Matt Flynn

mikeak

Reaction score
^ and the release by the Bills after THREE weeks?

Yes I realize they released TJack as well who I deem to be a servicable backup mainly because of our system

OP
OP
B

BlueBlood

Reaction score
mikeak":2j55rtkf said:
^ and the release by the Bills after THREE weeks?

Yes I realize they released TJack as well who I deem to be a servicable backup mainly because of our system

Because they are enamored with the mobile quarterback as well. RG3, RW3 and Luck have changed the game and teams are/were trying to catch lightning in a bottle. I think theyll find soon enough, and some already are (Oakland) that just because your qb can run doesnt make him Russell Wilson.

I believe, whether its worth anything or not, that Flynn "might" be better than people think but that hes just not been givin much of an opportunity to get comfortable.

Funny how some people like to talk about the value of chemistry and how much better that can make a quarterback look. Having time to work and grow with your peers seems to be the rule when evaluating whether a quarterback can is going to fit. Unless of course, youre Matt Flynn.

Which is why I asked orginally what the problem might be. I dont think for a second that its as simple as "hes just not good enough." That argument is lazy at best.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Flynn should just be glad he had that one great game for GB at the end of the 2011 season. It made him $14.5 million richer. And he has a team that is comfortable with him as a backup.

As you say, if he had serious potential to be a starter, then it's likely one of those QB poor teams would be taking a harder look at him.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Throwdown":3ckkuucf said:
TJack > Flynn

No doubt about that. Jackson's athleticism and comfort in the Seahawks system gives him the major edge as the trusted backup in the event that the unthinkable happens. And I'm sure GB likes Flynn more than Jackson because of their comfort with him in their particular system, even if he is radically inconsistent.

OP
OP
B

BlueBlood

Reaction score
hawknation2014":25eiqdv0 said:
Throwdown":25eiqdv0 said:
TJack > Flynn

No doubt about that. Jackson's athleticism and comfort in the Seahawks system gives him the major edge as the trusted backup in the event that the unthinkable happens. And I'm sure GB likes Flynn more than Jackson because of their comfort with him in their particular system, even if he is radically inconsistent.

Obviously the coaching staff didnt agree with that. After all he was the back up to Wilson not TJack. I like TJack but that deal they signed Flynn for was starter money and he wasnt going to be the starter and there interest from Oakland for Flynn and other teams at the time.

OP
OP
B

BlueBlood

Reaction score
hawknation2014":53ahlki4 said:
Flynn should just be glad he had that one great game for GB at the end of the 2011 season. It made him $14.5 million richer. And he has a team that is comfortable with him as a backup.

As you say, if he had serious potential to be a starter, then it's likely one of those QB poor teams would be taking a harder look at him.

Hes had several not good, but outstanding games as a starter. Some starters in the league have never had even a single outstanding game.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Flynn's problem is not his ability or talent it is something in his attitude and/or lack of leadership. The guy wants to be a 9-5 M-F QB. Not willing to put in the work even when he see's a 3rd round phenom tearing the lid off. Instead he just seems to assume he deserves it. Maybe it's entitlement, I don't really know but there is no question the guy has been dumped multiple times for something that stands out pretty clearly to the teams dumping him and it's not his stats.

He really is a mystery because anyone that outs up his numbers would have a job unless there is something else preventing it. I don't feel bad for him, if he hasn't figured it out with all the chances he has been given then he probably never will.

OP
OP
B

BlueBlood

Reaction score
RichNhansom":269scxe1 said:
Flynn's problem is not his ability or talent it is something in his attitude and/or lack of leadership. The guy wants to be a 9-5 M-F QB. Not willing to put in the work even when he see's a 3rd round phenom tearing the lid off. Instead he just seems to assume he deserves it. Maybe it's entitlement, I don't really know but there is no question the guy has been dumped multiple times for something that stands out pretty clearly to the teams dumping him and it's not his stats.

He really is a mystery because anyone that outs up his numbers would have a job unless there is something else preventing it. I don't feel bad for him, if he hasn't figured it out with all the chances he has been given then he probably never will.

I feel the same exact way. Something is up with the guy that cant be seen by fans. All of these ideas that hes just not good enough to play are lame. The guy can clearly play, something is missing.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
BlueBlood":3nvbs12g said:
hawknation2014":3nvbs12g said:

Hes had several not good, but outstanding games as a starter. Some starters in the league have never had even a single outstanding game.

What do you consider "outstanding games" for a starting QB? He has just one 300-yard passing game in his career; the famous 2011 season finale for GB in which they sat Aaron Rodgers.

