Mariners OFF-season thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
My thing about hitting...You either can or you can't when you get to the top level.It may take a year or two but after that you pretty much are who you are.I don't think MZ is going to be that much better hitting wise and it has nothing to do with being rushed.I wish all levels used wood bats,then we can get a better idea of ML hitters.That is if they can hit the breaking ball.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
What I do like about the new GM is at least seems to have a plan. During the Z years it was speed then pitching and defense followed by power.

This team seems to have real hitters that can hit at the top of the order , better speed and the outfield should be much improved. I think we will be at least competitive. The west has some good teams in it and it will be hard to get even to 3rd.

Rob12

Reaction score
IndyHawk":1in7kgsx said:
My thing about hitting...You either can or you can't when you get to the top level.It may take a year or two but after that you pretty much are who you are.I don't think MZ is going to be that much better hitting wise and it has nothing to do with being rushed.I wish all levels used wood bats,then we can get a better idea of ML hitters.That is if they can hit the breaking ball.

Studies have been done on this, and your more successful hitters in the bigs typically get 1,000 to 1,500 at bats in the minors. That's where pitch recognition is learned. Zunino got something like 300 at bats in the minors. His bat was plus when he was drafted. He was rushed. To see him come up and hit .180 and have a K rate of 35 percent is a direct indictment on how the former M's regime handled him.

babyblues

Reaction score
While I respect the principle that you either have or you don't when it comes to hitting in the bigs, there must be consideration given to have minor league at bats. MZ only saw 229 AAA plate appearances. In contrast, Buster Posey amassed 359 plate appearances at the AAA level. I'm optimistic about MZ and believe that with more AB's and instruction he as the potential to develop into a solid field general for the M's both offensively and defensively.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
How many MLB ab's has he had?I mean I understand what you 2 are pointing out but ab's in any level counts right?I hope I'm wrong but I've been watching baseball for a real long time and the list of lousy hitters goes way beyond those years.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
IndyHawk":3cinjzyj said:
How many MLB ab's has he had?I mean I understand what you 2 are pointing out but ab's in any level counts right?I hope I'm wrong but I've been watching baseball for a real long time and the list of lousy hitters goes way beyond those years.
He's had a total of 548 plate appearances in the minors & fall league and 1055 in the majors.

Reaction score
FWIW,
The PR machine is cranking up.
http://mynorthwest.com/374/2880439/Video-Mariners-aim-to-Control-the-Zone-in-2016
While the week between Christmas and New Years is usually off time for Major League Baseball front offices, the Mariners put out a video tidbit, giving a little more insight into a message that has been promised since Jerry Dipoto's first day on the job. Development throughout the organization would be a top priority. Check it out above.
Go M's,

Go Hawks,
BillA

IndyHawk

Reaction score
SeatownJay":2jgppxla said:
IndyHawk":2jgppxla said:
He's had a total of 548 plate appearances in the minors & fall league and 1055 in the majors.
Thanks for the imfo,it was a lot more than I thought.I'm rooting for the guy but dang

Rob12

Reaction score
IndyHawk":9ivl3fom said:
SeatownJay":9ivl3fom said:
IndyHawk":9ivl3fom said:
Thanks for the imfo,it was a lot more than I thought.I'm rooting for the guy but dang

"Dang" is right. Jack Z ruined Zunino. His ceiling at this point is a .225 or .250 hitter that can hit 20 bombs a season and play great defense. That's the ceiling, and that's valuable from the catcher position, but he could have been more. At the time of his promotion to Seattle, he had less than 400 MiLB at bats. That just doesn't cut it. He was rushed to appease a fan base that was tired of losing and losing without marquee players.

You can't rush prospects. Baseball is a different beast. I believe it's something like 75 percent of first round picks will never sniff the Show. In a good organization, Zunino would be primed to be our catcher for the next seven to eight years. At this point, he's a wildcard, and Jerry has put the pressure on Edgar to fix him.

Just a damn shame to waste another first round pick. He had the talent to be very good. He still does. But a lot of damage has been done. When you come up to Show and consistently get dominated, it's going to mess with your psyche as a ballplayer.

babyblues

Reaction score
Rob12":q0kzbm30 said:
IndyHawk":q0kzbm30 said:
SeatownJay":q0kzbm30 said:
IndyHawk":q0kzbm30 said:

"Dang" is right. Jack Z ruined Zunino. His ceiling at this point is a .225 or .250 hitter that can hit 20 bombs a season and play great defense. That's the ceiling, and that's valuable from the catcher position, but he could have been more. At the time of his promotion to Seattle, he had less than 400 MiLB at bats. That just doesn't cut it. He was rushed to appease a fan base that was tired of losing and losing without marquee players.

You can't rush prospects. Baseball is a different beast. I believe it's something like 75 percent of first round picks will never sniff the Show. In a good organization, Zunino would be primed to be our catcher for the next seven to eight years. At this point, he's a wildcard, and Jerry has put the pressure on Edgar to fix him.

Just a damn shame to waste another first round pick. He had the talent to be very good. He still does. But a lot of damage has been done. When you come up to Show and consistently get dominated, it's going to mess with your psyche as a ballplayer.

I completely agree with your sentiments. Zunino was rushed into big league service without adequate MiLB time. While the issue of at bats is touched on, the position of catcher is one of the most difficult positions on the field. Its on thing to hit and play a position, but having to call a game is unique to every pitcher and each game. I'm hoping with the Mariner's off season signings that it will allow MZ to focus on his development.

Rob12

Reaction score
I'd encourage all to check out Divish's Notebook on the Times, and also check out Dutton's stuff on the Tribune.

Divish posted a short video of Zunino in BP this morning on Twitter. Looks decent, the leg kick is a bit more pronounced and higher now, so we'll see. He's the one M that I really want to see bounce back. Show consistent contact in Tacoma, and maybe get a call in August/September to begin resurrecting an otherwise promising career. He's not super young anymore, so he still has time, but the clock on the reclamation project is ticking away.

Status
Not open for further replies.