MB on Pete Carroll

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I'm amazed at how spoiled this fan base has become. How quickly they forget the numerous years of mediocre play.

Seymour

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":l75gcn21 said:
I'm amazed at how spoiled this fan base has become. How quickly they forget the numerous years of mediocre play.

Huh??
When was that exactly? :twisted: :twisted:

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":102czutq said:

I dont think anyone has forgotten.

People are lamenting (some in what I see as really naive ways) the drop off in the team's success the last 4 years. There is no denying that has happened. It's the why that is in discussion.

I am amazed at how easily people discount what the team accomplished and how difficult and rare sustainable success in the NFL really is.

Joshoeuh

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1rvbge0y said:

I think most remember, and don’t want it to happen again.

It amazes me that we aren’t allowed to question anything, apparently.

Seymour

Reaction score
Joshoeuh":3dqnr1i4 said:
SoulfishHawk":3dqnr1i4 said:

I think most remember, and don’t want it to happen again.

It amazes me that we aren’t allowed to question anything, apparently.

Oh, you can question it. Just that you are labeled "a spoiled 12" once you do.

What is worse is when someone agree's with you, that then taints the entire 12 fanbase as spoiled. :roll:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Hey, it is what it is. A good portion of the fan base has gotten spoiled. It happens w/winning teams. It's nothing personal, it's just reality. Obviously this is a very important draft for these guys. A lot of work to do. I didn't say the entire fan base was spoiled, just a good portion of it. Big deal, it comes with success, which is a good thing. Don't like my opinion, scroll on by :2thumbs:
It's gonna' be ok, we all have our own way of looking at it. And hell yes, it's extremely difficult to maintain success in the NFL. This turnover, revamp, rebuild...whatever you want to call it, was bound to happen at some point.

Seymour

Reaction score
Me thinks that some here confuse people that are unhappy with an outstanding roster that under performed, and being spoiled.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1uhg8p70 said:
This league is about winning, winning immediately. PC did that. If his approach isn't sustainable its hypocritical to ask him to change when it works. What he needed to do was change the players. What do you think Belichek's approach will be when Brady leaves?

I think he leaves too, or maybe sooner if the Pats start to unravel a little this year.

But that's my point, I think Pete and John learned through the last couple of years that it's impossible to keep a core group of players around with Pete's coaching style.

You either have to be 100% cutthroat like Belichick, or turn the roster over and over drafting and acquiring new moldable players that will buy into what Pete's preaching.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":30khmmcg said:
Uncle Si":30khmmcg said:
This league is about winning, winning immediately. PC did that. If his approach isn't sustainable its hypocritical to ask him to change when it works. What he needed to do was change the players. What do you think Belichek's approach will be when Brady leaves?

I think he leaves too, or maybe sooner if the Pats start to unravel a little this year.

But that's my point, I think Pete and John learned through the last couple of years that it's impossible to keep a core group of players around with Pete's coaching style.

You either have to be 100% cutthroat like Belichick, or turn the roster over and over drafting and acquiring new moldable players that will buy into what Pete's preaching.

This i totally agree with. PC and JS may have learned just a little too late for this cycle that they needed to cut bait at 2nd contracts on some players.

They were probably too loyal to players (and coaches) to a fault

Joshoeuh

Reaction score
“If you don’t like my opinion, scroll on by” is the heart of what we’re talking about here. It seems that if there’s a varying opinion about anything related to the Seahawks’ direction, keep it to yourself. No point in having a discusssion on a forum.

I’m not a doom and gloomer. I’ve loved the Seahawks since I was a child. And I’m from Kentucky, so I’ve basically always been alone in that. It’s hard cheering for a perennial 6-10 team in a Pittsburgh market. You get a lot of funny looks. Pete and John have tremendous knowledge. I just worry that they got too confident and felt they had the Midas touch.

The draft is a crapshoot. Sure things sometimes don’t pan out (I’m looking at you, Aaron Curry). I just want to see some talent accumulated that gives some hope. Malik McDowell was a freak thing, but man. That hurts.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I'm just messing around, that's part of being on here. We can mess w/each other, have differing opinions. It's what makes a site great, having good debate. It's not personal, it's just talking football on a website. It's a message board, it's not the be all end all of life.
Go Hawks

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Seymour":di6byt06 said:
Me thinks that some here confuse people that are unhappy with an outstanding roster that under performed, and being spoiled.

thank goodness we have people on here willing to point all this out

Joshoeuh

Reaction score
And if it seems like I’m taking anything personal, I’m not. It’s just a slow day at the office.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Same here, just trying to kill some time before the draft while "working" :2thumbs:
And the draft absolutely is a crap shoot. It's hard to truly tell if a draft was a good one for a couple years. I guess I just don't understand all the negativity all the time, but I've gotten used to it. There's no right or wrong, just how people look at things.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1cufbfe6 said:
Seymour":1cufbfe6 said:

thank goodness we have people on here willing to point all this out

LOL :p

mrt144

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":loclwzov said:
Uncle Si":loclwzov said:

Perhaps Pete's relative experience with the NFL shaded his impression of what he could accomplish long term - whereas the NCAA put in structural limits to player tenure, in the NFL it comes down to a value judgment from the coaching/FO apparatus. Perhaps Pete wanted to have it all for as long as he could with the players he knew were performers, even if there were diminishing returns on buy in by those same players over time.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
mrt144":1amtslde said:
Sgt. Largent":1amtslde said:
Uncle Si":1amtslde said:

Perhaps Pete's relative experience with the NFL shaded his impression of what he could accomplish long term - whereas the NCAA put in structural limits to player tenure, in the NFL it comes down to a value judgment from the coaching/FO apparatus. Perhaps Pete wanted to have it all for as long as he could with the players he knew were performers, even if there were diminishing returns on buy in by those same players over time.

its a good point.. College put its own natural boundaries on PCs approach

Fade

Reaction score
hawknation2018":1x2jb1on said:
Fade":1x2jb1on said:
I would love to see Pete removed from the offensive side of the ball.

The offensive side of the ball is already the area where Carroll has asserted the least influence. All he wants is for the offense to be good at both running and throwing the ball. Unfortunately, the previous offensive coordinator just wasn't any good. The one thing I will say about Schottenheimer is that his style of play is a lot more physical, much less finesse than the previous regime.

Pete has spoken many times about this in the past. He used to be hands off on offense, then at USC he seized control and became heavily involved on the offensive side of the ball, and he brought that with him to the Seahawks. It's why he hires yes man OCs, Pete wants it done his way, and he is "heavily involved" with the offense. His words not mine. I would love to pull up the exact interviews for you as he has said this a few times over the years, but it's buried in the .com archives if you're patient enough to look for it.

We will see how much has changed with Bevell gone, but I surmise the team will play overly conservative in the 1st half, consistently run into loaded boxes when a swing pass can get you an easy 4-6 yds. Be heavy on deep vertical routes, with no intermediate, or check down options. It's the way Pete wants to play, it's the style he likes.