Mariners 2019 season

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":37q6ktmc said:
Lets assume the Mariners are out of contention by July, do they call up the prospects or keep them in the minors. From my understanding Crawford is the most ready, but would they call up Sheffield and Kelenic to get some experience in the majors? The big knock on Jack Z was that he brought up all the prospects too early.
Kenelic is 2 years away. Long, Evan White, Crawford, and even Kyle Lewis I can see getting called up after the trade deadline or September. Sheffield should be up NOW.

Kenelic only has played one season in rookie A-ball.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2xtndowz said:
Hawk-Lock":2xtndowz said:
Lets assume the Mariners are out of contention by July, do they call up the prospects or keep them in the minors. From my understanding Crawford is the most ready, but would they call up Sheffield and Kelenic to get some experience in the majors? The big knock on Jack Z was that he brought up all the prospects too early.
Kenelic is 2 years away. Long, Evan White, Crawford, and even Kyle Lewis I can see getting called up after the trade deadline or September. Sheffield should be up NOW.

Kenelic only has played one season in rookie A-ball.

Crawford, Long, Swanson and Sheffield are the prospects probably closest to call ups

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Justin Dunn might not be far behind..
I like that rule 5 pickup-Brandon Brennan.
We have some good pitchers..Some more
are coming.I think the rebuild is happening
faster than expected.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
IndyHawk":2syu1b9w said:
Justin Dunn might not be far behind..
I like that rule 5 pickup-Brandon Brennan.
We have some good pitchers..Some more
are coming.I think the rebuild is happening
faster than expected.

The pace of the rebuild depends on the plan. The issue is they wanted to save salary by going young over 2 years then going big into FA to add to these developing players.

But that 2021 market is starting to dry up with these extensions. Will be interesting to see how the FO responds in August.

As well as the team is playing right now, its really early and only a handful are projected going to be around in 2021.

getnasty

Reaction score
I don't care if there still in it in July they need to sell Seager, Edwin, Bruce, Leake and Felix if possible and keep stacking prospects. It would be very M's like to do this half ass.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
getnasty":zj2vpudj said:
I don't care if there still in it in July they need to sell Seager, Edwin, Bruce, Leake and Felix if possible and keep stacking prospects. It would be very M's like to do this half ass.

Exactly...

And all those players (save maybe Leake) will be gone by August. Their replacements already active in AAA

Felix may stay simply because noone wants him. But thats up to him.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
getnasty":qs1ke3oe said:
Don't get me wrong..
I still want to "stock" the farm ect..I'm saying some these younger ones may
be closer to ready than thought especially in pitching..
At this point our GM looks like he knows what he is doing even though the
moves seem odd-they still come out in our favor..
I'm enjoying this season..First one in some time honestly.

sutz

Reaction score
I think I'm liking this almost more than home runs. Men on base, batters grinding out ABs, working the count and getting the pitch count up, hitting RBI singles, lather, rinse, repeat. :mrgreen:

Of course, Vogie hitting a 3-RBI double is kind of nice, too. And we still have him at 2d as they change pitchers with 1 out in the 3rd.

:irishdrinkers:

IndyHawk

Reaction score
M's are teeing it off today..
Offense wise this team is best (early) that
I have seen ever I think..The record is
reflecting it.

sutz

Reaction score
IndyHawk":jq7bjrxj said:
M's are teeing it off today..
Offense wise this team is best (early) that
I have seen ever I think..The record is
reflecting it.
Enjoying it while it lasts! :snack:

sutz

Reaction score
Vogie just collected 2 more RBI with a shot to the right field bleachers. :mrgreen:

sutz

Reaction score
Another gem from LeBlanc. 6 complete, 2 runs, some scattered hits. Throwing like Jamie. Lots of junk, changes speeds, spots his pitches well. :2thumbs:

OP
OP
S

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Ms going to be 9-2 after today. They easily would be 11 and 0 with a decent bullpen. That's crazy! Bullpen era is at 6.00.

OP
OP
S

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1u860f6g said:
Shanegotyou11":1u860f6g said:
I wanna see how we are in july. If we are 15 games over and battling, id like to trade to make playoffs of doesn't kill us. Idc to hear about future as its anything possible.

