Marcus Trufant

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I was watching him on 5th Quarter with Paul Silvi after the SNF game and he looks like he is suffering some kind of potential brain disorder. I’ve seen him for years on TV and this is the first time I noticed he would pause in thought many times, he would blink excessively…I’m no Neurologist but doing a quick check of his injuries when he played with us, a lot we’re head related.

I sure hope I am reading way too much into it but something seems very off with him. Marcus is one of our treasured, home grown class act former players. I hope he is okay.

knownone

Reaction score
Is Marcus on TV often? He looks like he's struggling to remember his point, which is probably not uncommon if you are new. I've seen that expression when people give presentations without notes. They either get nervous when the light shines on them or underestimate how well they know the material.

Maybe that's optimistic. But I hope that's the case.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I thought the same thing. I fully admit I could be over analyzing this. He has not been on air for some time. He was filling in for Big Walt who was on vacation. I actually thought it was simply being a little rusty in front of the camera.

But…

There is something more here. I can’t put my finger on it. I don’t think it’s just rusty or jitters. He’s always been a natural in front of the camera. And to be fair, 75% of the time he still was sharp and his usual self.

Man I hope I am just being too sensitive. He’s probably just fine. I sure hope so. The Trufants are such class acts and a big part of the local community. He did say a few times he was bummed he just missed the Super Bowl squad by “this much” (putting his index finger and thumb close together).

Poor guy. He deserved to be on that squad but we could say the same about many greats.

Again, I just hope I am overreacting.

LastRideOut

Reaction score
My son is never playing football.
That's what I said too, but at some point there has to be some give. My son loves the sport. He lives and breathes football. I couldn't keep saying no, especially given that playing football promotes social emotional learning, communication skills, and team work.

He started playing football in MS and plays JV and Varsity now.

OpenPassage

Reaction score
Is Marcus on TV often? He looks like he's struggling to remember his point, which is probably not uncommon if you are new. I've seen that expression when people give presentations without notes. They either get nervous when the light shines on them or underestimate how well they know the material.

Maybe that's optimistic. But I hope that's the case.

He does have a show don't know if it's on video though

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
That's what I said too, but at some point there has to be some give. My son loves the sport. He lives and breathes football. I couldn't keep saying no, especially given that playing football promotes social emotional learning, communication skills, and team work.

He started playing football in MS and plays JV and Varsity now.
Dawg, believe me. I think about it EVERY TIME I go outside to throw the football with him. He's already begging me to play next year and the reality is I will let him. I just see some of the hits every Sunday and think about how much of a beating the brain takes every game. It's not cool. It's like being in multiple car wrecks. REPEATEDLY. As much as it pains me, I'm steering him towards baseball/basketball/soccer.

chris98251

Reaction score
Teaching proper technique in tackling and blocking as well as how to take a hit and not lead with your head is the key, I see almost no coaches teach that at a Junior level, by the time they reach High school they are already playing with bad habits that are almost impossible to break.

projectorfreak

Reaction score
Me and another kid were always put against each other for the fun of the coaches during practice just to see who was the hardest hitter in grade school and looking back at how crappy they were as coaches was 1 reason we sucked but also almost didn't have enough kids to field a team, but our defensive coach probably could've punted for an nfl team he was that good but as teachers they were terrible

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
Oh I'm sorry are we not allowed to share opinions here?
You are absolutely allowed to share opinions...just as I am. As an FYI, that was a fairly benign response to what some others will give you. A bit a-holish...I admit...but not unwarranted.

Can you explain why you think it is CTE? Do you have a medical background, and even more important, a medical background working specifically on CTE that would give creedence to your opinion based on seeing a <10 second clip and some thoughts from other posters?

Notice the other posters were speculative, not judgemental.

Welcome!

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
I thought the same thing. I fully admit I could be over analyzing this. He has not been on air for some time. He was filling in for Big Walt who was on vacation. I actually thought it was simply being a little rusty in front of the camera.

But…

There is something more here. I can’t put my finger on it. I don’t think it’s just rusty or jitters. He’s always been a natural in front of the camera. And to be fair, 75% of the time he still was sharp and his usual self.

Man I hope I am just being too sensitive. He’s probably just fine. I sure hope so. The Trufants are such class acts and a big part of the local community. He did say a few times he was bummed he just missed the Super Bowl squad by “this much” (putting his index finger and thumb close together).

Poor guy. He deserved to be on that squad but we could say the same about many greats.

Again, I just hope I am overreacting.
Agreed...I loved Marcus and the family has somewhat local hero status. A true gentleman, always polite and really the only credible player at times in our secondary.

Praying it is jitters or something benign. So many tragic stories...I hope he doesn't become one of them.

OpenPassage

Reaction score
You are absolutely allowed to share opinions...just as I am. As an FYI, that was a fairly benign response to what some others will give you. A bit a-holish...I admit...but not unwarranted.

Can you explain why you think it is CTE? Do you have a medical background, and even more important, a medical background working specifically on CTE that would give creedence to your opinion based on seeing a <10 second clip and some thoughts from other posters?

Notice the other posters were speculative, not judgemental.

Welcome!

You could have led with the can you explain bit rather than the ahole bit. might come off a little more welcoming

My comment wasn't judgemental I said that's what it looks like TO ME

Both my dad and my uncle had CTE from decades of amateur/pro boxing as well as playing football thru college. They both had that exact same type of pause tick along with other symptoms as they got older. They got tested for all types of neurologic disorders but came up empty. My uncle died about 6 years ago (suicide) and my aunt had his brain examined for CTE and came back positive so we did the same thing when my dad died. Sure enough he was positive for CTE as well

So my opinion is one from experience but not scientific. Doesn't mean my opinion is invalid though

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
You could have led with the can you explain bit rather than the ahole bit. might come off a little more welcoming

My comment wasn't judgemental I said that's what it looks like TO ME

Both my dad and my uncle had CTE from decades of amateur/pro boxing as well as playing football thru college. They both had that exact same type of pause tick along with other symptoms as they got older. They got tested for all types of neurologic disorders but came up empty. My uncle died about 6 years ago (suicide) and my aunt had his brain examined for CTE and came back positive so we did the same thing when my dad died. Sure enough he was positive for CTE as well

So my opinion is one from experience but not scientific. Doesn't mean my opinion is invalid though
You are correct...I could have. it was sarcastic, but not much more TBH.

Cheers.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
My son is never playing football.
Ah, absolute ultimatums...a strong bedrock foundation for your son to respect you into adulthood and later from. :rolleyes: I'll say one more thing about this topic. A HUGE percentage of women that go into the adult film industry come from very religious households. Think about the correlation I'm referring to.

Moving on: football is much safer now than it was even 15 years ago.

OpenPassage

Reaction score
Ah, absolute ultimatums...a strong bedrock foundation for your son to respect you into adulthood and later from. :rolleyes: I'll say one more thing about this topic. A HUGE percentage of women that go into the adult film industry come from very religious households. Think about the correlation I'm referring to.

Moving on: football is much safer now than it was even 15 years ago

Wow