Marsh Facemask

OkieHawk

Reaction score
JesterHawk":3pbeh11z said:
It's only an offense if it's unwelcomed, right? Asking for a friend.

I'm fairly certain this is correct. Unless they were dressed inappropriately, like no red shirt for instance.

253hawk

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":3eoqevzy said:
I would be willing to bet that if a ref sees fingers go in or even touches a QBs mask then he/she throws a flag at least 95 times out of 100

burfv9jpdwm7qn6kbrxw.gif

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
kthebestwayw":1zlse225 said:
You guys all are wack. He clearly twisted the facemask. It was clear on the instant replay

I agree.

And how often is it a non-call on a slow developing QB/tackler isolation where every eye and camera in the place is on it?

Running back in a scrum, maybe nobody notices. QB getting sacked in the open field, nobody misses it.

253hawk

Reaction score
kthebestwayw":2a1f2lw4 said:
You guys all are wack. He clearly twisted the facemask. It was clear on the instant replay

Hyperbole sure is fun. He doesn't grab or twist the facemask at all. His hand is on the brow line of the helmet -- yes, the upper bar of the 'facemask' is also there, but it's just for mounting purposes and all but impossible to grab onto because it's nearly flush against the helmet.

https://gfycat.com/DefiantBrokenIndri

The hell is a defender supposed to do when a QB turns away and lowers his head? He was trying to wrap up high; the cleanest tackle you can possibly make. Under the old rules, it would have been a 5-yarder at worst and still 3rd and long, but the NFL says that Marsh's inadvertent helmet grab is the exact same thing as doing this:

https://gfycat.com/gifs/search/talib/de ... engaltiger

Boger and his crew laid a huge steaming deuce of an 'effort' on the field.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":fawtizhd said:
Every helmet to helmet call is to be called and we know how that has gone so far.

RW was hit helmet to helmet 3x against LA with no calls.

The media will cry for Cam, but not RW

Smellyman

Reaction score
Main point for me is, bummer hand got near mask, but how about Marsh? Can we get the man more PT?

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Smellyman":vcaod1m9 said:
Main point for me is, bummer hand got near mask, but how about Marsh? Can we get the man more PT?

It does suck. We could be talking more about Marsh and Clarks 5 combined sacks and what a boost they have been to the pass rush. I was hoping they'd cut him and now he is turning out to be a valuable asset. Glad I was wrong.

253hawk

Reaction score
Smellyman":2frxviej said:
Hawk_Nation":2frxviej said:
Every helmet to helmet call is to be called and we know how that has gone so far.

The media will cray for Cam, but not RW

Don't forget Donald driving him into the turf and him and Quinn both diving at his legs, all well within the pocket.

JumpmanXhawk

Reaction score
Smellyman":3d1oq5aa said:
Hawk_Nation":3d1oq5aa said:

Super Bowl rematch versus a midday game against the Rams . Seems pretty simple to me.

And the face mask was a non issue for me. I've seen plenty of accidental face mask calls ruin defensive stops. It's a flawed part of the game but it's a part that you have to accept. All players know intentionally or not if a ref see hands in the facemask and the head moves in the slightest fashion that it's a flag 100% of the time.

OP
OP
H

Hawks46

Reaction score
ChiefHawk":1ppb859t said:
They will call facemask whenever any fingers go into the facemask.

Penetration, however slight, is sufficient to complete the offense.

This is what my wife tells me when she's not in the mood.

Wait, what ?

JumpmanXhawk

Reaction score
253hawk":27en7x8j said:
Hawk_Nation":27en7x8j said:
I would be willing to bet that if a ref sees fingers go in or even touches a QBs mask then he/she throws a flag at least 95 times out of 100

burfv9jpdwm7qn6kbrxw.gif
And that accidental arm movement which got caught in the face mask just so happened to cost the lions the game. Took a sure victory away and gave the Packers a hail Mary try smh

Smellyman

Reaction score
JumpmanXhawk":12nn0qa3 said:
Smellyman":12nn0qa3 said:
Hawk_Nation":12nn0qa3 said:

Super Bowl rematch versus a midday game against the Rams . Seems pretty simple to me.

And the face mask was a non issue for me. I've seen plenty of accidental face mask calls ruin defensive stops. It's a flawed part of the game but it's a part that you have to accept. All players know intentionally or not if a ref see hands in the facemask and the head moves in the slightest fashion that it's a flag 100% of the time.

Not quite that simple, the return to LA has been built up for decades and was a national broadcast.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Regardless of the rule it shouldn't of been called. The intent was safety and its obvious he didn't do anything unsafe. In that moment of the game you can't make a game changing call on something like that. The ref has to not throw that flag. But having said that I'm not mad at the ref. Like Sargent said above its an awareness thing. Marsh has to do a better job in that situation. He put the ref in a position where he has a choice to make. The QB was dead to rights and falling down.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":qy05a72n said:
Hawk_Nation":qy05a72n said:
FlyHawksFly":qy05a72n said:
95 times out of 100, huh?

yup, nice attempt at trolling

How is that trolling? Just thought it was funny how contradictory your statement was compared to the picture you posted. If anything you are trolling yourself.

Stop. Perhaps both of you need to take a break from this particular topic.

ChiefHawk

Reaction score
JesterHawk":674zf069 said:
OkieHawk":674zf069 said:
ChiefHawk":674zf069 said:
They will call facemask whenever any fingers go into the facemask.

Penetration, however slight, is sufficient to complete the offense.

Must. Not. Make. Shack. Type. Comment.

Giggidy.

It's only an offense if it's unwelcomed, right? Asking for a friend.

Well, it is a quote from UCMJ Article 125, so you can look it up and decide for yourself.

JimmyG

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":cth8ghxl said:
95 times out of 100, huh?
Well, in fairness, he said 95 times out of 100 when the ref sees it. Maybe they didn't see it in this case (distinct from "they saw it, but decided not to throw a flag"). It's easy to use a freeze frame picture and say, "see! Look, he clearly had his hands in the facemask", but sometimes it's easy to miss in real-time at full speed.

olyfan63

Reaction score
It was, unfortunately, a legit call. I was hoping to see different on the replay, but I saw fingers inside the helmet and the helmet move as a result of the grab. We could argue about facemask vs edge of helment and definitions, but I saw it as a fair call. Ticky-tack, yes, but legitimate. Negated a great effort from Marsh.

We still had a stop and another chance to win even after that.

Latest posts