing bonus. We gain cap back in doing so. Seahawks owe him nothing, he should pay it back.

Dude is an absolute moron. The police video was the final nail in the coffin.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2ozzymug said:
toffee":2ozzymug said:
http://sports.mynorthwest.com/442169/malik-mcdowell-draft-story-seahawks/

good read

Good perspective...............but it's only a positive IF guys like Carson, Hill and Thompson turn out to be good players. If not, then we traded down to select McDowell, missing out on a good playerAND the picks we gained stink.

I've seen enough from Carson already to know he can play well when healthy.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Season doesn't start for a month and a half, plenty can happen before then. It's gonna' be ok, no cliff jumping :lol:

rjdriver

Reaction score
I personally think McDowell cost us 2 second round picks. If he could have come in and contributed right away, I don't think we trade for Sheldon Richardson, which cost us our second this year as well.

I had a feeling from the JS "phone call" on draft day, that things weren't really right with this guy. It's too bad.

poly1274

Reaction score
They should go after his 3.19 million signing bonus.

But I'm still confused what was this guy's red flags, that people are talking about.

James in PA

Reaction score
Malik contributed to the Seahawks as much as Nate Odomes did back in the day. (There’s one for you youngsters to research).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
poly1274":3vcx0vku said:

But I'm still confused what was this guy's red flags, that people are talking about.

Lack of commitment (took plays off), immature, poor decision making, etc,,,. Think it was an NFL exec that said McDowell gave the worst interview he has ever been a part of. Lot of red tape with the guy.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":m5h9won8 said:
poly1274":m5h9won8 said:

Lack of commitment (took plays off), immature, poor decision making, etc,,,. Think it was an NFL exec that said McDowell gave the worst interview he has ever been a part of. Lot of red tape with the guy.

I’m glad they made the decision to change the way they look at potential draftees. Whatever that exactly means. Who was the genius that thought he would be a good pick? Especially after all the supposedly red flags and horrible interviews. Could it be that since Kris Richard was the DC, that maybe he pushed for him and that’s part of the reason he was let go?

chris98251

Reaction score
Expected, Bonus is gone and like many others won't be gone after. Kid is getting paid I am sure but I bet a lot of that money was already spend and the rest will be for medical bills the rest of his life. Plus I think his agent will be holding out his hand for what he can get.

getnasty

Reaction score
The NFL is full of dumbass players that are absolutely amazing, when a talent like Malik falls and he's at a position of need I'd take that chance all day long.

OpHawk

Reaction score
I have a theory on Mcdowell. This is purely speculation based on what little has or has not been reported about his incident.

I don't think he had an ATV accident that impaired his ability to play football.

There were zero details released on anything other than "ATV accident". That's all we were ever told. Nothing from the team nor his party.

In the few photos that were released months later he appears to have absolutely no signs of trauma to his head/face. Could be that he healed and damage was internal. But it's worth noting.

I don't remember the reporter (bob condotta?), but about a year ago one of the morning shows had a reporter on to discuss Mcdowell. He said he did some digging in his hometown and could not find a single record of this incident taking place. There was no police report, no hospital records, no hearsay. Not a single indicator of this ATV accident occurring.

Couple this with how incredibly tight-lipped the organization has been about it. Perhaps the Seahawks were never given full medical access to McDowell and in turn suspected the same. Or perhaps they were and discovered he was fine but he insisted otherwise. The situation would have been too embarrassing for the organization. Thus from our perspective the situation has unfolded as it has.

When you also consider his outstandingly poor interviews, his totally underwhelming phone call with John, along with his poor motor and taking plays off and college, It really adds up.

I flat out think he may have gotten paid huge money, didn't want to play football anymore, and weaseled his way out.

chris98251

Reaction score
OpHawk":4t65x39f said:
I have a theory on Mcdowell. This is purely speculation based on what little has or has not been reported about his incident.

I don't think he had an ATV accident that impaired his ability to play football.

There were zero details released on anything other than "ATV accident". That's all we were ever told. Nothing from the team nor his party.

In the few photos that were released months later he appears to have absolutely no signs of trauma to his head/face. Could be that he healed and damage was internal. But it's worth noting.

I don't remember the reporter (bob condotta?), but about a year ago one of the morning shows had a reporter on to discuss Mcdowell. He said he did some digging in his hometown and could not find a single record of this incident taking place. There was no police report, no hospital records, no hearsay. Not a single indicator of this ATV accident occurring.

Couple this with how incredibly tight-lipped the organization has been about it. Perhaps the Seahawks were never given full medical access to McDowell and in turn suspected the same. Or perhaps they were and discovered he was fine but he insisted otherwise. The situation would have been too embarrassing for the organization. Thus from our perspective the situation has unfolded as it has.

When you also consider his outstandingly poor interviews, his totally underwhelming phone call with John, along with his poor motor and taking plays off and college, It really adds up.

I flat out think he may have gotten paid huge money, didn't want to play football anymore, and weaseled his way out.

I think you are giving him a lot of credit for someone who has not shown to be that calculative and scheming based on his track record, more like dumb luck a payday and then a tragedy that he has some money from.