Mastermind of 2nd half offense: Tom Cable?

SimonHatcher

Reaction score
red grenadine":xypxyfjm said:
I'd be fine with Cable as OC if that means Bevell is gone and we hire a new o-line coach

We have Pat Ruel who is assistant OL, who can step straight in. And then hire a new assistant OL (we probably have someone learning the trade already, that is how Coach Carroll works).

hawknation2015

Reaction score
SimonHatcher":44rp27zv said:
red grenadine":44rp27zv said:
I'd be fine with Cable as OC if that means Bevell is gone and we hire a new o-line coach

We have Pat Ruel who is assistant OL, who can step straight in. And then hire a new assistant OL (we probably have someone learning the trade already, that is how Coach Carroll works).

Ruel has been with Carroll a long time, but he's not really a technician. I think they would need to add someone else.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
We have a successful system in place that doesn't need changing. Our coaches work well together

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
How bout I just keep on being a Hawks fan instead of being someone our quarterback himself labels as "noise."

Zorn76

Reaction score
If today's 1st half embarrassment produces the firing of Bevell AND Cable, then something good will have come out of it.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Zorn76":bqs05n1v said:
If today's 1st half embarrassment produces the firing of Bevell AND Cable, then something good will have come out of it.
If you want a team that regresses significantly next season, your plan would be one to follow

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
getnasty":1asesmrw said:
Yeah I take it more like Cable finally made the proper adjustments to protect Wilson, thus giving him time for Bevells plays to work.

Not even close! The plays called in the second half where entirely different.

Seafan

Reaction score
ivotuk":n7o5z2c3 said:
The last sentence "Yet border line incompetent in the 1st half?"

Response: "Tom Cable"

It's impossible to say for sure, but I think it's Bevells 2nd half adjustments that make all the difference.

That's the frustrating part if true. Why wait until the second half. Why wait 6 games to make the offense changes?

Why when you have won thanks to the spread offense go back to a failed game plan against one of the best front 7 in the league. They should have come out in th spread. Why did it take until the team was down 31 points?

The OL looks great when RW is passing quickly. It's a mirage.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
IrishNW":357xjyrs said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/RealMikeRob/status/688826348169744384[/tweet]

If this is true, and Cable's bailing out Bevell every Sunday afternoon, then Cable should just be OC.

That's higher praise than I've heard from any player about Bevell.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":99w363k8 said:
IrishNW":99w363k8 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/RealMikeRob/status/688826348169744384[/tweet]

If this is true, and Cable's bailing out Bevell every Sunday afternoon, then Cable should just be OC.

That's higher praise than I've heard from any player about Bevell.
Maybe not having to call plays frees up Cable to watch what is going on and game plan for the second half. Also from everything I have ever read Cable and Bevell game plan together( so it isn't just on Bevell). Not convinced firing Bevell is the answer here.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
That Cable plays an important role in re-directing the offense in the 2nd half of games comes as no surprise. He is the one offensive coach who most embodies Carroll's offensive philosophy.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Tom's not the one working with Russ on the sidelines, not the one going over plays with him on the tablet.

Our protection is typically better in the second half of games, as is our run blocking. No coincidence that the offense performs at a higher level as a direct result. I can see why Mike would say he's the secret weapon if that's what Tom brings. However, it'd be cool if we could block a little to start games too.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1hcgss3f said:
Tom's not the one working with Russ on the sidelines, not the one going over plays with him on the tablet.

Our protection is typically better in the second half of games, as is our run blocking. No coincidence that the offense performs at a higher level as a direct result. I can see why Mike would say he's the secret weapon if that's what Tom brings. However, it'd be cool if we could block a little to start games too.

Yeah, I don't think he was referring only to the blocking. He is also referring to the adjustments in play calling, re-directing the offense toward exploiting the weaknesses in the defense. Cable's role is not limited to the blocking.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
hawknation2015":35fqhiep said:
DavidSeven":35fqhiep said:

Yeah, I don't think he was referring only to the blocking. He is also referring to the adjustments in play calling, re-directing the offense toward exploiting the weaknesses in the defense. Cable's role is not limited to the blocking.

He's telling Russ how to exploit a secondary? I'm sorry, if he has that much expertise in the matter he should be in Russ's ear throughout the game. That isn't the case.

Tom may or may not be a ZBS genius, but he's never coached up a great passing QB in his life going back to Atlanta.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1egf2gy5 said:
hawknation2015":1egf2gy5 said:
DavidSeven":1egf2gy5 said:

He's telling Russ how to exploit a secondary? I'm sorry, if he has that much expertise in the matter he should be in Russ's ear throughout the game. That isn't the case.

Tom may or may not be a ZBS genius, but he's never coached up a great passing QB in his life going back to Atlanta.

That is highly circular logic.

The reason Cable is not in Russ's ear throughout the game is because he is not the play caller.

But Cable does help coordinate the offense, and he has been a play caller in the past. When he was calling the plays at UCLA in 2005, they had an extremely successful passing and rushing offense.

bighawk

Reaction score
I just wish Cable would draft O-lineman and stop experimenting in try to turn guys into O-lineman. we need to be stout up the middle more physical this is why I wanted to keep Carpenter at LG. I like Gilliam and think he will become real good but up the middle needs fixing so Russell can throw from the pocket. Adjust when needed but get it right from the beginning.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
bighawk":13pa29fn said:
I just wish Cable would draft O-lineman and stop experimenting in try to turn guys into O-lineman. we need to be stout up the middle more physical this is why I wanted to keep Carpenter at LG. I like Gilliam and think he will become real good but up the middle needs fixing so Russell can throw from the pocket. Adjust when needed but get it right from the beginning.

Ultimately, it is Carroll and Schneider's decision about whom to draft when. That criticism is really overplayed. The team has never drafted a linemen convert above the 6th Round, where they drafted Sokoli last year. Sweezy was a success based on where he was drafted (7th Round). Just staying on the roster makes Sokoli a likely success story based on where he was drafted. Of course, Cable would prefer to have more linemen drafted as high as possible. Zero linemen were drafted above the 7th Round in 2012 and 2013.

Russell4Prez

Reaction score
Sure woulda been nice if he gave us more than two words so we didn't have to speculate whether he meant that Cable was the problem in the first half or the solution in the second half. Funny how it seems to confirm everyone's bias, though.