Matt Hasselbeck Retires as a Seattle Seahawk

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I think it was during training camp his second year with the Seahawks. It appeared he had been beaten out by Dilfer. I figured at the time he was going to be just another one of those guys who goes quietly into the night. When they trained in Cheney I used to go to 2-3 practices a week. Ah, the good old days! Anyway it was near the end of practice and I was just standing by the fence, by myself when Hasselbeck walked up to me and asked if I wanted an autograph. Being the brilliant prognosticator of players furure success, I just looked at him and said, nah. He shrugged his shoulders and walked off. I like to think that I was his motivation for getting back the starting position and the impetus for an 18 year career.

drdiags

Reaction score
Maybe I am missing something but all I see is the reference to the Softy interview. Doesn't mean the team has scheduled this to happen. Just that Matt thought it was a 'no brainer'. Shouldn't this be happening within the next few days? Usually I thought this happened early in the new calendar year.

I gather it will happen but I need pictures of Matt grinning and signing the contract.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2hx1j309 said:
And so begins what will be a great career in broadcasting.

Hope he retires with us.

You hope? Dude, he was our starter for several years, and took us to the SB. Where else comes close?

Seanhawk

Reaction score
EmeraldRaven":1jzc6u13 said:
GReat to know, when I started watching the Hawks Hasslebeck and Julius Jones were literally all the offense was for the most part.... okay mostly Julius Jones but still, 08/09 is long time ago now, in a couple years 08 will be a decade ago... crazy, nostalgia.

Laugh. Out. Loud. The only thing Julius Jones was "mostly" of was a heaping pile of crap.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
drdiags":2bsu1l3k said:
Maybe I am missing something but all I see is the reference to the Softy interview. Doesn't mean the team has scheduled this to happen. Just that Matt thought it was a 'no brainer'. Shouldn't this be happening within the next few days? Usually I thought this happened early in the new calendar year.

I gather it will happen but I need pictures of Matt grinning and signing the contract.

You are not missing anything Doc.

The title of the thread is misleading. He did not retire as a Seattle Seahawk. He said he would like to but thats up to the team to make it happen. So far they havent made it happen.

The thread title is inaccurate.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I love Matt. He surpassed Steve Largent as my favorite seahawk (although Russ has now passed Hass). That being said I've never understood the whole sign a one day contract and retire a ______ thing. It won't make me love him more or remember him more fondly. Maybe I'm just jaded and cynical, but what's the point?