Mariners 2018/19 offseason thread...

Atradees

Reaction score
Front office clearly has no concept of what they are doing, while I don't believe oft injured players are the answer: resigning Hernandez and getting rid of Paxton. Beyond stupid. getting rid of three swings your out black hole catcher was the best move.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
It looks like the M’s got schooled on the surface but who knows, time will tell.
Always hated trading for over-rated Yankee prospects, Russ Davis ring a bell?

Jerry should have got Boston involved, and have them bid against each other.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2lcxu6aq said:
It looks like the M’s got schooled on the surface but who knows, time will tell.

Buhner was the other one...

But yeah, I thought the AStros were in heavy contention for Pax.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Bobblehead":1a9k30h5 said:
Sports Hernia":1a9k30h5 said:

Buhner was the only trade with the yanks that worked in Seattle’s favor, and that’s only becuase they were owned by the Jerruh Jones of baseball (Steinbrenner).

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Bobblehead":hm1neqau said:
Sports Hernia":hm1neqau said:

I read that we were in talks with the Astros but they didn’t want to give up Forrest Whitley so it was a no deal.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well they had thought they fleeced us with Buhner, I think he was hitting around .119 or so at the time and they wanted our Slugger if I remember Phelps may have been the guy at the time, going off memory here.

Buhner started playing and git better fast, George I think said it was one of his biggest mistakes ever, Buhner also happened to have his best games against the Yankees here or there.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":rrzoqvkb said:
I was reading that we got schooled in this trade. Scouts are saying Sheffield probably tops out as a #3 stafter, and some question if he ever will become an MLB starting pitcher with his control problems. The other two guys we got weren’t even top 10 in the Yankees farm system.

I’m all for trading Paxton, but if we do I either want a guy who can play right away and a couple prospects, or a prospect who can be an ace. Seems like we got a bunch of low ceiling guys.

I don't know man. Check out this kid's stuff and arm action. I can see why Dipoto is high on him. Just 22, lefty, mid 90s with cutting action, wickedly sick slider. Control can be harnessed- Pax's command wasn't stellar when he came up either. This kid is definitely pipeline's #31 for a reason.
[youtube]0PESwaYH2tQ[/youtube]

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
He looks great on tape, there is no doubt about that. The question is with his command. If he can become a front end of the rotation starter, the trade will have worked out. But a lot of scouts question whether he is a starter or a bullpen guy. Same with the other pitcher we got. Unfortunately with MLB deals that involve prospects, you don't know for a few years.

Sounds like Segura might be the next to go. Reports were that the Yanks were looking at him before they looked at Paxton. My guess is he will be the next guy to go. Segura is 28, if we are talking about competing in a couple years, not sure a 30 year old guy who can't hit for power is in the plans. If we can swing some prospects for him I'd be fine with it. I think the experiment with Dee Gordon in the OF is done, so we could move him back to SS to replace Segura,or 2B assuming Cano goes to 1B. Even though Dipoto said Diaz is untouchable, it sounds like they will listen to offers for him. His stock won't be any higher than it is now.

chris98251

Reaction score
Trouble with the Mariners, even when we think we get a good prospect we seem to ruin them especially hitters.

The Mariners rebuild has been like building a house of cards in a windstorm always seems to have been since Gillick and Piniella left.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":22a3rxjh said:
Rumor per Ken Rosenthal, Padres in works for acquiring Segura and Mike Leake for utility player Wil Myers. Deal may not be close to completion though.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndicatio ... s.amp.html

https://mobile.twitter.com/Ken_Rosentha ... gr%5Etweet
Sounds like Seattle would be getting the short end of the stick again on that trade.

I’d be up more for trading Seager for a bag of baseballs and eating his salary.
Same for Félix, sadly. M’s refuse to eat bad contracts though and that’s why this rebuilds chances of working are slim.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Just how does Will Myer fit in the role of a prospect, if that's the direction we are heading in?

And.. don't we already have a first baseman in the minors who we are high on.. who I really wish they would convert to 3b.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Meyers is a little younger than Segura, but sounds like getting Leake’s contract off the books could be the main reason for this trade.

HawkinNY

Reaction score
I really was hoping Sheffield would have stayed a yankee. I believe that kid is going to be a ace in 3 years. He is a lefty who can hit 98, 99 if need be. He reminds me of a left handed Severino. Once he figures his control out he will be better than severino. And don’t sleep on that outfielder you guys got. They project him to be a 4th outfielder on a team but he def can be a full time starter batting in the 2 hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
12thmanNY":2xoj9zor said:
I really was hoping Sheffield would have stayed a yankee. I believe that kid is going to be a ace in 3 years. He is a lefty who can hit 98, 99 if need be. He reminds me of a left handed Severino. Once he figures his control out he will be better than severino. And don’t sleep on that outfielder you guys got. They project him to be a 4th outfielder on a team but he def can be a full time starter batting in the 2 hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I keep hearing the opposite. I watched a some MLB Network today and both experts said that Sheffield projects anywhere from a starter to a pen guy. Serious concerns with his command. Obviously Dipoto likes him, we will find out in a couple years if he hit on this trade. Some also think Swanson is more a pen guy than a back end starter. The hitter we acquired sounds like a throw in. He's pretty old for being in single A. They said he will have to really hit in double A this season to have a chance.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/NBCSports/status/1067541847541800964[/tweet]

In short: the Mariners would eat $10 million of the roughly $24 million Cano is owed each year and the Mets would either unload Jay Bruce on the Mariners or, possibly, pick up a good everyday player in the deal. Martino mentions Edwin Diaz or Mitch Haniger, which seems like an awful lot — indeed, the Mariners have been reported to consider them off limits — but that’s what he’s saying. He’s also saying the Mets would play Cano at second base for the time being and move Jeff McNeil to third. I guess Todd Frazier goes and lives on a farm up north? You know, where he can run free outside all day long? I dunno.

If a deal does happen, I can see it being a positive for the Mets even if another player doesn’t come over from Seattle. Cano makes a ton of money now, but at a reasonable salary he’s still a good player to have around. Cano was suspended for 80 games last year but he hit well after coming back from his suspension, going .317/.363/.497 in 40 games in the second half. There’s no reason to think that he doesn’t have at least a couple of good offensive years left.

Guess we’ll wait and watch.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Another good article on Cano/Diaz trade rationales:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com ... imits/amp/

It's the notion that Jerry would be willing to part with Diaz and get just 1 prospect if someone is willing to take on Cano's nightmare contract. But with any interested team demanding Jerry eat $50 mil minimum, the deal is less attractive to Sea.

For max rebuild value it's more logical to trade Diaz separately for a few top prospects and trade Cano with someone else and try to get at least a little savings.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Cano and Diaz to the Mets. Damn...was really hoping Diaz would be part of the rebuild. Definitely helps to get rid of Cano's contract though. Kelenic looks pretty good..