McDowell Sued by the Seahawks

HawkGA

Reaction score
jammerhawk":2eobvu93 said:
It's a waste of time and effort b/c he's judgment proof.

I'm not sure why you think he is judgement proof. He certainly has earning potential, even if it's not in the league, he'll have to earn money doing something. He likely hasn't spent all of his signing bonus yet, and if he has, he probably has assets to show for it (though likely depreciating assets). He'll have to earn a living for most of the rest of his life. That leaves him open to garnishment.

Now, will the Seahawks get all of their money back? Not necessarily, but it's certainly not a definite no. But it is an important step to take. If players start to think they can take their signing bonus and just walk off, well, that would change things considerably.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":390zedoq said:
Good for the club. It's the right thing to do. Sets a precedent should the Seahawks have another "McDowell" in their future... hopefully not.

Agreed; preventative maintenance.

mrt144

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":1l8775i8 said:
Good for the club. It's the right thing to do. Sets a precedent should the Seahawks have another "McDowell" in their future... hopefully not.

Punitive measures do not deter arrogance.

12HawkFan

Reaction score
The Seahawks were awarded the money by an arbitrator back in February and he appealed it and didn't even show up for his court date, he knew he would lose is my guess.

Hawks won by default, open and shut judgement that can not be appealed.

It's 100% over and he lost the bonus he is just proving again what a complete tool he really is.

GO HAWKS!!!

jammerhawk":1sovzngu said:
It's a waste of time and effort b/c he's judgment proof.

He'll avoid paying it back, or won't have any ability to do so.

In principle if he had the $ of course it's the right thing to do. However, I predict an empty judgment.

I agree that it is the right thing to do as far as setting the precedent. Now it's an on the record situation we may find out the real story about what happened. It's now clear why there has been a wall of silence around this matter, arbitration now litigation.

The only ones who will get any return here are the lawyers.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2co2a6w5 said:
JayhawkMike":2co2a6w5 said:
In a league hypersensitive to concussion issues a team doctor clearing a player with head injuries to play seems like a big risk for the doctor and maybe the team.

Bingo.

With everything we now know about CTE, and more importantly with all these new class action lawsuits with ex-players suing the league, I HIGHLY doubt McDowell is going to find a team to medically clear him.

It doesn't matter how many personal doctors he gets to clear him, all that matters is the decision of the team doctors. Maybe McDowell and his agent/doctors can contest the decision? Idk, but the league's never going to take the word of personal doctors over their own team doctors that were vetted and are protected under the league's insurance policies.

Not sure how you can contest medical opinion. It’s called opinion for a reason. All you can do as a judge is listen to the opinion and decide whose to trust more. I suspect judges will be more conservative about clearing a head injured patient to play a contact sport.

You’d think though that there could be a medical waiver that states the player assumes all risks of employment including CTE. It is his life. If he wants to be depressed and demented in 20 years, shouldn’t he be allowed to. We haven’t banned tobacco and alcohol yet and they also cause numerous delayed consequences.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Mad Dog":1dsh28xu said:
Sgt. Largent":1dsh28xu said:
JayhawkMike":1dsh28xu said:
In a league hypersensitive to concussion issues a team doctor clearing a player with head injuries to play seems like a big risk for the doctor and maybe the team.

Bingo.

With everything we now know about CTE, and more importantly with all these new class action lawsuits with ex-players suing the league, I HIGHLY doubt McDowell is going to find a team to medically clear him.

It doesn't matter how many personal doctors he gets to clear him, all that matters is the decision of the team doctors. Maybe McDowell and his agent/doctors can contest the decision? Idk, but the league's never going to take the word of personal doctors over their own team doctors that were vetted and are protected under the league's insurance policies.

Not sure how you can contest medical opinion. It’s called opinion for a reason. All you can do as a judge is listen to the opinion and decide whose to trust more. I suspect judges will be more conservative about clearing a head injured patient to play a contact sport.

You’d think though that there could be a medical waiver that states the player assumes all risks of employment including CTE. It is his life. If he wants to be depressed and demented in 20 years, shouldn’t he be allowed to. We haven’t banned tobacco and alcohol yet and they also cause numerous delayed consequences.

I assume everything's contestable in the NFL, it's why Richard Sherman's positive drug test got overturned, and why Tom Brady fought cellgate all the way til the end. So why couldn't McDowell and his attorneys sue the NFL to reinstate him and take the league to court if they have to?

As far as your 2nd point, why would the NFL ever agree to allowing injured players sign waivers to play? It's a lose lose. There is no lack of good players to keep their game popular and the league rolling in the money, so why even entertain allowing something that may or may not hold up in court down the line if a player decides to fight the waiver after a serious injury.

No reason to do that.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I stand corrected, on my worthless law suit remark. My comment was ill informed on the money part.