Did you watch him give away those games against Detroit and Pittsburg? If this guy was even half-way plausible as a starting QB, don't you think someone would have signed him by now?

I can only conclude you have a very overrated sense of Matt Flynn's abilities as a starting QB.

Throwdown

Reaction score
BlueBlood":lmbb48eq said:
hawknation2014":lmbb48eq said:
Throwdown":lmbb48eq said:
TJack > Flynn

Obviously the coaching staff didnt agree with that. After all he was the back up to Wilson not TJack. I like TJack but that deal they signed Flynn for was starter money and he wasnt going to be the starter and there interest from Oakland for Flynn and other teams at the time.

That was the going rate for Flynn at the time. We had to find the franchise guy, they brought him in and that's all history. TJack is better than him, but neither are starting caliber QBs.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
BlueBlood":333xmkg8 said:
RichNhansom":333xmkg8 said:

I feel the same exact way. Something is up with the guy that cant be seen by fans. All of these ideas that hes just not good enough to play are lame. The guy can clearly play, something is missing.

Can't be seen by some fans, apparently. :roll:

The dude is inconsistent and does not elevate his team. Add in the very real possibility that his drive/motivation may not be at a level most NFL teams desire, and that's a recipe for jumping around and quickly wearing out your welcome in multiple locations.

OP
OP
B

BlueBlood

Reaction score
hawknation2014":ry5zr20c said:
BlueBlood":ry5zr20c said:
hawknation2014":ry5zr20c said:

What do you consider "outstanding games" for a starting QB? He has just one 300-yard passing game in his career; the famous 2011 season finale for GB in which they sat Aaron Rodgers.

Did you watch him give away those games against Detroit and Pittsburg? If this guy was even half-way plausible as a starting QB, don't you think someone would have signed him by now?

I can only conclude you have a very overrated sense of Matt Flynn's abilities as a starting QB.[/

480 yards and 6 vs Green Bay
299 yards 4 tds vs Dallas
250 yards 3 tds vs New England

Those are all outstanding games. The guy only has a handful of starts.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
BlueBlood":2tpxas5p said:
480 yards and 6 vs Green Bay
299 yards 4 tds vs Dallas
250 yards 3 tds vs New England

Those are all outstanding games. The guy only has a handful of starts.

That New England game was a loss in part because Flynn threw an ugly pick-six, had terrible time management in casually walking up to the line of scrimmage as the final seconds ran off the clock, and then lost a fumble on the final play. He had his moments in that game, but the positive ones were offset by the inconsistent or lackadaisical moments. It's hard to call that an "outstanding" game, though it was a decent game for a backup.

For every good game, there is a bad one for Flynn.

drdiags

Reaction score
Flynn might not be a good practice player. He may need the live game action to get him in a flow? Who knows? Coaches are big on practice and how the QB leads off and on the field. It appears that something in the intangibles is working against him. He may not have the strongest arm but he functions okay in the Packers offense.

Just not with Oakland and Seattle. Two former Packer FO types took a chance on him with their new clubs but the coaches, not feeling that loyalty, deemed him incapable of doing what they needed on the field. He should remain with the Packers, I thought I read they were considering re-signing him? Maybe he gets another chance to start in a few years as a bridge QB?

Or maybe he just hangs them up and moves on with his life? Best of luck to him, I think he can work in the right system as a starter though not at a Pro-Bowl level.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
You guys are probably digging too deep for answers. Matt Flynn certainly has talent and at times he has the closer mentality. His negative side likely remains as it was with the hawks which is his recurring elbow tendinitis/injury and the idea that he can't finish a full season. Matt continues to look for a starter role and salary but has only proven to be good in spot duty when surrounded with great talent in a WC offense.
His average mobility and elbow issues are the biggest issues IMO.

Donn2390

Reaction score
I was all for him when he arrived here, but after watching him and listening to him over the course of the season, I'm simply amazed he is still in the league. He is and was an aberration... Hope he studied in college so he can find a job...

Basis4day

Reaction score
BlueBlood":1m4b5jsv said:
hawknation2014":1m4b5jsv said:
Throwdown":1m4b5jsv said:
TJack > Flynn

Flynn had 10 million in guaranteed money when he was brought on board. That has a lot to do with why Flynn remained on the roster that first year. Even if they liked Tjack better, they couldn't justify eating 10 million to cut Flynn before Wilson had proved himself. No team was going to trade for that when the Dolphins were the only team showing interest in FA and they ended up drafting Ryan Tannehill.