Mathews Penalty

Threedee

Reaction score
I still remember when the Packers went to SF for a season opener, following their loss at Lambeau in the playoffs, and Matthews didn't even try to hide the fact that he was head-hunting for Kaeperpick.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
rcaido":2hjs9hkq said:
Of course they cant stop talking about it on ESPN. Only reason why Seahawks won supposedly.
Begs the question of why you'd watch that shit network anyway. I literally quit them for anything but live events several years ago.

pmedic920

Reaction score
If you watch the play again, and you see the correct angle, you can very clearly see a forearm shove after the initial hit.

Personally I think that secondary “shove” is what drew the flag.

I haven’t seen it broadcast since the game, and I only saw it the one time in slo-mo replay but I saw it very clearly. It’s not surprising that the particular angle in slo-mo isn’t being aired.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
pmedic920":2jin4mqi said:
If you watch the play again, and you see the correct angle, you can very clearly see a forearm shove after the initial hit.

Personally I think that secondary “shove” is what drew the flag.

I haven’t seen it broadcast since the game, and I only saw it the one time in slo-mo replay but I saw it very clearly. It’s not surprising that the particular angle in slo-mo isn’t being aired.

I thought it was the push too at the time; I thought maybe I just didn't know what I was talking about when the announcers and Matthews were making it about the helmets. The push was unnecessary; I don't know if it should be penalized but he shoved him backwards with extra motion after the ball had been released.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
I think we’re grasping at straws here. I try and keep the mindset of “how would I have felt if this call was going against the Hawks?” In this case, I would have been irate. I think it was a poor call, but I don’t feel bad about it going our way. It’s hard enough to win the NFL.

rlkats

Reaction score
sutz":2jvt5etk said:
It was kind of a ticky tack call. Could have gone either way.

But Matthews has a rep for cheap hits on QBs. :Dunno:

Matthews is a POS. He hit QB's dirty all the time then acts like a baby when he gets flagged.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Seanhawk":2l18zyuy said:
I think we’re grasping at straws here. I try and keep the mindset of “how would I have felt if this call was going against the Hawks?” In this case, I would have been irate. I think it was a poor call, but I don’t feel bad about it going our way. It’s hard enough to win the NFL.

I’m not grasping at straws.

I’m 100% serious and being fair as I can.

Many, including Aikman/Buck were focusing on the “not helmet to helmet” aspect. In that situation I’d agree that it was a bad call.
But the shove after the initial hit was “unnecessary” and intentional.

I don’t KNOW why the flag was thrown but if it was because of the “shove”, I agree 100% that it was a good call.

aawolf

Reaction score
Seanhawk":39elqbqx said:

In real time, without the benefit of slow motion to see where the hit landed, I thought it was helmet-to-helmet and I thought it was correct to throw the flag. If it could have been challenged, it would have probably been overturned, but the hit was to the head area and Russel's head did snap back, so in the moment, I thought it was the right call. If it was called the other way from one of our defenders, I'd be upset when I saw the slow motion replay, but I wouldn't be irate and complain to the league office or anything.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Matthews knew Wilson had passed already but still hit him after that, it was unnecessary roughing. It was a hit intended to attempt to punish Wilson, the forearm pop was unnecessary by Matthews and penalized.

Coulda, woulda rubbish from the media, Donald got away with grabbing the face mask of Wilson more than once and the above clip was not the only time he should have been penalized. Because Wilson is a mobile QB he absorbs a lot of uncalled roughing.

This media stuff is postgame whining, the Rams got their chance to win at the end and missed it.

The scoreboard tells the story, they had other chances too, but got beaten.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
The front page article on ESPN today doesn't even make mention it in the summary of the game.

Bad calls only really become the story when they're late in the 4th quarter and clearly extend the game winning drive.
Because the Rams DID have another shot and botched it with a missed field goal, THAT is the story, not the blown call.

