Meet Russell Flacco

erik2690

Reaction score
He hasn't played very well certainly and has seemed streaky in some games, but I still don't think he is like holding it back from taking off or anything. This hasn't been a good first 9 games, I need a much bigger sample of struggle (like beyond 1 season even) to start really wondering about future success.

400WattHPSHawk

Reaction score
northseahawk":18sqgrm9 said:
At least he says "GO HAWKS" at the end of his interviews.
That's enough for many people here.

Does he still say that? I haven't watched one of his pressers this year.

Can't take them anymore.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
RW definitely missed some throws. Throws that are easy for an NFL QB to make. The interception on the deep ball to DB really stands out. RW had all kinds of room to the inside of the numbers to give DB a chance to make a play.

Swing pass to ML that had way too much mustard on it. He doesn't seem focused on the game.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
There were rumbles last year. He never threw receivers open, he needed guys to be WIIIIDDDEEE open before he threw the ball. the grumblings have grown louder this year. With just this week, Bevell, Cable, and baldwin all basically calling him out..........

Mean while he's traveling the world with his celev gf on the bye week..... We screwed up paying him....

SeaChase

Reaction score
gowazzu02":3cquog0t said:
There were rumbles last year. He never threw receivers open, he needed guys to be WIIIIDDDEEE open before he threw the ball. the grumblings have grown louder this year. With just this week, Bevell, Cable, and baldwin all basically calling him out..........

Mean while he's traveling the world with his celev gf on the bye week..... We screwed up paying him....

Meanwhile people on here still get offended if you mention his poor play.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
SeaChase":3r1nu52v said:
gowazzu02":3r1nu52v said:

Yeah people are in the "if you dont support them nomatter what trash they put on the field then your a bandwagoner" Whatever. We're fans, we can be critical.

New England has a revolving door at oline all year, starting at some point 3 rookies. The difference, Brady gets the ball out quickly on time. RW doesn't do that. Im sure some of it is Bevell, but alot of it is wilson.

Hawks46

Reaction score
TorontoHawk":2hrsm4fy said:
hawksfansinceday1":2hrsm4fy said:
bmorepunk":2hrsm4fy said:
hawkfannj":2hrsm4fy said:
In all seriousness when you pay a guy that type of money you saying he can carry the team to victory not so much with scramble first RW . I think we got the best out of him and payed him 1 year to early IMHO . He would have been dirt cheep this year

No, he was paid that amount because the economics of NFL quarterbacks requires it. They can pay him market value, or they take their chances, likely wallowing without a good quarterback for many years like a bunch of other franchises. They could have waited, and it might have paid off, but someone would likely still have paid Wilson as much as the Seahawks are.
Geez I wish the RW haters would get this.

Seems like a lot of RW haters lately. I have never seen a fan base turn on there players so quickly. Don't get it. When Green Bay or New England don't have a great year, they fix it and I think the Hawks will do the same as well, might be lost this year but we will be fixed.

You must not have heard the Patriots fans the first half of last year and the year before. It was all "Brady is washed up, get rid of Brady, if we had a QB we'd be killing people" all over their talk radio. Brady has done far more in his career than Wilson has up to this point, and yet there was no consideration of that.

The problem is, there was half a dozen teams (if not more) that would've paid Wilson what we did, or likely more. Ask Houston, NY Jets, Buffalo, Titans, Bengals (before this year), Browns (before this year), Chiefs, Eagles, Redskins, Vikings, Rams and Niners fans how they like having a solid to good team without even mediocre QB play the last few years.

There's a crap ton of teams out there that have struggled to find a good QB in the draft, spent tons of 1st round picks and still come up short. It's not easy.

mrt144

Reaction score
gowazzu02":231qwjbh said:
SeaChase":231qwjbh said:
gowazzu02":231qwjbh said:

Yeah people are in the "if you dont support them nomatter what trash they put on the field then your a bandwagoner" Whatever. We're fans, we can be critical.

New England has a revolving door at oline all year, starting at some point 3 rookies. The difference, Brady gets the ball out quickly on time. RW doesn't do that. Im sure some of it is Bevell, but alot of it is wilson.

The part that's on Bevell is that some of the play concepts are the exact opposite of what people laud in Brady and the Pats offense - long developing plays that don't provide any sort of outlet - check any of plays that employ a 'Hawk' concept - there is nothing shorter than 8 yards on that with barely any play awareness by the WRs. The part that's also on Bevell is that methodical run first football is not on the table this year because the OL isn't doing well on run blocking and we're seeing exactly what happens when you're forced out of the comfort zone. I alluded to this on fieldgulls too but we're really not playing the same type of football this year. Absent 3 years of practice of actually playing methodical passing offense this is the result we're seeing. I think one of the biggest flaws in the criticism of RW and the offense is seeing it as a slide on the microscope rather than a movie that has been years in the making.

