Matt Corral

Fade

Reaction score
[youtube]OCx_ek5uxIc[/youtube]

Pete Carroll -> Kiffin connection. Is this the guy they want or what?

ivotuk

Reaction score
It's easy to fall in love with these guys, but I don't feel any of the QBs in this draft match up to the Defensive Talent available.

Give me Jermaine Johnson in the 1st, and if I'm lucky, Perrion Winfrey in the 2nd. If JJ's gone at 9, trade back.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I have a sneaking suspicion that this guy is going to be the pick. Just a random feeling, there is also the connection with Lane Kiffin if that means anything. I've heard about the Seahawks really looking at him as well.

sutz

Reaction score
Heard some talk on radio today while driving around. Jake and Stacy, maybe. Anyway, he was saying that Corral was a "Seahawks style" QB that might flourish here. Sounded interesting but as was said above, draft picks are crap shoots and our recent record hasn't been stellar.

I guess we'll have a month to argue it out. :rumble:

toffee

Reaction score
Fade":132w31js said:
[youtube]OCx_ek5uxIc[/youtube]

Pete Carroll -> Kiffin connection. Is this the guy they want or what?

Too bad the timing was off for Ole Miss, imagine they had DK, AJ, and Corral? That said, we could have Corral and DK, next season. Heck, trade for AJ and we can have all three. A scrambling QB, an elite slot and DK, wait, is AJ an elite slot WR?

sutz

Reaction score
Well, you watch that highlight reel and he looks very Russell-like. :mrgreen:

nanomoz

Reaction score
ivotuk":3k8ed9en said:
It's easy to fall in love with these guys, but I don't feel any of the QBs in this draft match up to the Defensive Talent available.

Give me Jermaine Johnson in the 1st, and if I'm lucky, Perrion Winfrey in the 2nd. If JJ's gone at 9, trade back.

I expect the first pick will be defensive or offensive line. Even after trading back a few spots. I think if Johnson or Thibodeaux is there they have to take them, though. But who knows with Pete and John.

I would have bet my IRA that they'd draft Jonathan Taylor in 2020 if he was there.

I wouldn't be pissed if they pick Abraham Lucas or another top OT. There's some pretty good ones. And they need one or two. Especially if Brown isn't re-signed.

Free agency should tell us a lot.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
His highlights looks good but i don't see any pressure in those highlights he is going against 3 man rushes lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

James in PA

Reaction score
What if both Corral and Malik "Wha'choo talkin' 'bout" Willis are there at 9?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chawker

Reaction score
The down side of drafting a QB so early is when its time to resign his contract its going to cost us.

Smart money would invest in a OL or a saftiy, we have needs for both. Its a Walter and Earl thing.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
I like Corral. He has great traits but he's such a tough evaluation because of the Lane Kiffin offense.

I would not be upset by this pick so long as there is a bridge to let him sit for some time behind a proven starter.

ivotuk

Reaction score
After looking at all 3, Corral, Pickett, Willis, I'm leaning Willis.

I worry about Pickett's small (Dave Krieg size) hands, and Corral playing in a system. Although Willis played against fairly weak teams, he looked good in the Senior Bowl.

Football Outsiders Top 40

#10 Malik Willis Age: 22 Height: 6'1" Weight: 215 Class: RS Senior

Malik has the strongest arm in the quarterback class – Carson Strong is not even in the same category – and impressed at the Senior Bowl with his presence and poise on and off the field.

...a strong Senior Bowl week should put to bed any lingering concerns that his skills would not translate to the NFL level.

...Willis can throw the deep out, sees the field well, finds secondary targets and adds value as a burly/shifty option runner and scramb

#24 Kenny Pickett Age: 23 Height: 6'2" Weight: 225 Class: RS Senior

There are shades of the young Andy Dalton in Pickett’s game. Don’t snicker: Dalton threw 20 touchdown passes, led the Bengals to the playoffs and made the Pro Bowl as a rookie in 2011.

Malik Willis has the higher upside, but Pickett is more likely to be making headlines in September.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/fo40

Yxes1122

Reaction score
I know this probably will not happen, but I am talking myself into Carson Strong.

Assuming his medicals checked out at the combine, he could be a steal on Day 2.

