Mariners 2018/19 offseason thread...

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Crizilla":2k6j72cy said:
Cano and Diaz to the Mets. Damn...was really hoping Diaz would be part of the rebuild. Not a big fan of this. Definitely helps to get rid of Cano's contract though.

More info on the potential trade. I imagine Diaz is part of the trade to encourage the taking on of Cano's contract.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1068288010150645760[/tweet]

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Deal won't be official tonight but there may be just a few more details to be ironed out. https://www.google.com/amp/www.espn.com ... atform=amp

For all the proponents who wanted to trade Diaz, you're about to get what you wished for. If they really wanted to maximize Diaz' value though, both the Braves and Phillies were highly interested in Diaz and Jerry could've likely gotten more prospects from either. But this is what happens when either ownership mandated Jerry to dump Cano or Jerry feels reducing payroll the next 2 years trumps securing the most prospects in return. Or the M's are truly cheap and have no intention of signing any elite, pricey FAs again.

Limited choices and opportunities to rid of Cano, but I just hope the M's get both Mets' 1st round prospects and a 3rd prospect and not just 1.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
IT looks like there's some good pieces the Ms' would get in return.. Don't care to much for Bruce, he's like a one trick pony and I doubt he would want to come here to begin with.. I'm guessing it's a contract throw in as much as anything.

Atradees

Reaction score
I didn't think Cano was trade-able. I would like to know the return pieces in the deal. I've heard different things like two recent first round picks and ....from there it gets foggy. McNeil is the one Mets fans are sweating? Bruce and Swarzak look like less than average players. If we have to eat the Bruce contract the Mets should pay the entire Cano bill. I hope were getting something better than baggage in return for two great players......

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
So from what Ive read we will get Kelenic and Dunn who were both 1st round picks. Mets fans are not happy about giving up Kelenic especially who scouts say has star potential. Also included would be Bruce, Swarzak, and reliever Gerson Bautista.

Cano, Diaz, Cash
For
Kelenic, Dunn, Bruce, Swarzak, Bautista

Mets fans are very not happy about this deal. I would be very happy with this deal.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
As much as I hate to see Diaz go, this team isn't close to being playoff contenders, might as well get something for him when his trade value is at his highest. Especially at the very low cost from his first contract and the team control from the Mets on him.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
anyone have a link (or willing to make a chart that can be updated) with all the outgoings and subsequent incomings, as well as current stay overs?

Interested to see what the roster looks like as the winter carries on.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Those 2 first rounders from the Mets are probaly better than anything we have in the minors now..
I like the trade but yeah maybe we get more for Diaz alone.
The fire sale is on..We will be getting a top 3 pick in 2020 draft for sure.
Bye Bye Felix..Wonder what we can get for him?Lol

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
IndyHawk":2e4k1fra said:
Those 2 first rounders from the Mets are probaly better than anything we have in the minors now..
I like the trade but yeah maybe we get more for Diaz alone.
The fire sale is on..We will be getting a top 3 pick in 2020 draft for sure.
Bye Bye Felix..Wonder what we can get for him?Lol

Regarding Felix.. all “cracker jack” type jokes aide probably the best we can hope is convince some team to take on part of his salary.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Does anyone find it odd that M's are purging or looking to purge most of their Latino players...Cruz, Diaz, Colome, Cano, and actively marketing Segura. One guy they should get rid of....Juan Nicasio is still around.

Kyle Seagar, who isn't Latino, should be gone too. They can remove Dipoto while they are at it. What he's doing now should have happened when he took over, not year 3 since he's been a GM. Houston was a much worse team at the time when Jerry took over the M's now they are much better and have a World Series championship. The M's need that type of GM and not the one they have now.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
:roll:
hawkfan68":fdd5hi4u said:
Does anyone find it odd that M's are purging or looking to purge most of their Latino players...Cruz, Diaz, Colome, Cano, and actively marketing Segura. One guy they should get rid of....Juan Nicasio is still around.

Kyle Seagar, who isn't Latino, should be gone too. They can remove Dipoto while they are at it. What he's doing now should have happened when he took over, not year 3 since he's been a GM. Houston was a much worse team at the time when Jerry took over the M's now they are much better and have a World Series championship. The M's need that type of GM and not the one they have now.
:roll:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2b68vzac said:

Rebuilding. sucks.... but in this case it has to be done.
Don’t like trading Diaz but closers don’t usually last very long. Once Diaz starts losing velocity he
Won’t be effective. By the time the Mariners are contending Diaz won’t be closing anymore most likely.

Mariano Rivera is the exception not the rule when it comes to closers.

Would like to see Felix and Seager gone, then it would be almost a total rebuild.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":36ranwrl said:
hawkfan68":36ranwrl said:

Rebuilding. sucks.... but in this case it has to be done.
Don’t like trading Diaz but closers don’t usually last very long. Once Diaz starts losing velocity he
Won’t be effective. By the time the Mariners are contending Diaz won’t be closing anymore most likely.

Mariano Rivera is the exception not the rule when it comes to closers.

Would like to see Felix and Seager gone, then it would be almost a total rebuild.

Agreed we need to find a way to dump Felix and Seager but with those awful contracts it'll be nearly impossible to trade them. They should just release Felix and eat this last disastrous year of $27.8 million. Seager is due a ridiculous $72.5 million through '22 so they would have to link him with Segura in a trade and eat at least half that. But honestly I just don't see any team trading for Seager. Fatass Jack continues to haunt us.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Good Sea Times piece about our rebuild process and the risks/rewards. https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/mar ... -decision/

Hopefully our rebuild can at least mirror the Brewers and Braves’ success. And let’s hope our influx of prospects pan out and not turn into Ackley, Smoak, Montero and co. But as the article suggests, it’s really our only play.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Guys over at Lookout Landing really like the 3 Mets prospects being considered in the deal, FWIW

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Would have liked to see the name McNeil in that list.. perhaps we can add seager for him

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
https://www.lookoutlanding.com/2018/12/ ... d-some-guy

Deal is now done. M’s “only” give $20 mil to the Mets which makes this much better for us than the rumored 50-60 mil reported earlier. Factoring in the Bruce and Swarzak contracts, M’s save appx $63 mil. Not bad. Kelenic has major upside with all the tools, Dunn only had a 4.22 era in AA but is still 23 with mid 90s stuff featuring 4 solid pitches, Bautista is 23, throws 100 but with serious command issues. So these guys are very much intriguing and hopeful prospects. Both Kelinic and Dunn top 100 MLB pipeline guys. Concerns are did the M’s really maximize their return for Díaz? Would the Phils have offered more? And had Jerry sent more cash to NY, could we have gotten McNeil or another quality prospect?