The things that are on Wilson are obvious to the naked eye and are almost not worth mentioning - high passes on the run, not stepping into throws as much, not identifying mismatches in personnel. The real trick is separating how much of this is because he lacks the natural ability, how much he lacks the ability to learn, and how much falls on his teammates and coaches in blowing their opportunities or not even creating them. At this point we're arguing about the proportions of ingredients the sausage, not the contents themselves.

As I keep repeating, the reason I'm not as harsh on RW is because he's young and he's only ever known one OC and rightly or wrongly, I think it's easier to replace a purely cognitive role on the team at OC than it is to go fish on a QB.

mrt144

Reaction score
Also how many examples are there of same coach, same OC, different QB, Superbowl? How many examples of different HC or different OC same QB, Superbowl. Essentially, this is all boiling down into answering a question of what moves are made 3 to 4 years from now.

AVL

Reaction score
How can one place host so many whiners?

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score

The salary cap is starting to expose Seattle's depth across the board (Except RB...RAWLS IS MAN).

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
mrt144":1kv0kyyp said:
The part that's on Bevell is that some of the play concepts are the exact opposite of what people laud in Brady and the Pats offense - long developing plays that don't provide any sort of outlet - check any of plays that employ a 'Hawk' concept - there is nothing shorter than 8 yards on that with barely any play awareness by the WRs. The part that's also on Bevell is that methodical run first football is not on the table this year because the OL isn't doing well on run blocking and we're seeing exactly what happens when you're forced out of the comfort zone. I alluded to this on fieldgulls too but we're really not playing the same type of football this year. Absent 3 years of practice of actually playing methodical passing offense this is the result we're seeing. I think one of the biggest flaws in the criticism of RW and the offense is seeing it as a slide on the microscope rather than a movie that has been years in the making.

The things that are on Wilson are obvious to the naked eye and are almost not worth mentioning - high passes on the run, not stepping into throws as much, not identifying mismatches in personnel. The real trick is separating how much of this is because he lacks the natural ability, how much he lacks the ability to learn, and how much falls on his teammates and coaches in blowing their opportunities or not even creating them. At this point we're arguing about the proportions of ingredients the sausage, not the contents themselves.

As I keep repeating, the reason I'm not as harsh on RW is because he's young and he's only ever known one OC and rightly or wrongly, I think it's easier to replace a purely cognitive role on the team at OC than it is to go fish on a QB.
Spot on post.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
AVL":31kdbl10 said:

It's embarrassing.

Always thought Seahawks fans were above all this. And they're definitely not. Which is disappointing.

First sign of adversity and this is the reaction.

Seymour

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":15rw8guk said:
AVL":15rw8guk said:

It's embarrassing.

Always thought Seahawks fans were above all this. And they're definitely not. Which is disappointing.

I believe that first sign of adversity began last Feb 1st not "this" season. Or even the Packers game he gave up 4 picks.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Seymour":1k24nvi3 said:
theENGLISHseahawk":1k24nvi3 said:
AVL":1k24nvi3 said:

It's embarrassing.

I believe that first sign of adversity began last Feb 1st not "this" season. Or even the Packers game he gave up 4 picks.

3 of which were on Kearse. Yet other than the pick in the SB he actually played a great game

hawk45

Reaction score
Russell has had a down year, I'd like to see what he'd do after a nice stretch behind actual NFL linemen.
We've seen QBs struggle, before, then blocking improves and magically all the bad habits seem to reverse.
Don't think Russell will ever be Brady, but not ready to conclude he can't be effective and a game changer still.
Hard to remember when he struggles like he is struggling this year. He used to always make that play in the clutch even after not really throwing it around much early. Then again the D used to be able to stop...anyone, and the D didn't decide to roll with a bunch of misfit converts up front.

Anthony!

Reaction score
hawk45":15lz7l45 said:
Russell has had a down year, I'd like to see what he'd do after a nice stretch behind actual NFL linemen.
We've seen QBs struggle, before, then blocking improves and magically all the bad habits seem to reverse.
Don't think Russell will ever be Brady, but not ready to conclude he can't be effective and a game changer still.
Hard to remember when he struggles like he is struggling this year. He used to always make that play in the clutch even after not really throwing it around much early. Then again the D used to be able to stop...anyone, and the D didn't decide to roll with a bunch of misfit converts up front.

To me it is simple before this year the worst oline he had to play behind was ranked 24th. The best 22nd. Now he has 32nd that is a huge difference. Add to that the play calling and design has gotten worse and then you have a QB trying to do to much, felling like he has to make up for oline, play calling, play design etc. Thats to much for any QB

Greenhell

Reaction score
SouthSoundHawk":3017miyg said:

The salary cap is starting to expose Seattle's depth across the board (Except RB...RAWLS IS MAN).

RAWLS IS MAN!