As far as the call itself, for stuff like calls and non-calls, I think you always have to defer to unaffected parties. What that means is that what Rams fans or Seahawks fans have to say about the call is uninformative and uninteresting: they're the two most motivated parties. Instead, if you want your answer, you have to look to people who don't have any skin in the game. From that perspective, it is unanimous that it was a very bad call.

If anything I think Hawks fans are lucky that the Rams got another shot and blew it because that's why the bad call isn't the story of this game, and will just be forgotten among everyone except for Rams fans.

jeremiah

Reaction score
blaisio":1y716qlq said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/i/status/1179918077951172608[/tweet]

Here was that hit that wasn't called. For all the rams whiners

I didn't see that one, yeah that was punk.

beaumaris

Reaction score
BubbaGump":3mevtr5x said:
He had a cheap shot on Russ in the back of the head on the play in the first quarter when Brown fumbled. Have them dig that up.
I was really surprised they missed that one.Definite intentional helmet on helmet as I saw it.
Thing is Russ never reacts enough,just gets up and excepts the non call,and gets back into the game.
I thought he was brilliant last night,what a difference when they let Russ be Russ. :irishdrinkers:

Smellyman

Reaction score
It was also FIRST DOWN. They make it sound like it extended the drive or something.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Seanhawk":fou5pg65 said:

This.

This game was a near perfect game for the officials - the Ansah hit on Goff was the right call, we all know you can't hit QBs low these days.

They missed a false start and delay of game in the Rams favor, this roughing call in the Seahawks favor, both teams finished around the same number of penalties - perfect.

People complaining about this one call is stupid - similar to how I felt it was stupid to *only* complain about the no call in the NFCCG. Even after that call the Rams had a chance to stop them and we couldn't get it done, and like I said above, other calls went in our favor.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3phvsxn5 said:
The front page article on ESPN today doesn't even make mention it in the summary of the game.

Bad calls only really become the story when they're late in the 4th quarter and clearly extend the game winning drive.
Because the Rams DID have another shot and botched it with a missed field goal, THAT is the story, not the blown call.

As far as the call itself, for stuff like calls and non-calls, I think you always have to defer to unaffected parties. What that means is that what Rams fans or Seahawks fans have to say about the call is uninformative and uninteresting: they're the two most motivated parties. Instead, if you want your answer, you have to look to people who don't have any skin in the game. From that perspective, it is unanimous that it was a very bad call.

If anything I think Hawks fans are lucky that the Rams got another shot and blew it because that's why the bad call isn't the story of this game, and will just be forgotten among everyone except for Rams fans.

I didn't like the call, but I got over it pretty quickly. We had some stuff go our way too - for some reason, fans often fail to realize that.

I love your comment - feel free to pass that along to Saints fans - the part about "having another shot and botching it".

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Refs were young and inexperienced, they made some other questionable calls as well..That said, you know what, bad call, but it's football, suck it up and move on.

HawkerD

Reaction score
Ramfan128":39ar58u8 said:
Seanhawk":39ar58u8 said:

This.

This game was a near perfect game for the officials - the Ansah hit on Goff was the right call, we all know you can't hit QBs low these days.

They missed a false start and delay of game in the Rams favor, this roughing call in the Seahawks favor, both teams finished around the same number of penalties - perfect.

People complaining about this one call is stupid - similar to how I felt it was stupid to *only* complain about the no call in the NFCCG. Even after that call the Rams had a chance to stop them and we couldn't get it done, and like I said above, other calls went in our favor.

Two great posts. Thanks for keeping it sane.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
jeremiah":e6f8bel1 said:
blaisio":e6f8bel1 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/i/status/1179918077951172608[/tweet]

Here was that hit that wasn't called. For all the rams whiners

I didn't see that one, yeah that was punk.

IMO that's really ticky tacky and a good no call, IMO.

I'd be up in arms if that got called against my team, and feel like I got away with something if it got called against my team's opponent.

dutchman063

Reaction score
It was a bad call, he got alot of calls like that against him while at Green Bay

Latest posts