Whether you care or not... that would derail the whole process.

The only thing that changes that is all these extensions being given to futire free agents the Ms had probably circled as available in a year or two.

If the list gets shorter they may change gears and go after guys who are have more length on their contracts. That would require more capital, however

Sure and if this team has a solid shot to make the playoffs and do well if they are buyers? Im all in. Their is no promise that in 2021 to 2025 we will be awesome.

However this is so early so it doesn't matter to talk about this anyway right now.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Seahaaaawks":ch81xmf8 said:
Man this bullpen lol the pen comes in and immediately gives up 3 runs.
There are 3 guys in that BP in the top of my head that
Should not be in..Festa is one of those.
We have pitchers in minors/IL that can fix the problem.
Service time issue is likely the delay of bringing anyone up
as you have to wait till almost May to avoid a wasted year
counting against FA time ect.
I can see Dunn,Shef and Swanson coming up this year.

OP
OP
S

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Uncle Si":6vm6qpyp said:
getnasty":6vm6qpyp said:

Exactly...

And all those players (save maybe Leake) will be gone by August. Their replacements already active in AAA

So if they are in it in july, you still want us to sell for hopes and wishes for 2021. (By in it i mean leading playoff race) That makes zero sense if you could make it now. You instead are relying for hopes and wishes instead.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":31kzglht said:
Uncle Si":31kzglht said:
getnasty":31kzglht said:

Exactly...

So if they are in it in july, you still want us to sell for hopes and wishes for 2021. (By in it i mean leading playoff race) That makes zero sense if you could make it now. You instead are relying for hopes and wishes instead.

yes, you still sell.. because this team as it is will not beat the Astros, Yankees, Red Sox, etal, even if they can hang with them for a bit. Sure, maybe they are a 1st wild card over a barely above average Twins team or a struggling A's team.

That's the mentality they tried the last two years and are now where they are. Repeating it doesnt make sense.

If they are still in it in June,/july.. and riding the good performances of vet players, those player's assets are now worth more. Cash them in, promote the young players who should be the ones that can take the team places for the long term and restock the system with top tier young players.

Thats how the Astros got to where they are.

sutz

Reaction score
Uncle Si":ufaf5vz9 said:
Shanegotyou11":ufaf5vz9 said:
Uncle Si":ufaf5vz9 said:
getnasty":ufaf5vz9 said:

Exactly...

yes, you still sell.. because this team as it is will not beat the Astros, Yankees, Red Sox, etal, even if they can hang with them for a bit. Sure, maybe they are a 1st wild card over a barely above average Twins team or a struggling A's team.

That's the mentality they tried the last two years and are now where they are. Repeating it doesnt make sense.

If they are still in it in June,/july.. and riding the good performances of vet players, those player's assets are now worth more. Cash them in, promote the young players who should be the ones that can take the team places for the long term.
That's actually an incentive for guys like Encarnacion and Bruce et al. If they do well for us, there's a chance they'll get traded to a legit contender at the deadline. I don't care what our record is at the half way point of the season. I want to stick with the program, which is to get our younger guys together so they can learn to play and succeed as a team. Usually, I'm not one to want to sell if there is any mathematical hope. This year, not so much. They have a plan and I'm buying in to it.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
sutz":1ljn3hy1 said:
Uncle Si":1ljn3hy1 said:
Shanegotyou11":1ljn3hy1 said:
Uncle Si":1ljn3hy1 said:
Exactly...

If they are still in it in June,/july.. and riding the good performances of vet players, those player's assets are now worth more. Cash them in, promote the young players who should be the ones that can take the team places for the long term.
That's actually an incentive for guys like Encarnacion and Bruce et al. If they do well for us, there's a chance they'll get traded to a legit contender at the deadline. I don't care what our record is at the half way point of the season. I want to stick with the program, which is to get our younger guys together so they can learn to play and succeed as a team. Usually, I'm not one to want to sell if there is any mathematical hope. This year, not so much. They have a plan and I'm buying in to it.

yeah, i mean unless they are on a 116 win pace and leading the division by 10, you have to.

Even then, i think you still move players like Bruce and Encarnacion on.