I love his pocket movement his arm strength (Playing on 1 Leg) is great (& should be better when healthy), he makes line checks, consistently wins against 2-High Shells, and played through injury against the advice of his dad and doctor for his teammates.

He's not athletic and he has major red flags, but I can see a traditional high end Pocket QB in his game.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
ivotuk":1q4xa4fu said:

I worry about Pickett's small (Dave Krieg size) hands, and Corral playing in a system. Although Willis played against fairly weak teams, he looked good in the Senior Bowl.

Malik has the strongest arm in the quarterback class – Carson Strong is not even in the same category – and impressed at the Senior Bowl with his presence and poise on and off the field.

...a strong Senior Bowl week should put to bed any lingering concerns that his skills would not translate to the NFL level.

...Willis can throw the deep out, sees the field well, finds secondary targets and adds value as a burly/shifty option runner and scramb

There are shades of the young Andy Dalton in Pickett’s game. Don’t snicker: Dalton threw 20 touchdown passes, led the Bengals to the playoffs and made the Pro Bowl as a rookie in 2011.

Malik Willis has the higher upside, but Pickett is more likely to be making headlines in September.

Not a big fan of Willis, of the footage i've seen, he's extremely athletic and has a cannon of an arm. Willis also has a decent amount of accuracy. Really good at making those big time throws. Unfortunately, other than that the guy is raw. Trey Lance was an extremely raw prospect coming out, this guy is even more unrefined than even Trey Lance was. He is a one read and take off type of player. His footwork, and pocket presence is a hot mess and i think he's going to be a turnover machine in the NFL for at least a few years. He also doesn't anticipate throws or do well on timing routes.

His game is a total mess filled with some eye popping wow moments. He's not the type of QB that you take and expect to start day one. His upside is tempting, but honestly I feel much more comfortable with Corral than I do Willis out of the gate. I really feel as if Carral is the guy that Carroll is targeting. He's been seen hanging with him at the combine.

The issue with this class is that all of the QB's are extremely raw. Huge athletic talent, but not a whole lot of refinement. Strong is probably the most NFL ready off of the get go, but he has huge concerns about his knee. We're talking cartilage issues. Not a great year to move on from Russell Wilson.

Rat

Reaction score
ivotuk":fl1pm0dd said:

How close to them do you think Howell is? I've been really warming up to him.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":32wc0fdp said:
ivotuk":32wc0fdp said:

Not a big fan of Willis, of the footage i've seen, he's extremely athletic and has a cannon of an arm. Willis also has a decent amount of accuracy. Really good at making those big time throws. Unfortunately, other than that the guy is raw. Trey Lance was an extremely raw prospect coming out, this guy is even more unrefined than even Trey Lance was. He is a one read and take off type of player. His footwork, and pocket presence is a hot mess and i think he's going to be a turnover machine in the NFL for at least a few years. He also doesn't anticipate throws or do well on timing routes.

His game is a total mess filled with some eye popping wow moments. He's not the type of QB that you take and expect to start day one. His upside is tempting, but honestly I feel much more comfortable with Corral than I do Willis out of the gate. I really feel as if Carral is the guy that Carroll is targeting. He's been seen hanging with him at the combine.

The issue with this class is that all of the QB's are extremely raw. Huge athletic talent, but not a whole lot of refinement. Strong is probably the most NFL ready off of the get go, but he has huge concerns about his knee. We're talking cartilage issues. Not a great year to move on from Russell Wilson.

I think you sit him for a year let him learn the NFL he'll be great you rush him in there it could be problematic. His accuracy ability to extend the play and the fact he can brake down a defense with his legs is special. He's also got a quick release and a great arm.

gmor

Reaction score
This is probably our guy going forward. Has performed well on every level especially against the SEC.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of Corral myself.

Too slight, injury prone, isn't going to enjoy the same pocket protection as he enjoyed at Ole Miss. Zach Wilson at BYU enjoyed something similar. And Corral isn't as gifted as Zach Wilson.

But as soon as Russell Wilson got traded. I immediately recalled Pete meeting with the Kiffin's at the combine and Matt Corral introducing himself to Pete.

FNWgvCsXEAQbsgWformatjpgname900x900

WarHawks

Reaction score
His highlight vid is full of darts over the middle, which is great, but I only saw one long ball, and no scrambling or evading pressure pr even climbing the pocket very much. Not sold.

Latest posts