McGill, Obum, Lambert and Staten claimed

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I have a feeling that we're going to see Lambert do well for Norton even if it's next year. He proved to be a hitter and Norton knows what to do with that.

endzorn

Reaction score
If Grigson doesn't get GM of the year for picking up McGill then that award means nothing to me.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
So is there a practice squad therapy thread where we can all commiserate over the loss of our favorite PS players?

I am going to be honest on Lambert. I loved his film but I didn't see a whole lot in the preseason that separated him. Even though, let's be honest, not seeing the practices makes it hard to say one guy doesn't belong.

But McGill is like the feeling I had when they got rid of Bennett. There is no way that guy is not still playing pro football 3 years from now. At a position where productive guys are hard to find and really hit & miss. So you kind of want to keep the hits.

And Martin looked raw as hell, but man did he look like a Jr. Legion of Boom guy if ever I saw one. More so than Terrell (who I am baffled keeps earning spots) and maybe even more than Johnson, though Johnson was more versatile and less raw.

Martin I can understand hoping he sneaks through to the PS but McGill? (spelling?) They needed to keep him. We are going to look back on that roster move later with regret. There will be a time this year when having him on the roster would have helped. Productive DL guys always do.

I still think we have some big weaknesses at WR, so glad to see Martin & Kasen not claimed.

jake206

Reaction score
McGill ...ouch..figured he made the roster. But the others, still replaceable. I hope the run defense is stout this year.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I think letting McGill go was a mistake. He flashed crazy skills as a gap-shooting dt.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
vin.couve12":2ry1mnys said:
Obum is a guy that really should have been kept. SLB looms as a concern next year with Irvin almost assuredly leaving. Obum's talent would have been more fitted for us to use him as a backup to Irvin to groom to compete next year. I do very much like Pinkins, but he's still a little light in the arse and Morgan....nothing but a ST player. When he has reps with the 1s he's a consistent problem at the edge in the run game. He's quite terrible at it. On top of that he's got a hammy issue probably for a few weeks.

This year I'm actually having a tough time with some of these decisions. Not so much in the previous 3 years.

Pinkins probably could gain 10-15 more pounds still retain most of his elite athleticism.

In a way Pinkins career trajectory kind of reminds me of Irvin, who was a safety in JuCo. Irvin played at 225 when he got to West Virginia, then beefed up to 245 by the time he got to his combine, then has gained another 15-20 pounds in the last 3 1/2 years.

I think Irvin came into the league at 25 years old and Pinkins 22 years and just turned 24 years old. So still plenty of time to keep developing.

But I would add not having a 260 pound SLB isnt the end all... Malcolm Smith was no bigger than 230, Morgan 230... And if all else fails Wright can move back to SLB and you plug in KPL at WLB.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
You know you have a lot of talented players on your team's roster when your fans are frustrated over not getting cut players on the practice squad.

purpleneer

Reaction score
Add me to the group baffled by leaving McGill available. I thought he looked pretty good, and all those other positives mentioned, especially with the potential of Mebane being a short-timer from here out. I'd throw in Dobbs with King as choices for the guy to swap out.
The other guys feel like long-term losses, but probably a year away from being worth the roster spot to a true contender (except maybe Lambert or Martin v Terrell). And here's one of my irrational pet peeves: I'm probably harder on Martin for the same reason I got annoyed watching Maxwell, I don't understand why you would wear loose-fitting long sleeves. It just seems wrong to me.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":143mvnvb said:
When you are the rich kid on the block and the ice cream man comes a callin, you buy the poor kids a Creamsicle.

Except sometime we keep a turdsicle (Steven Terrell) and waive a creamsicle like Ronald Martin. Unbelievable.

Largent80

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":rrkqxyqi said:
When you are the rich kid on the block and the ice cream man comes a callin, you buy the poor kids a Creamsicle.

Except that cream sickles are awesome. I assume you adore Big Sticks.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
purpleneer":1l4ryidx said:
Add me to the group baffled by leaving McGill available. I thought he looked pretty good, and all those other positives mentioned, especially with the potential of Mebane being a short-timer from here out. I'd throw in Dobbs with King as choices for the guy to swap out.
The other guys feel like long-term losses, but probably a year away from being worth the roster spot to a true contender (except maybe Lambert or Martin v Terrell). And here's one of my irrational pet peeves: I'm probably harder on Martin for the same reason I got annoyed watching Maxwell, I don't understand why you would wear loose-fitting long sleeves. It just seems wrong to me.

I feel the same about McGill. He was showing up and making plays. He's quick, powerful, plays lower and stronger at POA than Rubin IMO. Don't understand why we kept either Dobbs or King instead. Seems like this team is slowly drifting away from what has made it great.

Instead of working with very promising young talent, we seen to be in a Holmgrenesch comfort zone by hanging onto mediocre players we know more about. Does the ST coach trump our other coaches when it comes to final cut downs? I'm normally kinda 'meh' about whomever we release, because it can be reasoned that team depth makes keeping them super difficult. In this case, I felt that at least three of the released player were better than the supposed 'depth' they were released in favor of. Most glaring cut being Martin, loose sleeves or not :mrgreen: . Very puzzling.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":357jv0ux said:
Really surprised about Obum and Lambert.. McGill not at all.

Then you haven't paid attention. Lambert and Obum spent a good portion of TC injured. All McGill did was show up and be a force every day. Much worse, why keep King or Dobbs over him...especially King.

He ranks right up there with Martin in head-scratching moves.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2ch377od said:
Hasselbeck":2ch377od said:
volsunghawk":2ch377od said:
hawknation2015":2ch377od said:
McGill, Martin, and Lambert . . . :pukeface:

But no Kevin Smith or Kasen Williams . . . yay for that.

There's a reason for that.

Husky fans would never overvalue former players .. Never! :sarcasm_on:

You didn't think Kevin Smith and Kasen Williams looked good? I certainly did, but I'm a Husky fan. I don't think there is a lot of faith around the league in our WR corps, unlike our defensive line and DBs. The players at those position groups are more likely to appeal to teams.
Apparently hasselbeck hates anything and everything UW and hates the fact that the school even has a football program

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I agree that waiving McGill was a head scratcher especially considering Pete's "always compete " mantra? I don't know what more the kid could have done in the time he was given? Who picked him up?

vin.couve12

Reaction score
There's a distinct difference between "good college players" and "NFL talent."

UW HAD quite a bit of it. I think there is another WR there that got hurt this year who has NFL talent, but wouldn't necessarily be a good college player because of the disgusting QB situation at UW. On defense they were depleted in the draft.

I do find it interesting how many UW players have been successful in sticking with NFL teams the past few years as opposed to Oregon players. Again, there's a distinct different between good college player and NFL talent. A lot of it just has to do with the college program and their respective systems. At that NFL level it's about talent projection.

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3bsoupv3 said:
Hasselbeck":3bsoupv3 said:
volsunghawk":3bsoupv3 said:
hawknation2015":3bsoupv3 said:
McGill, Martin, and Lambert . . . :pukeface:

But no Kevin Smith or Kasen Williams . . . yay for that.

There's a reason for that.

Husky fans would never overvalue former players .. Never! :sarcasm_on:

You didn't think Kevin Smith and Kasen Williams looked good? I certainly did, but I'm a Husky fan. I don't think there is a lot of faith around the league in our WR corps, unlike our defensive line and DBs. The players at those position groups are more likely to appeal to teams.

Sure they looked good, but there are also a ton of guys that are comparable to them around the league.