Mathews Penalty

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
I recorded this game as I was away from my tv and in a watering hole. I watched it again this morning. It was a good call as the post hit was followed thru by an extended shove to the ground by Mathews. He could have faded away and there would have been a no call on the helmet to helmet as it would have been more of an incidental contact rather than an egregious penalty. But NO, he basically slammed RW to the ground after seeing the ball gone. He did not fall on him which I really did expect, but still the method of dropping him to the surface was harsh enough to me to draw the penalty.

There was a play where the front person got to RW and Clay did thump him in the back forcing His head movement to change direction. RW did not see the backstab coming so could not prepare for it. I did not think much of it tho.

Pretty much a good overall game with that final kick sealing the victory.

Boohman14

Reaction score
Jerhawk":1jkrbmji said:
I'm done with the media. They all stink

Maybe you should listen to Mad Dog Russo on SIRUS. He called the Ram's fans and his own producer whiny idiots. He also pointed out the extra shove by Mattews and thought the officials called an even game. He was hard on our i''ll fated play in the closing drive and wondered why we didn't feed Carson. He questioned if Pete learned anything from his Superbowl Loss.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Boohman14":3eioijmd said:
Jerhawk":3eioijmd said:
I'm done with the media. They all stink

Maybe you should listen to Mad Dog Russo on SIRUS. He called the Ram's fans and his own producer whiny idiots. He also pointed out the extra shove by Mattews and thought the officials called an even game. He was hard on our i''ll fated play in the closing drive and wondered why we didn't feed Carson. He questioned if Pete learned anything from his Superbowl Loss.

I'll have to check him out thank you.

It just feels like the media are a bunch of sheep, and they cater to the viewers as if we're a bunch of brainless fools. They're more interested in creating a narrative to sway the public's opinion. I'm done with it all man.

It was a great game and a great win for this team. Its frustrating the national media wants to hype up this one penalty.

The fantom holding on Brockers. The Gurley TD that should've been a delay of game. The earlier dirtier hit by Matthews. Not a peep about any of that.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
HawkGA":3b33cuhj said:
Ramfan128":3b33cuhj said:
This game was a near perfect game for the officials - the Ansah hit on Goff was the right call, we all know you can't hit QBs low these days.

I get that the Ansah play is probably going to get called every time, but it really is a crap call. At some point refs need to make allowances for a player falling to the ground, which is essentially what happened with Ansah. He didn't dive at the knees. Honestly, if I were anywhere close to talented enough to play football, there is no way I would play defense. The league is just too anti-defense with their rules.

Ansah didn't try to avoid contact there, he grabbed his legs and didn't try to move his head or anything out of the way. He made it an easy call for the officials

Mad Dog

Reaction score
WestcoastSteve":34il3bhr said:
HawkGA":34il3bhr said:
Ramfan128":34il3bhr said:
This game was a near perfect game for the officials - the Ansah hit on Goff was the right call, we all know you can't hit QBs low these days.

I get that the Ansah play is probably going to get called every time, but it really is a crap call. At some point refs need to make allowances for a player falling to the ground, which is essentially what happened with Ansah. He didn't dive at the knees. Honestly, if I were anywhere close to talented enough to play football, there is no way I would play defense. The league is just too anti-defense with their rules.

Ansah didn't try to avoid contact there, he grabbed his legs and didn't try to move his head or anything out of the way. He made it an easy call for the officials

Ansah was stumbling. Not sure how you can contort your body in that situation.

Matthews easily could have just pushed Russell. But he dropped his shoulder into him and in real time that’s going to bring your helmet close to the QBs helmet. You’ll get nailed more often than not. Lesson to learn is shove the QBs don’t drill them.

I thought both calls were ticky tack but evened out. I’m just glad the refs didn’t go insane on holding calls.

jmahon316

Reaction score
Mathews is a dirty player, it's so obvious to anyone who's actually seen him play more than a year. He deserves everything that's coming to him.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
I with many of the others here. Meh. Let them whine. They need to talk about something. By laying the game on that play they are diminishing the teams real play. I feel this team does better being underestimated. The team will just keep winning and they can just keep whining.

D

DomeHawk

SoulfishHawk":jlbfipsl said:
Dear God, every damn time we win a game people make excuses. Not some of the time, EVERY time :roll:

iI's a topic of discussion here and in the news, a bit of a controversy, why wouldn't people be talking about it?

jmahon316

Reaction score
I already posted, but I'm going to post again. F*ck Mathews, he's a dirty player that has no place in today's NFL and HE knows it but complains every chance he gets when a justified flag gets thrown because of him. F*ck you Mathews.

penihawk

Reaction score
I think it’s absolutely hilarious that lamb fans have the balls to think they got screwed by a call. Maybe if they had a QB that could throw 4 TDs on 23 throws instead of 43 to throw 1 they would of won the damn game.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
sutz":1f735c8c said:
Hey, credit where it's due. Russ did a pretty good flop there. I'd give it 3 stars at least.

:twisted:

While I agree Russ baited Mathews I don’t Agee Russ flopped, Mathews’ initial contact jarred Russ and he was left unbalanced but probably could have remained upright had Mathews not fully extended his arms and pancaked Russ. That part was the foul and the fact that Mathews showed no attempt in letting up as he was a tick late and just like Blair’s ps penalty Mathews lead with his right shoulder instead of left making the helmet to helmet contact appear more closer than it actually was.

And to reiterate on Ansah, that’s going to be a foul every time but the biggest difference was Mathews was in control and he wanted to demolish Russ where as Ansah was in little control and was stumbling to regain his balance after being blocked into the ground but couldn’t get back upright with Goff simultaneously stepping up to get the throw off due to backside pressure closing in.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Well at least there were several more egregious calls over the weekend on PI and roughing the passer so people will forget the Matthews call.

The love tap that Dak received was particularly bad.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1180993353233715202[/tweet]

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It was a bad call in a series of bad calls for BOTH teams. On that brutal 3rd and 2 play call at the end of the game, there was a BLATANT Facemask on Lockett, no call. There were also pick plays going on all night by the Rams, not one was called. Excuses are for losers, which is what the Rams did, they lost.
Matthews gave him a cheap shot early in the game, it was clear as day, nobody mentioned it.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The press has to have something to talk about. If the Hawks had lost then the chatter would have been about how great the Rams were to come back, and how Pete made timing mistakes. Oh wait, that’s the chatter here.

The whole conversation about referees is becoming tedious, they are getting more media attention than the actual football. The whole we would have won except for the refereeing is starting to be the conversation about football instead of the great play of some players.

The national media would rather the flash team from LA won instead of the Hawks, fits their marketing better. As a Seahawks fan I’m just enjoying the W.

It’s all crap!

Now onto Cleveland, who will be unlikely to turn the ball over as much early to us as they did to the Digits.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yep, been enjoying the win every day. Red Zone after a win on Thursday was even better and more relaxing.
I think the Browns game is gonna' be a battle. Road game against an angry and desperate team with a lot of talent, and a lot to prove.

Torc

Reaction score
Matthews has always seemed to be offended by a QB who can escape him. I don't know if he plays that way against other teams but in any Packers/Seahawks game in years past you can point to several plays where he delivered an extra blow to Russell, usually unflagged.

jmahon316

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":euq8wsxf said:
Yet he was the same guy who told Colin K "you're no Russell Wilson, Bro"
So, I did like that.....

No way...I really hope there's video evidence of this, going to try to find it now.

Latest posts