Here is an article on the subject that somewhat clarifies the financial part of this story. McDowell will forever keep the cause of this secret.
https://www.fieldgulls.com/2019/5/31/18 ... ning-bonus

The article reveals there is money to be executed against and some hope the Seahawks won’t make this POS human a millionaire. Even then getting $800 K from the team for the very little he did is wrong. McDowell will likely have very little left after paying his agent, lawyers, and buying his bling. To me he brought this on himself, was not open about what happened, and has revealed his lack of character by his subsequent behaviour. At this point the team has a non-appealable judgment which has been confirmed by the Suprior Court in Michigan. McDowell owes the judgment plus costs and fees. Looks like attachment proceedings will follow.

In the end all the negatives written about McDowell were realized. The team made an expensive mistake in drafting this player and it hurt the team. I hope he winds up with zippo after the bonus money is clawed back.worthless player, Worthless player, even more worthless human, revealed as just another pampered athlete who’s character fails to match he his athletic ability. Let’s hope that type of mistake is not made again.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
No human is worthless seems like you're just enjoying your personal indignation a bit too much.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":1gx7h944 said:
No human is worthless seems like you're just enjoying your personal indignation a bit too much.

I disagree.
There are worthless humans. Pedophiles and rapists come to mind.

Donn2390

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":39ejojle said:
As of this point in his life,he has proved to be worthless. He is young and has plenty of time to change that, it's all up to him, but his past history make success look like a long shot...
I pulled for him to make it for as long as I could, but he continued to bite the hand that fed him and made screw up after screw up. Perhaps some day he will reach maturity and become a man, one can only hope.
I doubt he will ever again play football and make the big bucks, I also doubt that any degree he may have been given (Notice I didn't say earned) will provide him with any decent income, so he is going to have to make some major changes in his attitude, work habits, and his life style to attain any degree of success. Without any major changes, he has failure written all over him..

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":2eqohemx said:

I’m sure his mother thinks he’s special. Unfortunately with great respect I disagree with you and that is rare. There are lots of worthless people, some are pure evil too.

Perhaps I am exercising personal indignation but McDowell demonstrated a singular lack of character after his accident and is just another self important indulged athlete who’s character fails to match his athletic ability. To me he was worthless and a wasted pick, somehow I doubt he is heard from again. Hope he gets stripped of his bonus or his bonus or what is left of it.

Somehow though I doubt the team gets paid back.

HawaiiD

Reaction score
This assclown hasnt even played a single down with the Seahawks.
What in the hell is he even thinking that even 1 cent of that bonus is his?
I hope he ends up working at Mcdonlads.

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

chris98251

Reaction score
He has to argue things the way he is, Our Doctors would not pass him, his did, Cowboys have not signed him either as of yet, something isn't right.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
chris98251":2a0rcisy said:
He has to argue things the way he is, Our Doctors would not pass him, his did, Cowboys have not signed him either as of yet, something isn't right.
I would love *allas to sign him. They already have a mental midget in EE, why not have another.
Maybe they sign Johnny Manziel as well and they can have the “3 stooges”.

The Breh

Reaction score
Threads like this highlight the amount of xxxxxxxxx we got around here.
Young man got into an ATV accident and will live his life under the scope until its repaid.
The comments in here sound like y'all are taking this personally. When the man got into an ATV accident and screwed *his* own future up.
He is an age a high majority of us would love to be.
He is not a lost cause at his age but pitchforks in here presuming and hoping he is.
Shame on y'all.
Russ would be disappointed as hell reading all this condescending bullshit.

Donn2390

Reaction score
The Breh":269ktyd1 said:
Threads like this highlight the amount of xxxxxxxxx we got around here.
Young man got into an ATV accident and will live his life under the scope until its repaid.
The comments in here sound like y'all are taking this personally. When the man got into an ATV accident and screwed *his* own future up.
He is an age a high majority of us would love to be.
He is not a lost cause at his age but pitchforks in here presuming and hoping he is.
Shame on y'all.
Russ would be disappointed as hell reading all this condescending bullshit.
I believe a great many people are taking it personally, his little stunt cost a whole lot of collateral damage, way more than just losing a first round pick. People are angry and hurt because of all of this damage and do want to see him pay for his crimes, it's only natural. This wouldn't be such a big deal were he a later round draft pick, the damage wouldn't have been nearly as costly and would have been soon forgotten.
As for his future, if he would have invested his money wisely he would be set, he would only need a mediocre job to live well, Now he has no income and (probably) no money to invest.
As far as his future in pro football, I can't believe any team would touch him no matter how many waivers he gets. CTE is real and he has a great head start, just way too much risk... If a team were to pick him up now and he suffered a serious injury, they would never live it down.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
It was a second round pick. The Seahawks got the same value out of this 2nd rounder than they did out of Andre Hines, Owen Gill and Anton Palepoi and those guys got to live their lives with normal health.

Yeah the whole thing sucks but a few people need to stop taking it so damn personal.

Latest posts