Mariners 2019 season

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Fielding gaffes aside, this team is nothing short of electric so far. Nice to see. The pen is somewhat messy, but that's been the case for the last few years. I'm not sure how to feel about this team yet, but I'm not one who thinks this season will be a complete disaster. However, this start has exceeded my expectations by a mile.

sutz

Reaction score
Fielding and bullpen are already showing as problem areas going forward. Enjoying the games so far, though.

Gotta love the long ball game they're putting together. Lot of good ABs.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
The results are completely unexpected, but this is happening to all of MLB, particularly the AL. Just look at the standings and you would think they are upside down. Sox and Yankees at the bottom of the AL East. Astros and Angels at the bottom of the AL West. It's early, and the standings will even out, but for now enjoy the nice start.

I'll be honest, I haven't watched much of the Mariners this season. If they keep it up I'll tune in. Anyone else surprised they stuck with the Kings Court? I thought we had seen the last of it.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Such an exciting and enjoyable start. The team by all accounts has great chemistry-lots of hungry guys with something to prove and they all reportedly get along. A very good lineup top to bottom so far.

It's very early of course and the starting pitching may have overachieved with the bullpen the weakest link. And the defense is not good but I'll take guys that can flat mash in the lineup any day instead. Will be fun to watch.

OP
OP
S

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Defense and bullpen is horrible. Easily could be 9 and 0 but will be 7 and 2.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SeatownJay":96mzuwum said:
Oof, this defense is not good.

Dont think i've ever seen 3 errors by one player in a game in my time watching baseball. I've now seen a player commit 3 errors in one inning, twice, on the same team, in just 9 games.

sutz

Reaction score
It's what we knew coming out of spring. Defense and bullpen. What's up with Gearrin? I don't think he threw one pitch in the zone. Two walks and a hit batter in the same inning.

:shock:

Seahaaaawks

Reaction score
Bullpen is BRUTAL! Defense has been pretty shaky as well.. was it Moore who made 3 errors at 3rd the other night? Never seen anything like it. Guess it happened again today :pukeface: these guys can hit tho, hopefully they clean up the rest

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Our offense could be amongst the best in the AL but that damn bullpen could destroy the whole season.

Servais and Jerry need to cone up with a plan quick because so far these are the only major league caliber relievers we have: Elias, Swarzak, Festa and Brennan. The rest are AAA quality at best. Gearin and Rosscup need to be gone immediately.

The defense is poor but this lineup can overcome a couple errors a game. They can't overcome a completely overmatched, command lacking bullpen day after day.

sutz

Reaction score
Uncle Si":rtniekbf said:
Probably the time to remember that this season is about preparing for 2021.

Dont be surprised to see veteran pitchers moved on by may/june for some the very good young arms in the system

https://www.lookoutlanding.com/2019...b-opening-day-what-to-watch-for-who-to-follow
This ^^^

Our hot start seems to have built up some false hope for this season. I don't think it'll be a 100 loss season or anything, but it won't be 95 wins either. There will be lots of transactions and people moving up and down from Tacoma all year, I suspect. ;)

Ruminator

Reaction score
sutz":1vys64hs said:
Uncle Si":1vys64hs said:
Probably the time to remember that this season is about preparing for 2021.

Dont be surprised to see veteran pitchers moved on by may/june for some the very good young arms in the system

https://www.lookoutlanding.com/2019...b-opening-day-what-to-watch-for-who-to-follow
This ^^^

Our hot start seems to have built up some false hope for this season. I don't think it'll be a 100 loss season or anything, but it won't be 95 wins either. There will be lots of transactions and people moving up and down from Tacoma all year, I suspect. ;)

While we know "it's NOW time" is not the M's slogan this year, I do miss Diaz already. His dominance was the envy of everyone -- too bad the rest of the team suddenly became mediocre after the all star game.

What is currently the best record in the league could quickly become one of the worst, though now that it appears they have some pretty decent bats, the offense will probably keep them slightly north of .500. I did find myself wondering, though, if the front office might have hit jackpot in certain key acquisitions this offseason that would enable the Ms to put up a lot more wins than anyone expected. But like everyone else is saying -- yeah, defense, pitching, and bullpen.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I just don't see this team staying above .500 with how weak their fielding and pitching is. The hitting can only get you so far. As we saw last season, at some point the hitting will cool down.

Of the guys on the roster now, who is suppose to be around in a few years when we are suppose to compete? I have trouble getting excited to watch when I know most these guys won't even be around that long.

sutz

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":uhl43je3 said:
I just don't see this team staying above .500 with how weak their fielding and pitching is. The hitting can only get you so far. As we saw last season, at some point the hitting will cool down.

Of the guys on the roster now, who is suppose to be around in a few years when we are suppose to compete? I have trouble getting excited to watch when I know most these guys won't even be around that long.
Right now it looks like Haniger, Kikuchi, and Gonzalez. Maybe a couple of others. There are several in the minors that are expected to be up this year or next like Lewis and Bishop.

I expect them to be around .500 or so. Mostly trying to keep my eyes on the prospects as much as possible.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Lets assume the Mariners are out of contention by July, do they call up the prospects or keep them in the minors. From my understanding Crawford is the most ready, but would they call up Sheffield and Kelenic to get some experience in the majors? The big knock on Jack Z was that he brought up all the prospects too early.

sutz

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":yssqttfy said:
Lets assume the Mariners are out of contention by July, do they call up the prospects or keep them in the minors. From my understanding Crawford is the most ready, but would they call up Sheffield and Kelenic to get some experience in the majors? The big knock on Jack Z was that he brought up all the prospects too early.
I guess it depends on what kind of trades they work out and where the roster opens up.

Encarnacion is expected to be moved before the break.

Bruce is putting up some numbers.

Leake might get moved, though I love his innings eating arm in the middle of the rotation.

Crawford looked pretty good in spring, so he might be the first one up. They took Bishop to Japan to give him a couple of ABs against real pitching in real games. He might come up quickly if they move Santana, though Santana was born after 1990, so he might be here for a while.

Seager is due back in June, though, so the infield might get a bit crowded. I'm sure we'll see all of them once the roster expands in Sept.

Hey, no errors today! :irishdrinkers:

OP
OP
S

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
I wanna see how we are in july. If we are 15 games over and battling, id like to trade to make playoffs of doesn't kill us. Idc to hear about future as its anything possible.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":2g0zform said:
I wanna see how we are in july. If we are 15 games over and battling, id like to trade to make playoffs of doesn't kill us. Idc to hear about future as its anything possible.

Whether you care or not... that would derail the whole process.

The only thing that changes that is all these extensions being given to futire free agents the Ms had probably circled as available in a year or two.

If the list gets shorter they may change gears and go after guys who are have more length on their contracts. That would require more capital, however

Atradees

Reaction score
I am liking the professional at bats I am seeing. We are having homers and walks. Guys working the pitchers raising their counts. Haven't seen that from a mariners team before. Good offense. I think as the team jells there will be less messy mistakes. Our pitching rotation wasn't that great last year. Its better this year. I also think with the depth it can be better.

IMO we jumped on some guys likely getting little spring action.........Ill take an offensive team with errors over last years anemic offense any day. Its exciting.

I think alot depends or hangs in the balance on the small or seemingly small decisions. Hernandez and his role as a 5th pitcher, The third base situation; is Seager done? Is Healy a better alternative? Moore vs Shed long.......which guys better compliment what we are building. I guess Im not used to having a potential farm system. Its all very exciting so many potential options.