Malik McDowell Waived (Plus other moves)

OpHawk

Reaction score
chris98251":3hc2rdfo said:
OpHawk":3hc2rdfo said:
I have a theory on Mcdowell. This is purely speculation based on what little has or has not been reported about his incident.

I don't think he had an ATV accident that impaired his ability to play football.

There were zero details released on anything other than "ATV accident". That's all we were ever told. Nothing from the team nor his party.

In the few photos that were released months later he appears to have absolutely no signs of trauma to his head/face. Could be that he healed and damage was internal. But it's worth noting.

I don't remember the reporter (bob condotta?), but about a year ago one of the morning shows had a reporter on to discuss Mcdowell. He said he did some digging in his hometown and could not find a single record of this incident taking place. There was no police report, no hospital records, no hearsay. Not a single indicator of this ATV accident occurring.

Couple this with how incredibly tight-lipped the organization has been about it. Perhaps the Seahawks were never given full medical access to McDowell and in turn suspected the same. Or perhaps they were and discovered he was fine but he insisted otherwise. The situation would have been too embarrassing for the organization. Thus from our perspective the situation has unfolded as it has.

When you also consider his outstandingly poor interviews, his totally underwhelming phone call with John, along with his poor motor and taking plays off and college, It really adds up.

I flat out think he may have gotten paid huge money, didn't want to play football anymore, and weaseled his way out.

I think you are giving him a lot of credit for someone who has not shown to be that calculative and scheming based on his track record, more like dumb luck a payday and then a tragedy that he has some money from.

I’m not suggesting he’s a Bond villain mastermind. How calculating do you have to be to lie about an ATV accident?

“I crashed and my head isn’t right”

The money was already in his bank account and this supposedly went down a couple weeks before camp if I remember correctly. It would have the time to do it if he wanted out.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Gee, which OT could we have picked again?
What a waste.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3qohe8zj said:
toffee":3qohe8zj said:
If his health or injury couldn't heal in two years, quite sure he won't bounce back as a football player. I really would like to satisfy my curiosity: What went wrong in that accident?????

He flipped over an ATV and landed on his face causing facial fractures, concussion and serious brain and eye injury.

Not sure what else you need to know. The NFL isn't going to mess around with this serious of a head/brain injury...........no matter how much time goes by.

If McDowell can find a bunch of stupid doctors to clear him to play football again, then he might get another shot. But what Dr. in his right mind would want that liability?

Exactly 5 years ago he MIGHT have played. 10 years ago he would have played no doubt. Just think of the Kenny Hamlin situation because it happened in 2005 he was cleared to play if that same injury happened today? No team would clear him to play.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
toffee":3cxssai8 said:
If his health or injury couldn't heal in two years, quite sure he won't bounce back as a football player. I really would like to satisfy my curiosity: What went wrong in that accident?????

I have a full-face helmet in my garage that I've kept since 1989. It's shattered from top to bottom on the left side, and the face shield is scratched to hell. This was on my head at the time that I had an ATC accident (the old 3-wheel ATC-of-death machines) and serves as a reminder to me that even if wearing a helmet is not required by law, I should wear one anyway. I came out of that with just a broken arm.

I imagine that Malik's deal was similar, except for the part about wearing a helmet. If I hadn't had it on, I imagine that my injuries would have been about the same (if I lived through it at all).

brimsalabim

Reaction score
getnasty":2evxo0pn said:
The NFL is full of dumbass players that are absolutely amazing, when a talent like Malik falls and he's at a position of need I'd take that chance all day long.
A flyer once in a while when you can spare it is one thing but It isn't wise to make that the core of your strategy. Vegas is built on decisions like this.

Seymour

Reaction score
brimsalabim":3q4n49fv said:
getnasty":3q4n49fv said:
The NFL is full of dumbass players that are absolutely amazing, when a talent like Malik falls and he's at a position of need I'd take that chance all day long.
A flyer once in a while when you can spare it is one thing but It isn't wise to make that the core of your strategy. Vegas is built on decisions like this.

Giphy

2892862791 1316c2b45f

Rat

Reaction score
James in PA":136rwgrz said:
Malik contributed to the Seahawks as much as Nate Odomes did back in the day. (There’s one for you youngsters to research).

At least Odomes only cost money. We didn't use a second rounder on him, plus another second rounder for a one-year rental to replace him, or trade Ahman Green for him.

raisethe3

Reaction score
Wow, McDowell never even played a single snap. Better luck next time on the draft.

TwilightError

Reaction score
Well this was a waste of pick, talent, effort and attention.

Next.

Str8OuttaSkittles

Reaction score
poly1274":23epne8n said:
They should go after his 3.19 million signing bonus.

But I'm still confused what was this guy's red flags, that people are talking about.
talk of bad friends enviroment before the draft the kid had all the talent in the world but was seen as lazy take what you will but this was a big bust

jammerhawk

Reaction score
He’s back, well sort of, after clearing waivers after being waived injured. So there’s still a very slight possibility he could play at some time in the future, though I think he’s gone. Sad we never got to see him play a down. Suspect he was more talented than some here accept. Challenged as far as his noodle was regardless of bashing in his noggin.

mrblitz

Reaction score
Rat":ybf4j33n said:
At least Odomes only cost money. We didn't use a second rounder on him, plus another second rounder for a one-year rental to replace him, or trade Ahman Green for him.

who was that corner they got for green? can't remember the name, but he never played, right?

ah, 'fred vinson'... "In 2000, Green was traded along with a fifth round draft pick to the Green Bay Packers for Fred Vinson and a sixth round pick. " https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahman_Green

anyway, it is conceivable, as mentiond above. that mcdowell could have 'overstated an event' in order to weasel out of football. imagine sitting there with over 3 mil in the bank, and knowing that you don't really love the game of football... that is to say, he didn't love the game enough to play hard every down in college, so why not just take the money and make up an excuse?...

Latest posts