Miami Trade DB Minkah Fitzpatrick to the Steelers

Seymour

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2q0707b6 said:
Seymour":2q0707b6 said:
Uncle Si":2q0707b6 said:
Seymour":2q0707b6 said:
When you look at the recent play of Thompson and Flowers we may have "enough" people, but we sure dont have "good enough" people.

Would they be better with better safety help though?

Investment with those draft picks may need to.go elsewhere to see more efectivessness

Not sure but Blair is a health risk with a thin build and big hitter. So even if he is great, and good backup FS / starting DB2 may end up useful in the long run.

Sub-par FS already cost us 7 points in week 1.

That's what I'm saying... isn't Fitzpatrick a NCB? I know the dolphins move him but apparently thats why he wants out

His college stats were best there yes. But that doesn't mean he isn't a better DB than Flowers or a better FS than Thompson / Blair either. I think he likely may be both. So any starting upgrade for cheap 4 year deal (cheap over FA that is), would be a good investment IMO. Also, our LOB needs something because right now they are legion of bad.

Osprey

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":20szqson said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Pregame_Steam/status/1172411805764767744[/tweet]
If you’re Minkah that looks like a three horse race. Not sure how much influence he’ll ultimately have though.

Seymour

Reaction score
He has no leverage here so the Phins will take the best offer here regardless of where he wants to go IMO.

If he is indeed a starter quality dude, a 2nd would be worth it IMO.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Osprey":28ujdv9j said:
And now, my bubble is burst:
http://seahawksdraftblog.com/why-a-minkah-fitzpatrick-trade-to-seattle-might-be-unlikely

Agree that a slot isn't worth a 1st, but is a multi-tool who could provide competition for Blair at FS worth a 2nd?

Don't we have to ask.. if he was entering this years draft..at what spot would he be taken in.. he was after all like, what the 9th or 11th pick a year ago..giving up the #20 something isn't a big thing to me for a quality caliber player.

jmahon316

Reaction score
Work your magic, Schneider!!! Let's give them a 2nd and be one step closer to locking down our defense

Chapow

Reaction score
I'd have no problem giving up a 1st for him because I think it's pretty damn likely that he's better than whoever we would be able to get with that pick anyway.

I'd be ecstatic if we got him for a 2nd.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Bobblehead":1y15i4g1 said:
Osprey":1y15i4g1 said:
http://seahawksdraftblog.com/why-a-minkah-fitzpatrick-trade-to-seattle-might-be-unlikely

Agree that a slot isn't worth a 1st, but is a multi-tool who could provide competition for Blair at FS worth a 2nd?

Don't we have to ask.. if he was entering this years draft..at what spot would he be taken in.. he was after all like, what the 9th or 11th pick a year ago..giving up the #20 something isn't a big thing to me for a quality caliber player.

1. Of course the Dolphins WANT a 1st, but all reports have stated that it's more than likely going to be a 2nd or 3rd. No one's paying a 1st round for Fitzpatrick, they're just not. He's not an elite DB worthy of a 1st rounder, so let's get that out of the way.

2. If you give up a 2nd or 3rd? Then that's great, you add another versatile DB to the mix to compete for safety or CB over the next 3-4 years at a very team friendly price.

3. Most people said the Clowney trade was unlikely because Houston also wanted a 1st. We saw how that worked out.

Seymour

Reaction score
Tough to compare Clowney IMO. He was a proven starter but only has 1 year team control and a huge payday coming after that.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1c9cr6ui said:
Bobblehead":1c9cr6ui said:
Osprey":1c9cr6ui said:

1. Of course the Dolphins WANT a 1st, but all reports have stated that it's more than likely going to be a 2nd or 3rd. No one's paying a 1st round for Fitzpatrick, they're just not. He's not an elite DB worthy of a 1st rounder, so let's get that out of the way.

2. If you give up a 2nd or 3rd? Then that's great, you add another versatile DB to the mix to compete for safety or CB over the next 3-4 years at a very team friendly price.

3. Most people said the Clowney trade was unlikely because Houston also wanted a 1st. We saw how that worked out.
1. this
2. this
3. this

especially #1

bestfightstory

Reaction score
I will be very surprised if Minka isn't with another team by day's end Saturday. He would upgrade the secondary immediately and long term for many teams in contention currently. I suspect somebody will pay a high price and it will be worth it. If it cost us a 1st, I wouldn't balk.

For those of you with Twitter check out what Jim Nagy (Schneider guy) has to say about Minkah today.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":31ugt8i3 said:
Bobblehead":31ugt8i3 said:
Osprey":31ugt8i3 said:

Completely different situation than the Clowney trade. Dolphins for one, arn't in a desperate forced situation to get rid of him, where as Houston was. I've never read or heard that Houston wanted a 1st, most was a 2nd or a 3rd and a player.

IDK, if he's as good as experts say he is and that he's only going to get better and with our 1st round track record, probably best to keep our 2nd and 3rd and dump our 1st... maybe we can get a 7th to go along with him.

Seymour

Reaction score
Bobblehead":19v1xjdh said:
Sgt. Largent":19v1xjdh said:
Bobblehead":19v1xjdh said:
Osprey":19v1xjdh said:

Completely different situation than the Clowney trade. Dolphins for one, arn't in a desperate forced situation to get rid of him, where as Houston was. I've never read or heard that Houston wanted a 1st, most was a 2nd or a 3rd and a player.

IDK, if he's as good as experts say he is and that he's only going to get better and with our 1st round track record, probably best to keep our 2nd and 3rd and dump our 1st... maybe we can get a 7th to go along with him.

