Matchup to watch: Carpenter vs Star

ivotuk

Reaction score
Lotuleilie is supposed to be an elite talent and James Carpenter is a "road grader" so it will be interesting to see how this battle turns out. I think as long as James stays healthy, he will have the upper hand on Star based solely on NFL experience.

People are talking about the heat and humidity, but that will also effect Carolina's players also. Sure they live there, but they aren't immune. Their light colored uniforms will help, but I think our coaching staff is smart enough to prepare our team for the weather.

On a side note, it seems like it would be more even if the visiting team could choose their uniform color.

And don't freak out if we lose this game, in 2005 when we went on our Superbowl run, we lost 26 - 14, thanks to 2 interceptions, on the 11th of September to Jacksonville in the same kind of conditions. That didn't turn out too bad.

Jac

Reaction score
ivotuk":1mo55xco said:
And don't freak out if we lose this game, in 2005 when we went on our Superbowl run, we lost 26 - 14, thanks to 2 interceptions, on the 11th of September to Jacksonville in the same kind of conditions. That didn't turn out too bad.

That's a really interesting comparison. That Jacksonville loss was really disheartening, because I thought we were really pointed in the right direction after the 2004 division title. And, it turns out, we were.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Remember how Star was supposed to drop out of the first round because of that medical issue?

Yeah right.

Star and Short were beasts in the preseaon against the 1s. It is a significant source of worry to me because we all saw just how well the Rams handled our offense and I think Carolina might have a front 7 equal or better to them.

Carolina is going to be a handful and we have a lot of people hurt and out, or hurt, or out.

That combined with how Russell struggled against GB, ie a defense putting pressure on him, makes me more than a little nervous.

Cartire

Reaction score
Where have you heard that Carp is even starting week 1?

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Cartire":31urz71m said:
He's not starting... but will play.

From Pete's presser a day ago.

Cartire

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":2ix0majg said:
Cartire":2ix0majg said:

Weird, so pete is going to Rotate O-lineman. Interesting....

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
Cartire":wyzl3p4p said:
onanygivensunday":wyzl3p4p said:
Cartire":wyzl3p4p said:

Weird, so pete is going to Rotate O-lineman. Interesting....

Nothing new: he did it last year with Sweezy and Moffitt in some games.

Sturm

Reaction score
I doubt that Carp will play more than a series or two.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":19r4lkmf said:
Star and Short were beasts in the preseaon against the 1s. It is a significant source of worry to me because we all saw just how well the Rams handled our offense and I think Carolina might have a front 7 equal or better to them.

I couldn't disagree more. Carolina's front 7 isn't even close to the Rams. Long and Quinn are absolute monsters off the end and Brockers is pretty damn good. IIRC, the Rams led the league in sacks last year and were 4-1-1 in the division sweeping the 49ers.

It will be interesting to see how both teams fare against the run this year, but as far as overall talent, the Rams have it. Carolina's guys are no slouches with Hardy, Johnson and Edwards is pretty good, but we'll have to see how Star adjusts to the NFL. There's a big difference between who Utah and Carolina play.

John and Star are cousins.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Shadowhawk":21ixqgpp said:

Yeah, really confused me at the time. Kept thinking someone got hurt.

chawx

Reaction score
I watched about every snap from Lotulelei at Utah—and although he didn't particularly dominate every PAC12 linemen—he made everyone else on the line look better than they were. I wish he would have been overlooked when they heard of his minor heart condition, so he could drop to us, but I'm glad he didn't end up in our conference. He'll be a beast in this league for a long time, Unger is going to have to earn that Pro Bowl status and try to single-handedly shut him down to free up our other OLinemen who will have their handsful as it is.

We may not win the trenches in this game, but I think we're built more solid top to bottom and at the skill positions to handle this Panthers team as a whole.

Red Beard

Reaction score
I really liked Short in the draft. When he's not playing lazy, he's as talented as any DT from the draft last year. I will be watching the trenches closely.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Who goes to the bench when Carp rotates in? McQ? Or does McQ slide over to RG when Carp comes in (Sweezy to bench)?

Cartire

Reaction score
Shadowhawk":1j6711bz said:

Yea, because neither had shown enough to walk away with the job.

I dont like thinking that our RG position will not be a carousel as well.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2pdzxzmo said:
Who goes to the bench when Carp rotates in? McQ?
That would be my guess.

I expect Sweezy to play the whole game at RG.

Latest posts