There may be some truth to that, but they could trade down that 1st and get a 2nd and 3rd at least so you still lose way more value on the 1st.

Agree that Clowney on a 1 year then huge contract is no compare to a 1st year player you control 4+ years also.

Chapow

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2drn6o8c said:
Of course the Dolphins WANT a 1st, but all reports have stated that it's more than likely going to be a 2nd or 3rd. No one's paying a 1st round for Fitzpatrick, they're just not. He's not an elite DB worthy of a 1st rounder, so let's get that out of the way.

Just my opinion, but I don't think a player needs to be elite to be worthy of a late 1st round pick. Most 1st round picks do not turn out to be elite, especially those in the bottom 10-12 of the 1st round. I'd take a young, cheap, quality starter that makes our team better for a late 1st all day long. I also think there's a good chance Fitzpatrick would be better than just a quality starter for a Pete Carroll coached defense.

*Yes, I am assuming that our pick will end up being in the bottom 10-12 of the 1st round because I think that is the most likely outcome.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Seymour":2bgu7ft9 said:
Uncle Si":2bgu7ft9 said:
Seymour":2bgu7ft9 said:
MontanaHawk05":2bgu7ft9 said:
For Blair, and for Hill, and for Amadi, and for Taylor...eventually you have to wonder whether we already have enough people. I think we do.

When you look at the recent play of Thompson and Flowers we may have "enough" people, but we sure dont have "good enough" people.

Investment with those draft picks may need to.go elsewhere to see more efectivessness

Not sure but Blair is a health risk with a thin build and big hitter. So even if he is great, and good backup FS / starting DB2 may end up useful in the long run.

You still aren't addressing the presence of Ugo Amadi and Lano Hill. Amadi has epic potential and PC has really liked Hill in tandem with McD before.

We might go for him, but between our number of untested players still on the depth chart and Minkah's sub-elite status, there's no way I give up a first for him. Possibly not even a 2nd.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Seymour":3n7djwbn said:
Bobblehead":3n7djwbn said:
Sgt. Largent":3n7djwbn said:
Bobblehead":3n7djwbn said:

There may be some truth to that, but they could trade down that 1st and get a 2nd and 3rd at least so you still lose way more value on the 1st.

Agree that Clowney on a 1 year then huge contract is no compare to a 1st year player you control 4+ years also.

Yeah, I thought of that, however, when John does that, trade down for more draft spots, I've always felt it was a "throw a bunch of noodles on the wall and lets see what sticks" approach. It wouldn't matter to me where the player is drafted as long as he's not a role/filler player. If it's a first so be it, we still have our 2nd and 3rd... From all accounts this guy can play and is well suited for our need, just ask TT.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Chapow":ek7z68m7 said:
Sgt. Largent":ek7z68m7 said:
Of course the Dolphins WANT a 1st, but all reports have stated that it's more than likely going to be a 2nd or 3rd. No one's paying a 1st round for Fitzpatrick, they're just not. He's not an elite DB worthy of a 1st rounder, so let's get that out of the way.

Just my opinion, but I don't think a player needs to be elite to be worthy of a late 1st round pick. Most 1st round picks do not turn out to be elite, especially those in the bottom 10-12 of the 1st round. I'd take a young, cheap, quality starter that makes our team better for a late 1st all day long. I also think there's a good chance Fitzpatrick would be better than just a quality starter for a Pete Carroll coached defense.

*Yes, I am assuming that our pick will end up being in the bottom 10-12 of the 1st round because I think that is the most likely outcome.

It doesn't matter where the player was selected in the draft, Fitzpatrick's value is now what he's done and what his potential is.

Look no further than our own Earl Thomas, he was about to go to the Cowboys for a 2nd, and he was one of the best safeties in the league.

You rarely get back in value what you drafted a player at, especially for a tweener player like Fitzpatrick that no one can really figure out (including the Dolphins) where to play him.

So I HIGHLY doubt any teams is going to give up a 1st rounder for a nickel corner that MIGHT have potential to play safety or CB.

Seymour

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":6papkv8g said:
Seymour":6papkv8g said:
Uncle Si":6papkv8g said:
Seymour":6papkv8g said:

You still aren't addressing the presence of Ugo Amadi and Lano Hill.
Amadi has epic potential and PC has really liked Hill in tandem with McD before.

We might go for him, but between our number of untested players still on the depth chart and Minkah's sub-elite status, there's no way I give up a first for him. Possibly not even a 2nd.

Not directly, no. But IMO Pete has by starting Flowers and Thompson over them. I'm left to assume that the depth behind them is worse if I'm to believe that we have a competent coaching staff.

And...the big if I said was if Fitzpatrick is of starter quality which to be fair I'm a bit uncertain still (but more guessing he is) being a rookie.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Seymour":3iih0ip5 said:
MontanaHawk05":3iih0ip5 said:
Seymour":3iih0ip5 said:
Uncle Si":3iih0ip5 said:

You still aren't addressing the presence of Ugo Amadi and Lano Hill.
Amadi has epic potential and PC has really liked Hill in tandem with McD before.

Not directly, no. But IMO Pete has by starting Flowers and Thompson over them. I'm left to assume that the depth behind them is worse if I'm to believe that we have a competent coaching staff.

And...the big if I said was if Fitzpatrick is of starter quality which to be fair I'm a bit uncertain still (but more guessing he is) being a rookie.

Flowers is an outside CB and not in the mix for nickel or safety. Tedric just sat the whole week out.

Additionally, Amadi is a rookie and Hill has been dealing with injury, like Blair. Before the injury, he got significant time at safety.

So there are sufficient reasons to think that T2 starting the season isn't an ironclad endorsement from Pete.